Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
RE: The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
Hi timmo_1949,
WELCOME! to Apnea board.!
Masks are such an individual thing. If you have tried all the different cushions to get a proper fit and it didn't wor,, you will probably need to try a different mask.
Don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'til you find the right mask for you.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2014, 11:14 AM)timmo_1949 Wrote: I don't much care for my Wisp. They gave it to me a titration sleep study. It is light and small and all, but I wake up with the tip of my nose being sore. Sometimes it moves such that inhalation is blocked, too. Seems like there should be a gel pad just inside the clear seal.

Your results may vary.

Timmo

try a different cushion size and also don't put the cushion up on the bridge of your nose. it isn't designed to go way up there. hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 02:32 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Anyone having problems with the wisp mask causing pressure soars on the bridge of their nose? I had this problem big time with the wisp. The mask was as loose as it gets and still it almost created an open wound on the bridge of my nose? Even after tightening it to the max it mangled up my nose.

I wonder why I am the only one experiencing this with the wisp? My nose is thin up top and wide at the bottom, maybe my facial features just don't work with this mask?

I also get the pressure sores on the bridge of my nose using the Wisp. I have both the fabric and the silicone frames and I get the sores when I use the fabric. The fabric frame seems to twist some on my face when I roll around while sleeping. It doesn't happen with the hard frame though. I am currently using the Resmed Activa LT, I found that the Wisp leaked more than I liked. The Activa LT tend to glue to my face resulting in a very low leak rate and without getting my nose bridge sore. The Wisp is great, but I found something that works better. My Wisp is now my backup.
Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eleong2,
It's good that you found a solution that works well for you. I don't have that problem, but masks are an individual thing, what works for me just might not work for you and that's okay.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
This mask is really good for me. I put it on and no leaks and I like the fact that it has three sizes of mask. The only thing I don't like about it is the harness, that it goes under my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 02:32 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Anyone having problems with the wisp mask causing pressure soars on the bridge of their nose? I had this problem big time with the wisp. The mask was as loose as it gets and still it almost created an open wound on the bridge of my nose? Even after tightening it to the max it mangled up my nose.

I wonder why I am the only one experiencing this with the wisp? My nose is thin up top and wide at the bottom, maybe my facial features just don't work with this mask?

(02-27-2014, 10:20 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:

I also get the pressure sores on the bridge of my nose using the Wisp. I have both the fabric and the silicone frames and I get the sores when I use the fabric. The fabric frame seems to twist some on my face when I roll around while sleeping. It doesn't happen with the hard frame though. I am currently using the Resmed Activa LT, I found that the Wisp leaked more than I liked. The Activa LT tend to glue to my face resulting in a very low leak rate and without getting my nose bridge sore. The Wisp is great, but I found something that works better. My Wisp is now my backup.
Ed

Folks, i'm a little late to this party but would submit that significant pressure induced ulceration(s) on the bridge of the nose or on the immediately surrounding skin can be exceedingly dangerous and difficult to resolve. Any level of damage wherein the integrity of the skin is broken with non-blanchable redness of a localized area (i.e. Category/Stage 1 pressure ulceration) that even slightly approximates an open wound should immediately increase one's level of concern if not indicate the need for timely medical attention. Non-blanchable injury is where the degree of redness of the skin is more intensely red, does not change in color intensity when pressed with a finger, and can be an early sign of tissue destruction. In contrast, a blanchable insult pales when pressed with a fingertip, and then quickly turns red again when pressure is removed.

Visually judging the extent of an ulcer can be difficult and any chronic ulcerative process on the bridge of the nose warrants examination. IMO, no barrier, chemical or otherwise, should be depended upon to resolve an ongoing ulceration of the bridge of the nose unless recommended by a medical profession who is well versed in wound care.

That said, 3M manufactures a readily available barrier product named Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film which could be helpful in the case of minor localized pressure or friction induced irritation which is being caused by a mask or mask cushion.

[commercial links removed per Apnea Board rules]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Oops, sorry for the breach boss!

For more details, sources of supply, and a how-to application video on Cavilon, search Google for "Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film"
Post Reply Post Reply

I know the last post on this was from July but I just started using this mask 3 nights ago. I am very impressed and have no leaking with it. I put the felt strap cozy things over the clips and have no lines on my face in the morning. The reason I docked the mask one star is the sizing of the cushion. The template said I'm a s/m but that pinched my nostrils closed. So I went with the large cushion and it fits beautifully. I highly reccomend getting the fit pack if you get this mask so you can try the different cushion sizes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the review!

And unlike the rest of the forum, there's no such thing as "raising the dead" here in terms of when a thread was last used.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got this mask from my DME when I picked up my machine. I have the fabric frame installed. When I first used it with a size large cushion, it made my whole nose red - like a nasty windburn/sunburn. Once that resolved, I tried again with the XL size. Works well, doesn't leak much as I toss and turn, and most importantly, doesn't hurt my nose. I like this mask a good deal, and it is my first alternate at this time.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,699 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,233 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,012 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,016 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] F&P Evora nasal mask yankees123 26 12,794 11-07-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,279 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,714 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.