Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The "Woozle" Alternative to Chinstrap for FFM
The "Woozle" Alternative to Chinstrap for FFM
I was going to patent this idea, but after reading dozens of posts, I probably won't. The problem faced by many PAP patients who use a nasal or nasal pillows mask is air escaping out via their mouth. This pretty much defeats their PAP therapy. A chin strap is an often suggested remedy, but in many cases, this simply doesn't work. So the alternative is a full face mask such as F&P Simplus as one example. There appears to be a lot of sufferers using FFMs that would really benefit from my idea. I call my device the "Woozle. Below is a way of making a prototype Woozle.

1. From Velcro strip about 25mm wide, cut off a piece about 400mm long.
2. On one end make a loop of 50mm, turning the end of the Velcro under so it will attach to the strip itself. Better still, machine sew this.
3. Do the same at the other end of the Velcro strip, only don't sew this!
4. Open the lower right hand headgear strap loop & remove the plastic hook, then thread the headgear strap though the loop you made in the Velcro strip. Make certain you have the furry side facing up.
5. Replace the plastic hook on the headgear strap and close the headgear loop. Making sure you fasten it back to the same spot.
6. Put the mask on, make sure it's positioned correctly. Position the RH headgear below your right ear, then attach the right hand hook to the mask.
7. Thread the left hand headgear hook & strap though the loop you made at other end of the Velcro strip, & attach the hook to your mask.
8. Open the left hand Velcro loop, position the Velcro strip comfortably under your chin & adjust the tightness of the Velcro strip until the mask seal sits in the groove above your chin and below your bottom lip. Do not make this so tight that is moves the nose seal out of position.
The brilliance of my idea is that the mask and the chin strap are now integrated & move together in congress. Should the mask try to ride up, the Woozle will stop it. The "Woozle" will also keep your mouth from falling open by holding your chin in position within the mask. My wife & I are thinking of making these and selling them on our web site. It would cost $900 to $1000 to get a patent issued. So I guess I'll just post this on the forum for all to read. Should anyone like more information on the "Woozle" I would be happy to post sketches. A finished "Woozle" would cost about AU$25.

NOTE:  Updated instructions in this post:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid124876

[Image: woozle.jpg]
Wearing Fisher and Paykel Simplus mask with Woozle in place

[Image: woozle1.jpg]
Second view of Simplus mask and Woozle: note lighter PAP hose from F&P Opus 360 mask

[Image: woozle2.jpg]
A prototype Woozle showing detail of chin support and loops
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The "Woozle" Alternative to Chinstrap for FFM
A few questions? Can't really visualize this, would it work on other FFMs? Like a Quattro Air?

For those of us that are not very handy or good with our hands, if you considered making them to order, what about US pricing and shipping?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 12:21 AM)Peter_C Wrote: A few questions? Can't really visualize this, would it work on other FFMs? Like a Quattro Air?
For those of us that are not very handy or good with our hands, if you considered making them to order, what about US pricing and shipping?
Hi Peter,
At present my device is only at the prototype stage. That is, it has not been produced in its finished state. But it works & works well. I sleep every night with mine, & SH reports minimal leaks. To answer your questions...the "Woozle" will work only with FFMs. Pretty much all FFMs, but I don't see it being successful with nasal masks or nasal pillows masks. This is because these masks don't have a forehead piece and or strap whos behaviour the "Woozle" opposes. Here are some pics to better visualize how it looks and works. I was thinking the price of the Woozle" would be around AU$25.00, because of the exchange rate, slightly less in US dollars. Shipping, I would have to find out about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the photos - makes more sense to me now Smile The Quattro Air *is* a FFM as well. I'll sweet talk my lovely wife into looking at your photos and see if she can do something like you did. Thanks for the neat tip :~!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Done woozie38 Smile Jerry rigged my mask last night with two Velcro Cable Tidy's 15mm wide and 120mm long Hook and Loop on either side and viola Smile Slept like a log ALL NIGHT on wakey wakey with a mouth like Gandhi's Sandle It worked a treat, No more mask moving to the top of my head. Thanks so much for your input and my total cost £0.80 for a pack of 5 ties. Regards Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 03:40 PM)tommyb43 Wrote: Well Done woozie38 Smile Jerry rigged my mask last night with two Velcro Cable Tidy's 15mm wide and 120mm long Hook and Loop on either side and viola Smile Slept like a log ALL NIGHT on wakey wakey with a mouth like Gandhi's Sandle It worked a treat, No more mask moving to the top of my head. Thanks so much for your input and my total cost £0.80 for a pack of 5 ties. Regards Tom
Hi Tom, Glad my idea helped. It has the potential to help many users of full face masks of any make, but I have had little inquiry so far.

Post Reply Post Reply
Still Works like a charm Geoff Smile Woke up twice last night ! Hose fell off around 02:00 and my little Yorkie started to lick my back around 04:00 What a nice dream I was having Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your images, my mask is much larger. I am using the medium now and it comes down almost low enough to be a chin strap. The small was too small and not wide enough for my mouth. I may go back to it tomorrow and try out the Woozle. Too late to do it tonight.

I can see how the Woozle would work, though. Keeps it from sliding up. Cool idea there!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 08:59 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I can see how the Woozle would work, though. Keeps it from sliding up. Cool idea there!
After a number of request for information
I have updated instruction for making a Woozle & here they are ...

1. Get a strip of velcro 14 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide
2. Cut 6 inches off one end
3 Take the longer piece and stitch a 2 inch loop on one end.
4. Stitch the two pieces back together making sure to reverse them so that one is smooth & one is rough.
5. Slip the loop over one of the lower straps of your mask so that the smooth side is on top as you put on your mask & pull the woozle across under your chin. (This is for comfort)
6. Feed the other end of the Woozle up through the loop in the other lower strap at the mask clip.
7. Grasp this end & draw the woozle up fairly firmly (but not tight), easing your mask downward with your free hand as you pull up on the end of the woozle, then bend the strip down & around under your chin & fasten it to the Velcro beneath your chin. As you ease your mask down, you will feel the seal tighten around the top of your nose.
You'll soon get the hang of it & know how much tension to apply.

A sewing machine is great for this, but if you haven't one, then needle & thread or even an office stapler will do.
The Woozle also takes the place of a chin strap because it does a better job by keeping both mask & lower jaw together as one.
The Woozle is unfastened beneath your chin to remove your mask.

The Woozle is only effective when used with a FFM - won't work with nasal masks.
Best wishes
Post Reply Post Reply
Great-info

Going to try this on my mask too.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Alternative to CPAP for CSA! benedictc 9 4,103 04-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Apnicure's Winx alternative to cpap DariaVader 6 6,712 02-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.