Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The S9's here and I love it!
RE: The S9's here and I love it!
(02-19-2014, 11:37 PM)herbm Wrote: That is super. Do that for a few months and you should feel a lot better and be well on your way to healing your organs.

You might feel better sooner but lots of people say it takes time to reverse the results of years of bad sleep.

Glad it is working for you.

As to the "chipmunk cheeks" you are wearing a nasal (only) mask, right?

The pressure comes in the back of your mouth and puffs out your cheeks.

I have what may be an unusual ability to close of my mouth while breathing through my nose so I avoid this 99% of the time.

Try to let the back of you tongue ride up and back a bit to block the top-back of your mouth and seal the air in your nose to lung airway.

Otherwise you might wear a chin strap just to keep your cheeks in as opposed to your mouth closes.
Cheers Herb, I'll give it my best shot. It's funny because I hadn't had it happen any other nights. The mystery of cpap.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 02:20 AM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 05:34 PM)Gabby Wrote: ...
Next thing, I turned my humidifier up to 27 last night but I am not sure if it is working.
Is the water meant to heat up, is the air meant to be warm and last but not least is the hose meant to feel warm? I have a climateline hose.
Because none of these things were warm. Would just like to confirm this with you to make sure it is working ok thanks.

Cannot say I have noticed anything myself, but I will make a note to feel the chamber tomorrow morning and the hose to see if they feel warm. The air certainly doesn't feel warm to me. Though in this weather we are experiencing presently it might be hard to tell. :grin:

Thanks for that, as long as I know that the air doesn't feel warm and if you haven't really noticed anything in the past, there is probably no warmth in those places to be felt. Yes we are having some warm ones aren't we? Roll on Autumn, best time of the year.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2014, 05:34 PM)Gabby Wrote: Next thing, I turned my humidifier up to 27 last night but I am not sure if it is working.
Is the water meant to heat up, is the air meant to be warm and last but not least is the hose meant to feel warm? I have a climateline hose.
Because none of these things were warm. Would just like to confirm this with you to make sure it is working ok thanks.

It's pretty warm and humid in Qld at the moment, so 27c is only a couple of degrees above ambient - not enough to notice much of a difference. In that type of weather I'd expect the water level to only drop a few millimetres - you'll notice it more when the weather is dryer. Might use up to half a tank full.

Your AHI and leaks look very good!
Post Reply Post Reply
I sure don't notice the "heat" of the heated hose (and I usually drape it across my neck or even tucked under my arm.

The neck is very sensitive and under the arm would trap the heat if it were noticeably warm. Neither demonstrates the hose is "warm".

All this in a bedroom that is a least 65 degrees.

The air should not be particularly hot either. If you noticed it then it would probably be TOO hot.

My understanding is that (most of?) the machines heat the water to the given temperature (or the one required by the humidity) and the air just passes passively over the water to pick up moisture. (Someone else may have a better or more machine specific explanation.)

The air will be just a bit warmer than the surrounding room in any case due to the increase in pressure -- unless and until it passes through a hose that is cooler due to ambient air.

When the hose is heated this generally prevents much cooling as the air traverses the hose.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay I did check the temps this morning using my infrared thermometer and found the following.

The heater element in the humidifier was spot on 27*.

The base of the water chamber was around 28*.

The climate line hose was also around 28* measured closer to the mask end.

As far as ambient temperature, it was 26* in the house and around the same outside.

To touch the hose did feel cool, but I expect that given the results as normal body temperature should be around 37* give or take.

Hope this helps with your endeavours and offers a little peace of mind that things are progressing.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is very cool (infrared thermometer).

Smile Sure beats the old fashioned way that I used (sticking it under my arm. ) Smile

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 03:57 PM)herbm Wrote: That is very cool (infrared thermometer).

Smile Sure beats the old fashioned way that I used (sticking it under my arm. ) Smile

We don't muck around in Australia Herb Smile
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 03:09 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote: Okay I did check the temps this morning using my infrared thermometer and found the following.

The heater element in the humidifier was spot on 27*.

The base of the water chamber was around 28*.

The climate line hose was also around 28* measured closer to the mask end.

As far as ambient temperature, it was 26* in the house and around the same outside.

To touch the hose did feel cool, but I expect that given the results as normal body temperature should be around 37* give or take.

Hope this helps with your endeavours and offers a little peace of mind that things are progressing.
Cheers TOG, I appreciate you taking the time and effort. It just makes it hard when you are batting blind. At least I know now all equipment is as it should be.
Another hot one.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 10:00 AM)herbm Wrote: I sure don't notice the "heat" of the heated hose (and I usually drape it across my neck or even tucked under my arm.

The neck is very sensitive and under the arm would trap the heat if it were noticeably warm. Neither demonstrates the hose is "warm".

All this in a bedroom that is a least 65 degrees.

The air should not be particularly hot either. If you noticed it then it would probably be TOO hot.

My understanding is that (most of?) the machines heat the water to the given temperature (or the one required by the humidity) and the air just passes passively over the water to pick up moisture. (Someone else may have a better or more machine specific explanation.)

The air will be just a bit warmer than the surrounding room in any case due to the increase in pressure -- unless and until it passes through a hose that is cooler due to ambient air.

When the hose is heated this generally prevents much cooling as the air traverses the hose.
Thanks Herb, I am getting the impression that all is as it should be. Thanks for taking special note for me.
I had a shocking nights sleep with a terrible nightmare thrown in. It showed, with my AHI'S being up to 7.5 last night where as other nights they have been around 2.5.
Machine said leaks were fine though. Haven't checked SleepyHead yet. The only thing I can really read on that is leaks and AHI'S, the rest of it doesn't mean much, but I'm happy with that for a beginner.
The lady whom I sent the S8 back to rang me yesterday to tell me she had read my SD card and she thought I had excellent results. She was really impressed. Said I was very, very good for a newbie.
If I hadn't been on this forum soaking up all this valuable information over the past months, no way would I have received that glowing report.
She is going to email info to Drs. and see if they want to increase pressure on my machine, she thinks it could do with a slight increase.
Otherwise, part from bad sleep, nothing to do with machine, all going well.
One day at a time....
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 07:27 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 05:34 PM)Gabby Wrote: Next thing, I turned my humidifier up to 27 last night but I am not sure if it is working.

It's pretty warm and humid in Qld at the moment, so 27c is only a couple of degrees above ambient - not enough to notice much of a difference. In that type of weather I'd expect the water level to only drop a few millimetres - you'll notice it more when the weather is dryer. Might use up to half a tank full.

Your AHI and leaks look very good!
Hi Paul, just checked and you are right, water level has not moved an awful lot.
It makes it hard when you haven't worked with something before and you are not sure if it's doing its job in the correct way.
I am feeling positive now because of the feedback from all you good people that I am on the right track.
I see you are in for another hot one today, stay cool.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 238 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 515 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 367 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 4,918 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,130 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
Arrow Would love some feedback on OSCAR data esaulcatnas 3 504 08-31-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  I'd love a review of my data and/or advice, esp. re. waking up at night danielsomers 6 773 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Last Post: danielsomers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.