Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to get UPPP surgery - Dr. denies me
RE: Trying to get UPPP surgery - Dr. denies me
Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2012, 09:25 AM)southernlady Wrote: Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.

i hope you mean your windpipe. the esophagus is the tube your food goes down. i hope your windpipe stays wide open when your body relaxes in deep sleep. that is when it really matters.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the update, southernlady.... keep us informed as to how the healing process goes in the weeks to come, okay? Also, after all this is done and you've fully recovered, let us know your thoughts or any tips you can share with others who might be considering the same procedure.

Thanks and good healing to you!

Wink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2012, 09:48 AM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(04-02-2012, 09:25 AM)southernlady Wrote: Well, I had the surgery on the 23rd of March...according to my MRI & X-rays, my esophagus is WIDE open now and it is still swollen! I have another 6 1/2 weeks of healing from this, then they go in and remove the braces part of the hardware in my mouth. I was told by my surgeon to request another sleep study after that.

i hope you mean your windpipe. the esophagus is the tube your food goes down. i hope your windpipe stays wide open when your body relaxes in deep sleep. that is when it really matters.

The part that was affected was the shared part...it was because it was so small the base of my tongue got in the way and that happened before it actually became my windpipe.

(04-02-2012, 10:25 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Thanks for the update, southernlady.... keep us informed as to how the healing process goes in the weeks to come, okay? Also, after all this is done and you've fully recovered, let us know your thoughts or any tips you can share with others who might be considering the same procedure.

Thanks and good healing to you!

Wink

I'm healing slowly...lost about 10 lbs because of the surgery and am now 6 weeks out...finally eating fairly normal. Altho I still have issues chewing. Smile I have the arch bars (wires) taken off on the 21st of May.

After that, I am to request another sleep study to see how this all worked.

Liz

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 04:25 PM)southernlady Wrote: I'm healing slowly...lost about 10 lbs because of the surgery and am now 6 weeks out...finally eating fairly normal. Altho I still have issues chewing. Smile I have the arch bars (wires) taken off on the 21st of May.

After that, I am to request another sleep study to see how this all worked.

Liz

Hi Liz... yeah, I'm really interested in finding out how your sleep study goes after all this... thanks for the update!

That is called losing weight the hard way, i guess. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 04:55 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi Liz... yeah, I'm really interested in finding out how your sleep study goes after all this... thanks for the update!

That is called losing weight the hard way, i guess. Thinking-about

I'll keep y'all updated but I figure it will be late June/into July before I get back in for another one.

Liz

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a UPPP surgery (which was very very painful btw). It cured my snoring but not my OSA - which is hardly a surprise as all the evidence apparently shows that it has a low success rate. Like a previous poster said, it was the worst decision I've ever made (and Ive made quite a few bad decisions in my time). It reduces the likelihood of cpap being successful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.