Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
RE: The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
Thanks, Walla Walla, for the theory about why my AHI might be lower during leaks than otherwise.

-------------

Yesterday's problem at the DME was not so much that Resmed doesn't make the right size mask for me, or the right kind. It was that the DME seemed to think only one mask came in a "for Her" model, when there are several.

And then there was their total lack of effort at hygiene. They handle those masks with no Purell, plop them down on desks, and put the icky measuring thing up to your face.

--------------

I picked up a mask from the DME (the only one they said Resmed made in my size): an F10. I wore it last night and had my lowest-leak night, so maybe things are looking up, but boy, does it seem clunky compared with the F20.

---------------

My experiment to notch up my pressure by small increments while controlling leakage is proving valuable. I am at 6-12 (prescription is 5-15). No more 50% leak rate.

---------------

I had a lower leak rate last night (13%), combined with AHI (7.46), but a crazy number of ultra-long apneas. 6 33+ OA's.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2017, 12:09 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Yesterday's problem at the DME was not so much that Resmed doesn't make the right size mask for me, or the right kind. It was that the DME seemed to think only one mask came in a "for Her" model, when there are several.

And then there was their total lack of effort at hygiene. They handle those masks with no Purell, plop them down on desks, and put the icky measuring thing up to your face.

Most of the "for Her" models are only different in coloring. I can't recall the particulars at the moment, but I telephoned ResMed to ask questions and only one of the headgear that I asked about had any difference whatsoever. Another came packaged with pillows including an extra small, Small & Medium whereas the regular came packaged with S, M, & L. Mostly they are just the same, but with pink/lavender headgear instead of blue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Kiwiiiiiiii! Wave Wave

The pink headgear is a different size and configuration. When I tried it on, the unisex F20 S mask was waay bigger than the for Her Small.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first use of nasal pillows gave me blisters on both cheeks!  I'm much more careful now.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is maybe not a mask indignity so much as a mask quirk....

Has anyone had the mask make their hair curly?  Laugh-a-lot  Now that I have an FFM, there has been an impressive evolution of my hairdo. It's not quite up to the moniker "big hair", or 'Lil Annie, but it's headed (so to speak) in that direction. Here it is fall, when it normally goes flat, and it's sprouting curls all over.

Must be the humidifier combined with leaks misting it all night.

That's not all. I've developed spectacular symmetrical flip curls along the sides of my head above the ears. My stylist has spent years try to effect this very look with shears, trimmers, razors.... Voilà, the headgear makes it happen with no effort. Yep, my flip curls come courtesy of the side straps.

I'm clearly saving a ton of money in trips to the beauty parlor (ya, right!), but no worries, it's headed right to the accessories shopping basket at Pad-A-Cheek.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I've developed a wave that cannot be styled out where my dreamwear mask crosses overtop my head.  No choice but to roll with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2017, 02:12 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: This is maybe not a mask indignity so much as a mask quirk....

Has anyone had the mask make their hair curly?  Laugh-a-lot  Now that I have an FFM, there has been an impressive evolution of my hairdo. It's not quite up to the moniker "big hair", or 'Lil Annie, but it's headed (so to speak) in that direction. Here it is fall, when it normally goes flat, and it's sprouting curls all over.

Must be the humidifier combined with leaks misting it all night.

That's not all. I've developed spectacular symmetrical flip curls along the sides of my head above the ears. My stylist has spent years try to effect this very look with shears, trimmers, razors.... Voilà, the headgear makes it happen with no effort. Yep, my flip curls come courtesy of the side straps.

I'm clearly saving a ton of money in trips to the beauty parlor (ya, right!), but no worries, it's headed right to the accessories shopping basket at Pad-A-Cheek.

Yes, I am one of the people who developed curly or wavy hair courtesy of their cpap mask.  I've been going to the same hairdresser for a number of years and she couldn't figure out why my hair suddenly has developed a "mind of its own".  If I am going out in public, I have to wash & dry my hair because my 'bed head' would scare a small child into crying loudly.
Post Reply Post Reply
No wild hair here, but now that you mention it, I think the headgear has rubbed all of the hair off the top of my head!  Laugh-a-lot
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 322 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 178 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 150 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 348 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 683 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,109 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 772 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.