Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
RE: The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
Walla Walla, you’re a genius.   like
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a Fitlife total fit full face mask that you might check out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting back to your original question about the Simplus (and by extension, other FFMs)...

If the mask is so tight that it's affecting your capillaries, then it's too tight. It needs to be firm on your face, but not tight. If it's too tight then you will get skin issues as you have described, probably additional leaks and very likely wake up with a headache.

You might want to try a mask liner, which is basically a fabric which fits between the mask and your skin, Pad-a-cheek make some quite elaborate ones which work very well but are a bit pricey. Remzz make a much simpler type, which is cheaper but only lasts a few days. I've used Pad-a-cheek masks in the past and found them effective. I haven't tried Remzz.

If the problem is limited to the bridge of your nose, then you can easily make a mini-liner. Get hold of some pyjama fabric (flannelette). Cut a strip about 100mm long and fold it so you get three layers about 20 mm wide. Lay this over your nose with the loose ends hanging down on your cheeks, then place the mask carefully such that the fabric lies between the mask and the skin. (Easier to do than explain). This will protect your nose and stop any leaks into your eyes. Just be careful the loose ends don't stick into your eyes. You will likely have to experiment with the width and length to suit your own face.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I have read, the Sleep Weaver mask, )made by Circadiance,) has an 18inch long hose )Feather-weight Tubing,)that fits between the mas and the hose.
I haven't seen that tubing, but you might take a look for it at Supplier #1.
Good luck, just keep trying masks, some of us have tried many of them before we were able to find one that works.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 09:13 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: supplier 10 has a two foot hose extension. It's on the 2nd page of the hose section.

Thanks, Walla Walla. I’ll have a look at it. All of the two foot hose extensions I have looked at so far are 22mm and stiff. I would like to have a short hose along the lines of the short hose th P10 has. I need the extra length when using my Hose Buddy. The 22mm are just too heavy and stiff.

(10-24-2017, 11:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: From what I have read, the Sleep Weaver mask, )made by Circadiance,) has an 18inch long hose )Feather-weight Tubing,)that fits between  the mas and the hose.
I haven't seen that tubing, but you might take a look for it at Supplier #1.
Good luck, just keep trying masks, some of us have tried many of them before we were able to find one that works.

Thanks Trish. Sounds like it may be just what I’m looking for. I’ll check it out.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was my first experience sleeping with an FFM. I used the Airfit Touch F20 for Her. (I haven't tried the No-Touch).

I find the mask very comfortable, and it seems to fit the contours of my face. I didn't have issues with my mouth dropping open below the lower lip of the mask. I didn't even have issues with soreness on the bridge of my nose (I just used micropore tape and it seems that was adequate for protection).

All was great until the pressure went up and the mask exploded off my face. I couldn't make the hissing stop. But when I woke up this morning (after a long break in the night to eat cheerios and develop strategy for tackling mask leak) and evidently another long break after I seem to have tossed off the mask), the leaks on SleepyHead didn't seem to be that egregious compared to my experience.

See here. This is like, my best ever leak record (my worst ever AHI, though that might have mitigated with more hours of sleep)....

[Image: 2bAC6Kdt.png]

Questions

1. Does that mask constantly have air circulating inside the lip, so it has the leak feel even though it's not leaking? Does that swirling air have a hissing noise?

2. What do I do to keep the mask exploding off my face when the pressure goes up? Tightening the straps seems to backfire.

Any input welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 11:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: From what I have read, the Sleep Weaver mask, )made by Circadiance,) has an 18inch long hose )Feather-weight Tubing,)that fits between  the mas and the hose.

Thanks, Trish. I looked at pictures of that hose, and it looks like one end might be threaded. (Maybe something specific to the Sleep Weaver). Bummer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try Supplier #31 for all kinds of padding and hose covers.  This should help with your face marks considerably.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2017, 10:52 AM)sonicboom Wrote: Try Supplier #31 for all kinds of padding and hose covers.  This should help with your face marks considerably.

I agree with sonicboom.  This supplier is a cpap user and understands totally what the frustrations can be.  She even worked with me to 'modify' her hose cover to accomodate my needs.  Best wishes to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMG, a full face hicky does not sound pleasant at ALL. They used a simplus on me during my tritation. I have a beard so no face hickies that I was aware of. Thanks thouigh for alerting me to the possibibilty.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 253 11 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 167 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 139 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 328 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 666 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,059 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 761 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.