Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Seriousness Of Not Using Your C-Pap
The Seriousness Of Not Using Your C-Pap
How Can I Encourage A Recent Widow That She Needs To Use Her C-Pap?

I just got the dreaded call, a client died May 3rd. This man had COPD very badly and I didn't ask if he used a c-pap too. He was a slender man and a few months ago was put on oxygen. I mentioned I have sleep apnea and his wife said she does too but hated the sleep study in the hospital in Calif, though they lived here in AZ.Hated the c-pap and didn't use it. Now she is a new widow and grieving. She is already drained, grieving and her world is upside down she said. I can't imagine going one day without my c-pap. I told her I will bring my head gear and pillows to show her what I use. She doesn't even have a DME here because she worked in LA and traveled back and forth each week by air. I don't think she cares if she dies at age 72 or not right now. But if only she could get help she would feel better equipped to handle this loss. I often meet people who say they have SA but hated the mask and just gave it all up, saying they would rather die than sleep with that thing. This is so sad all the way around. The poor dog will need a new home too, as she has to resume work and is not home during the week for the dog. So she will loose her husband her dog all at the same time. People just don't seem to understand HOW important using the c-pap is and how much better they can feel. I still have fatigue but without my c-pap I'd be dead or never get out of bed. I don't want to bug her, just help gently if I can. He didn't die from lack of c-pap it was far worse than that. I don't even know if he had or used one.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Seriousness Of Not Using Your C-Pap
I sent you a private message as a response.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2012, 06:59 AM)iSnooze Wrote: I sent you a private message as a response.

Thank you. I guess if any others want to reply, that is the best way to go. It is almost off topic. I agree she has enough to think about right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the loss of your client. It's very kind of you to be concerned about the widow. If you gently encourage her and show her your gear at least you would have planted a seed. This kind of situation was always hard for me as a nurse- there are just some things I can't help people with.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.