Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The absolute need for software
Exclaimation 
The absolute need for software
Im posting this to give a bit of a warning to those who dont run software and do thing like rip off masks etc.
I had in a year of cpap never ripped off a mask.
My titration presssure is 15 with a ffm frim sleep study.
My ahi runs on a ffm around 1.5 to 3.
Nasal pressure is less ahi of 1 or less.
Long story short id been using a ffm last week . My machine set at 14 min 18 max.
Two days ago i woke ripping the mask off, and almost unable to sit up. Dizzy panting for breathe.
I regained enough strentgth then ran the sd card thru sleepy head. Which i hadnt done for a few days.
At my lab titrated pressure min and 3 over that max my ahi numbers were 1.5 to 3.
Looking deeper my OA events were running 30 to 55 seconds in duration. Some in back to back clusters.
The one that woke me that morning ripping the mask off lasted 2 MINUTES and 20 seconds.
At brain damage level and over half way to dieing time wise.
So still using the ffm, though i usually use nasal. But my min is 15 max at 19.5 no flex and back under control.
Moral of the story?
Were I depending on Ahi alone and some DME to be watching out for me Id never have known what happened o how serious.
The docs prescribed levels were 8 min to 18 max.
Id be a vegatable long ago while even using the machine every night if i had depended on that.
Get software, check it often.
Under 5 ahi isnt a sure bet all is well.
Hope this helps someone. I

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The absolute need for software
(10-26-2015, 10:36 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Im posting this to give a bit of a warning to those who dont run software and do thing like rip off masks etc.
I had in a year of cpap never ripped off a mask.
My titration presssure is 15 with a ffm frim sleep study.
My ahi runs on a ffm around 1.5 to 3.
Nasal pressure is less ahi of 1 or less.
Long story short id been using a ffm last week . My machine set at 14 min 18 max.
Two days ago i woke ripping the mask off, and almost unable to sit up. Dizzy panting for breathe.
I regained enough strentgth then ran the sd card thru sleepy head. Which i hadnt done for a few days.
At my lab titrated pressure min and 3 over that max my ahi numbers were 1.5 to 3.
Looking deeper my OA events were running 30 to 55 seconds in duration. Some in back to back clusters.
The one that woke me that morning ripping the mask off lasted 2 MINUTES and 20 seconds.
At brain damage level and over half way to dieing time wise.
So still using the ffm, though i usually use nasal. But my min is 15 max at 19.5 no flex and back under control.
Moral of the story?
Were I depending on Ahi alone and some DME to be watching out for me Id never have known what happened o how serious.
The docs prescribed levels were 8 min to 18 max.
Id be a vegatable long ago while even using the machine every night if i had depended on that.
Get software, check it often.
Under 5 ahi isnt a sure bet all is well.
Hope this helps someone. I

I agree. I always look at the time of events. If you have only one OA but it lasts long enough to cause brain damage you're AHI will be nice and low, but you will be in bad shape. Contra-wise an AHI over 5 but with all the events at 10 or 11 seconds might not do you any harm unless there are really a huge lot of them.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost, you're probably right. I've been using CPAP for alittle over 10 years. Used the same "Brick" for 9 years. Awoke in a panic awhile back. . .had a nightmare that I was suffocating. . .ripped the ffm from my face. Broke the mask and the headgear. My sis gave me 10 year newer "Brick". Couldn't even hear it running. Was so impressed with the improvements in hardware I popped for a data capable ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset w/Oxi. Now learning how to use and decipher the software. Sleeping better than I have in a decade.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats part of the reason I thonk Docs should be required to only issue data capable machines.
And why it angers me so much that DMEs push bricks so hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost1958,
Thanks for sharing with us.

It's a little frustrating when I notice how many users don't use the free software available to them.
I think that some just don't want to be bothered or depend too much on their doctors and DME provider to make choices for them.

It takes time and patience to look at your graphs and understand the numbers. You are so right in saying it isn't just about getting a low AHI number. The duration of events is important.

For all new folk out there, and those of us that aren't so new at this; if you aren't feeling quite right, take a good look at the duration of your apnea events not just low AHI number.

If you own a brick, do whatever you need to do to save up for a data capable machine and download the free software available to you.

As far as DME still selling "bricks" in this day and age, it all about $$$$$$$. They do not have your best interest at heart, although I have no idea why a Doctor would not want you to have a data capable machine.Dont-know

Final Rant: Take control of your therapy.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ghost, Your post set into motion one of the most significant threads I have read since finding this forum. So glad you survived that close call.

I must be one of many who had a sleep study, eventually had equipment delivered that was selected, including mask type, by someone that had never seen me, gave a brief demo on how to use, had me sign some papers, patted me on the head and said good luck. Had I not found this forum I would still be totally unaware of what we need to do and what we can do to optimize our own therapy.

Thanks for being a part of the solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Software is necessary. I have noticed my AHIs have been going up (from the low 2s to the low 3s), but I have still felt rested. Looking at my graphs I found that most of my events are at the beginning of the night for about the first hour, just enough to throw everything else off. It seems I have the tendency to fall asleep on my back then as the night progresses, I go and sleep on my side. Moral of the story, don't fall asleep on my back.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Completely Agree!

Please folks, use the software!!

Some of the folks who have been here awhile know my father's story, folks new to the forum may not, so here goes.

My father was diagnosed with sleep apnea, given a machine and a mask and told "use it". He HATED the mask, and I mean HATED it. He refused to use the FFM or any other mask we tried; and my sister & I tried every mask available at the time. He finally was so affected by sleep apnea that he fell asleep at the wheel of his car, thank God it was at a stop light, and someone behind him started honking and he woke up. Result? His driver's license was pulled.

Often, when talking with him on the phone (1,000 miles away) he would fall asleep and I would have to try to wake him up over the phone, just try that sometime.

It gets worse, he is seen wondering down the middle of the residential street in front of his house at 2am and a week or so later he tries to work on his car in the middle of the night and falls asleep in the fender of the car. And, the dentist's office called him regarding an appointment, thinks he is having a stroke and calls 911 for him. Nope, no stroke, "merely" fell asleep during the call and tried to talk while kind-of waking up.

He ends up with heart damage and brain damage - he gets a replacement valve due to his heart damage and he is declared legally incompetent due to brain damage and I become his Legal Conservator; which means he can no longer sign ANYTHING, checks, legal agreements, etc. and that I become his Payee for his pensions checks and pay all his bills out of his funds FOR him.

So, please, PLEASE use the software and use the XPAP - don't give up! Be persistent about the treatment you need!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
There is only one word for this thread and these posts - WOW
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize if the question was too stupid, but how do you know just by looking at the graphics of the Sleepyhead what´s the duration of an OA, (for example, the OA at 08:12:16 (10) in the attached graphic)? Is it indicated by the numbers between brackets on events?
And besides, what number is considered "safe" and from what number is regarded as "dangerous"?
Thanks.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/PHeKU25.png)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,125 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 382 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 342 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 586 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,082 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 644 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  AirSense 11 water / humidity / software incident rpierce 5 1,198 07-31-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.