Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
It appears I need some assistance with masks....

Having endured 3 weeks of messing with the P10 only to have it generate a cyclone hither and yon, catch in my pillow, and generally keep me awake half the night messing up my stats, I ordered up several replacement possibilities from Supplier#1.

I ordered a Simplus, a Resmed AirTouch F20 for Her, and a Swift FX Nano for Her.

1. I first tried the Simplus. I'm not going to be able to use it because it's too tall for the available space, but in the process, the plump silicon seal gave me a full-face hickey. I have anglo skin that tends to be ruddy: there are a lot of little blood vessels right near the surface. In the space of 5 minutes, yeppers, I now have a 1" mask outline of burst little blood vessels from nose to cheek. Guaranteed to bruise by tomorrow.

Help needed. Forewarned is forearmed...no one's had this happen? If you have, how do you address this problem before and after? Preventatives? I could see this happening with other masks....

2. Then I tried the Swift FX Nano 4Her. This has a more complex version of the P10's headgear layout (especially behind the head), and I fear it's just as likely to be yanked off, sideways, downwards, or upwards. The swivel at the mask is so heavy, it almost pulls the mask away from my nose, just like the P10. Nyet to that one. It looked so cute on the foam mannequins, too...Sigh.

3. Three's a charm, but a full night's sleep will be the clincher.  The F20 AirTouch 4Her. 

Unadvertised virtues: 
-I associate the whoosh whoosh noise in the mask with being administered anesthesia in the operating room; I kinda like it, especially because it reminds me of the anesthetist saying, "Take a deep breath...." and promptly conking out. This mask has definite possibilities.
-When the lowest straps are too loose, every muscle in your face vibrates aggressively. If your mom ever told you to stop pouting or you have permanent lockjaw from enduring a testy boss, this is your route to total facial relaxation. Bug-eyed Just remind yourself ahead of time where the Stop button is so you don't overdo. IME.

Help needed: The only problem I seemed to have with this mask is that it will almost certainly put a scabby notch on my upper nose. The nose bridge is getting irritated from the edge of the inside seal. Normally my tendency would be to slap a piece of duct tape over the ow-ee (a habit born of practicality in the backcountry), but I'm not sure that's the right approach here. Is there any way to minimize this without compromising the seal?

More help needed: The F20 doesn't have a shorty hose between the mask and the heated hose. Is there a way to get one? After using the P10 for a while, I kinda got used to a lightweight short hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
Check the suppliers list. Many of them carry short hoses for masks. Can't help you with the FFM's. I've never had luck with them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Aww I can't speak for the Swift Nano mask, but the headgear is the same as the FX. Horrible. One of the cats loves it as a toy though. I cut it off and let him have the silicone adustment section. If you have a cat and are stuck with the mask, then I can highly recommend its entertainment value.
Damn sorry about the hicky though. A very bad kisser indeed!
Post Reply Post Reply
The only short hoses I have been able to find are 22mm. Not at all what I need to go between a FFM and the main hose. If you find a flexible small diameter short hose let us know. I would definitely be interested.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto, Doza, on the zip tie headgear on the Swift. Resmed's headgear designer must've been obsessed with DIY home fix-it projects to be using zip ties (on top) and snowshoe binding straps (across the cheeks).
Post Reply Post Reply
PupCamper, now I'm on a mission to find a short hose of relevant diameter....
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 06:54 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: PupCamper, now I'm on a mission to find a short hose of relevant diameter.... I'm thinking 15mm?

15 or 12.

I was searching for one again and found a replacement short tube for the ResMed Mirage Activa and ResMed Mirage Vista nasal masks at Supplier #9. See if it will work. Just go to their site  and search for it the way I described it. It is supposed to fit all masks. Only problem is, it's only 12" long. I think I can make that work with my hanging system. I would really like to find one about 18" long, though. I'll keep searching a while before I order one.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great minds think alike PupCamper. I was just looking at the Mirage shorty while you were writing up your post. I was looking at it at Supplier #1. I find that company easy to work with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I will order one soon. The price is right for an experiment. Don’t know why I didn’t notice this hose when I searched before.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
supplier 10 has a two foot hose extension. It's on the 2nd page of the hose section.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.