Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The absolute need for software
RE: The absolute need for software
Armando - the (10) is the duration in seconds of the event.

Also in sleepyhead there is a tab called 'events'. When you click it, you get a list of all the events and their durations.

I don't have an answer for the safe vs. dangerous number. Ten seconds is considered the cutoff for calling it an event. Less than 10 seconds is technically not an event. It also depends on how low your oxygen level goes during the event. You would need an oximeter to measure this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2015, 09:09 AM)armando.ntg Wrote: I apologize if the question was too stupid, but how do you know just by looking at the graphics of the Sleepyhead what´s the duration of an OA,

You don't, but on the same screen above the AHI on the left side number you'll see four tabs. Click on the second one (Events) and you'll see a drop down list of all the types of "events" your machine reported. Click on the little ">" on the left of each different event and it will give you a drop down which shows the details, including the length.

Clicking on each event will cause the graphs to "zoom in" to that particular event so you can examine the graphed data in detail.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
It takes approx 4 minutes to strangle a person to death bare handed. Mostly that long becausr a totol shut off of air isnt possible bare handed.
An apnea can often be a total shut off of air.
My 2 min 20 second one was a total flatline apnea no air flow.
Anything lasting much over a min i would worry about if it happened very often.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2015, 09:09 AM)armando.ntg Wrote: I apologize if the question was too stupid, but how do you know just by looking at the graphics of the Sleepyhead what´s the duration of an OA, (for example, the OA at 08:12:16 (10) in the attached graphic)? Is it indicated by the numbers between brackets on events?
And besides, what number is considered "safe" and from what number is regarded as "dangerous"?
Thanks.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/PHeKU25.png)

Hi Armando,
Welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

To view the duration of events, click the "Events" tab to the left of the graphs, just above the large orange bar where the AHI is shown in large text. In that tab, each event is listed, with type, time, and duration.

I don't know what is considered "safe". In my own case, my OAs tend to be in the 20 to 40 second range, and as long as they aren't clustered tightly, I feel I'm ok. In the beginning of therapy, I had no idea that sleeping on my back was bad, and I had many clusters and long events. Since I have taken steps to avoid back-sleeping, I rarely record a cluster, and I don't worry about scattered events.

Also, for me, the Hypopneas tend to be longer than the OAs, and I don't feel they are as serious, as there is some breathing, albeit shallow breathing.

One more thing - if this graphic is from your own machine, you need to edit your profile, as the machine that recorded this data is totally different from the machine in your profile. We can help you better if we know accurately your equipment and settings.

Hope this helps. Best wishes on your PAP journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2015, 05:22 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It takes approx 4 minutes to strangle a person to death bare handed. Mostly that long becausr a totol shut off of air isnt possible bare handed.

I think I forgot to ask how you are doing after that total no air flow episode.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer my questions, since novice on the subject, I have many doubts that thanks to you I am clarifying gradually.
My question with respect to the duration of the event was caused specifically by what I read in the Sleepyhead User Guide, which says:

"The number in (brackets) after individual events is used for alignment purposes, to make the events match up to the flow rate waveform.
It may or may not be related to duration, so I left it in, in the hopes someone else might figure it out."
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2015, 01:46 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 05:22 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: It takes approx 4 minutes to strangle a person to death bare handed. Mostly that long becausr a totol shut off of air isnt possible bare handed.

I think I forgot to ask how you are doing after that total no air flow episode.

Thanks for asking. That day I was pretty foggy as that wasnt the only long one, just the lonngest. And i desat very fast into the 60 s

BP was up for couple of days days , some PVCs.
Back on my ESON mask now , doing fine as usual now.
As far as any brain damage I wasnt that smart to begin with so a little bit wouldnt show LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
So here goes with another dumb question. So you look at your data and look at events. Using Ghost1958's info from post #1 obviously there is a problem. But, how do you know how to fix it?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was wondering the same thing. Ghost, what do you conclude was the cause, and what have you done to fix it?

You said you had a pressure range of 8-18, I think. So you raised the low end?

I can't see any reason for having a range that wide. If there are times that a pressure of 18 is needed, it's going to take the machine awhile to raise it from 8 to where it needs to be.

If maintaining a pressure of 18 is uncomfortable, but anything lower than that causes these events, that's a concern that needs to be raised with a doctor who specializes in treating sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
8 to 18 was a year ago prescribed pressue.
I didnt leave it like that because there were to many long events even with ahi under 3.
Ive been running 12 to 18 on nasal for a long time, seldom going over 1.5 ahi and events all short ones.

If i have to go to ffm for some reason i punch my min up to 15 max 19.
I went to ffm for a few days when this happened but forgot to punch my pressures up.
Went back to nasal mask at 12 to 18 though on nasal pressure seldom goes over 13 or 14.
The root cause is in a ffm unless im running a high min pressure of 15 or 16 and max of 19, my tongue will slam up and cut off exhalation and inhalation.
Does not happen with nasal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,123 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 381 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 340 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 585 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,077 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 641 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  AirSense 11 water / humidity / software incident rpierce 5 1,194 07-31-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.