Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The answer to your Computer / Software problems
Very wise saying:

REBOOTING (re-starting) your computer solves the majority of computer problems.

That is all.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great-info

Computer Repair Kit
[Image: DLI7I3Ll.jpg]

Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
When I used to do tech support, that was very often the first step - especially on a Mac. Be surprised at how well it works.

Also works for other systems, but not recommended for life support.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

I had a linux box with 388 days of uptime. Only reason it went down was a power supply failure.

On my current box, I have Windows 7, and Chrome installed, and one printer driver (plus OSA-related software installed). Auto-updates is turned on, and all I do is web-surf, and check my data, yet I must reboot every 7-10 days. It's sad.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Win7 is the best OS that MS has ever brought forth. It has restored my faith in computers but I still worry about the fact that they can be used inappropriately and allow airplanes to fly into the ground. It would seem that software could be written to prevent such things or at least make it extremely difficult. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
After Vista, Win 7 is the apology version for Vista.
Now, if the put the classic user interface back into W10, they might have a winner.
I am not impressed with Windows 8.x
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I run linux and only reboot when doing kernel updates Big Grin

however... "reboot twice and call me in the morning" is what we used to tell the users when I did tech support before I wised up and moved out of "IT" and into the dev organizations.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
As a corollary to what SuperSleeper has stated, lately my parting advice to users is: When some pop up appears out of the blue and informs you that you have several problems with your system, do an emergency shut down by either unplugging the computer or holding the power switch in until it shuts down. Do not click on any part of the warning screen lest you welcome aboard a fake AV executable that will encrypt all your personal files and offer to sell you the key to get them back for a price $$$. Nothing short of a disk wipe and a clean install can fix that condition and sadly many users lose all of their cherished data since few of them have full image backups. Sad Just the latest product from the sick minds who try to exploit the technology.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that happens often you might consider linux Bigwink it never happens there. Or... Check out this wikihow
http://www.wikihow.com/Close-an-Internet-Pop-Up
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Ever have a SD card reader that did not hold the card in the slot. The spring tries to eject the card. On a computer, I just put in a new card slot and call it a day.

My PRS1 BiPAP 760 has this problem now. Rebooting won't fix it since it's actually mechanical. Being a talented cobbler, I have found I can wedge the card in place, and it still works. I contacted Philips Respironics which happens to be headquarted here in Murrysville, PA and they simply will not do repairs directly, but customer service referred me to repair facilities in New York or Missouri that are "close".

The repair would involve replacement of the main board since the card slot is not sold as a part. So we're looking north of $400. I know I can remove the spring with a dental pick and it will work fine, so that is a non-starter.

I just thought I'd mention, reboot and call me in the morning won't work for my 1% problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,277 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 490 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Need computer help......... GrammaBear 33 2,420 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 705 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,735 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM