Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX nose pillows
Humidifier: PR System 1 attached
CPAP Pressure: 8-25
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: The X-files
(05-03-2016 12:38 PM)robysue Wrote:  A lot of what's been talked about are causes and solutions for fragmented sleep. And that's great. But it's more CPAP + <other things> that allow people with OSA to finally get a genuinely good night's sleep.

I don't mean to suggest that there are <other things> that can take the place of xPAP for many, if any, of us. If such things exist, we'd probably already know about them. But there may well be things that help xPAP to work better, or as you say, improve the quality of sleep in other ways.

There's still a lot we don't know about apnea--in particular I don't think we know how to draw the causal arrows between things. I was diagnosed with OSA at age 52, but I probably had had it for years, if not decades. I wasn't aware of any "sleep problems" until just the past few years (I'm 62 now).

But I'm curious as to what people have tried, including things that are farther off the beaten path than I would normally venture. What about Reiki/"energy healing"? Has nobody here tried that? I'd like to hear about it. I'm skeptical about such things, but I also take the view that anything not inherently dangerous (or terribly expensive) is worth a try. I'd rather find something helpful than preserve my skeptical purity.
05-03-2016 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

The original poster started off talking about non-xPAP treatments for sleep apnea.

I just felt the need to point that out. oldman

(05-03-2016 12:38 PM)robysue Wrote:  There are two distinctively different, but interrelated conversations going on in this thread:

1) What kinds of things have people been able to use to improve their overall sleep?
05-03-2016 04:09 PM
robysue Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation BiPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

Sex: Female

(05-03-2016 04:09 PM)green wings Wrote:  The original poster started off talking about non-xPAP treatments for sleep apnea.

I just felt the need to point that out. oldman

(05-03-2016 12:38 PM)robysue Wrote:  There are two distinctively different, but interrelated conversations going on in this thread:

1) What kinds of things have people been able to use to improve their overall sleep?
Yes, I know the OP asked about non-PAP treatments for sleep apnea. But I was pointing out that most of the conversation had steered away from that and into a more general conversation about what to do to fix bad sleep issues that are not really part of OSA.

Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
05-04-2016 07:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
tmoody Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System 1 BPAP AutoSV
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX nose pillows
Humidifier: PR System 1 attached
CPAP Pressure: 8-25

Other Comments:

My personal opinion is that there's enough causal interaction between sleep apnea and other sleep disturbances that anything that helps one might plausibly help the other.
05-04-2016 12:07 PM
kwhenrykerr Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto, AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Philips, AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: 2L added oxygen with CMS50F to check usage

So glad to read all the post Thanks Good questions, good answers and ideas.

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
05-06-2016 02:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Resmed Files stanlori 18 8,307 06-21-2015 05:20 AM
Last Post: housec
  Airsense10 - SDcard, restore files?? spaceace77 6 1,192 06-16-2015 05:57 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  PLEASE HELP!!!! CAN'T GET ENCORE BASIC FILES TO EXTRACT AFTER DOWNLOAD lsteele75 16 3,964 05-02-2015 10:13 AM
Last Post: Beans
Question Where does RS 5.3.x put the report personalization files? justMongo 5 1,797 04-14-2015 01:58 PM
Last Post: AlanE
Question I'm getting too many RLK files for ResScan justMongo 1 674 02-17-2015 12:28 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [How to] move resscan files from one computer to another justMongo 9 2,559 05-02-2014 01:27 PM
Last Post: JohnNJ
Thumbsdown [Diagnosis] Files for 2 weeks or more Nexxxus33 4 1,277 12-04-2013 03:37 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred