Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The hose pushes the mask and makes my face hurt
The hose pushes the mask and makes my face hurt
I'm not sure what kind of solution is to be had. Wearing the mask without the hose attached is fine, but then with the hose attached puts more pressure on the side the hose falls to. Feels like I have a bruise on my face all day long. Last night I tried to get the hose to go directly over my head, so it wasn't more on one side than the other, and was rewarded with my face hurting on both sides now.

Is this just from being new to treatment and something that will go away? Is it a sign the mask isn't a good fit for me? Is there something I can do with the hose to keep it from pushing on my mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The hose pushes the mask and makes my face hurt
You can try a hose hanger system that will route the hose behind and over your head so that when you turn it shouldn't be in the way. Google it, fairly inexpensive.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 12:15 PM)SephixT Wrote: I'm not sure what kind of solution is to be had. Wearing the mask without the hose attached is fine, but then with the hose attached puts more pressure on the side the hose falls to. Feels like I have a bruise on my face all day long. Last night I tried to get the hose to go directly over my head, so it wasn't more on one side than the other, and was rewarded with my face hurting on both sides now.

Is this just from being new to treatment and something that will go away? Is it a sign the mask isn't a good fit for me? Is there something I can do with the hose to keep it from pushing on my mask?

Which mask do you have?

In any case, you can switch to a mask that has a much thiner more flexible hose, along with a swivel, so it can't exert any force on your mask.

Google Resmed P10 for an example. There are others similar masks.

Also you can check out the SleepWeaver masks, which are all cloth and very soft.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 12:15 PM)SephixT Wrote: I'm not sure what kind of solution is to be had. Wearing the mask without the hose attached is fine, but then with the hose attached puts more pressure on the side the hose falls to. Feels like I have a bruise on my face all day long. Last night I tried to get the hose to go directly over my head, so it wasn't more on one side than the other, and was rewarded with my face hurting on both sides now.

It sounds like it's time to consider some hose management options - you should not have a hose pulling on your mask all night long. That will make therapy less effective and more uncomfortable, as you've already experienced.

The main idea is getting the hose to be supported above your head somewhere. There are many options for doing this, including metal hangar racks in which the bottom installs under your mattress, a metal rod sticks up with a hook at the top that holds the hose. However, my solution is much simpler (and cheaper) - velcro adhesive strips. You can buy a big roll of them with velcro on one side and adhesive on the other. I stuck one strip (about 8 inches in length) on my headboard between my machine and me, slightly above my head, and secure the hose in the middle of the strip by placing the complementary piece of velcro on top of the hose, such that it attaches to the velcro on either side of the hose. Then I simply route the hose behind / under my pillow and around to my face. The velcro keeps it from pulling on my face and allows any rainout to drain back to the humidifier.

Each his own but I always prefer simple, cheap solutions. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 02:13 PM)Terry Wrote: Which mask do you have?

Airfit F10 for her, it's in my side bar. The hose does swivel, which I think actually contributes to how much it pushes one side of the mask into my face.

(12-04-2015, 01:53 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You can try a hose hanger system that will route the hose behind and over your head so that when you turn it shouldn't be in the way. Google it, fairly inexpensive.

(12-04-2015, 02:25 PM)Possum Wrote: It sounds like it's time to consider some hose management options - you should not have a hose pulling on your mask all night long. That will make therapy less effective and more uncomfortable, as you've already experienced.

The main idea is getting the hose to be supported above your head somewhere. There are many options for doing this, including metal hangar racks in which the bottom installs under your mattress, a metal rod sticks up with a hook at the top that holds the hose. However, my solution is much simpler (and cheaper) - velcro adhesive strips. You can buy a big roll of them with velcro on one side and adhesive on the other. I stuck one strip (about 8 inches in length) on my headboard between my machine and me, slightly above my head, and secure the hose in the middle of the strip by placing the complementary piece of velcro on top of the hose, such that it attaches to the velcro on either side of the hose. Then I simply route the hose behind / under my pillow and around to my face. The velcro keeps it from pulling on my face and allows any rainout to drain back to the humidifier.

Each his own but I always prefer simple, cheap solutions. Smile

Ah! I didn't know there were things like that. Saw some stuff on amazon and supplier websites. A DIY solution is probably perfect for me. A command hook and some retractable badge holder type things should do the trick for me I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I do. I use a command hook on the wall behind me about 2 feet above my head and a hairband holding the hose onto the command hook. Works awesome! I can even rig one up in a hotel when I'm travelling and take it with me when I go and is small and really portable.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 08:14 PM)cate1898 Wrote: That's what I do. I use a command hook on the wall behind me about 2 feet above my head and a hairband holding the hose onto the command hook. Works awesome! I can even rig one up in a hotel when I'm travelling and take it with me when I go and is small and really portable.

That is perhaps an even more elegant solution. I like it! Maybe I'll try that when my Velcro wears out. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2015, 08:14 PM)cate1898 Wrote: That's what I do. I use a command hook on the wall behind me about 2 feet above my head and a hairband holding the hose onto the command hook. Works awesome! I can even rig one up in a hotel when I'm travelling and take it with me when I go and is small and really portable.

I did something similar. Basically copied the "hoze boss" thing I saw on the supplier sites and amazon. It was very reasonably priced, but I needed something now and not next week, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other idea, wear a pajama shirt with buttons and run the hose through a rubber band that you've buttoned onto the shirt. It helps keep the hose centered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a bad idea Dagmar, and it would help keep the hose heated being close to body heat!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.