Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The long road so far.
Wink 
The long road so far.
This is my first post, it may need to go in the review section, but has some more info so I thought posting here would be better.

Hello fellow snuffleupaguses (We have to have a sense of humor about it).

I started about a year ago. Had the sleep study done. My average was about 40 AHI. Yes, a walking zombie. I didn't catch it sooner because I thought my lack of energy was do to depression which I have been going through for about 20 years. Anyways, on to my road so far...

My insurance, and especially the sleep store I go to have been great about letting me try different masks and products before I settle on one. Here's some of the things I've run across, and maybe can provide you with more info if you are like me. I am a little overweight, in my mid 30's, and am a very hot sleeper. Night sweats, restlessness, tossing, turning, the woks! I'm a mouth breather.. with very bad allergies. Not good genes at all Bigwink

So to start off, I used the Mirage Quattro! Great for the mouth breather! No silly chin strap needed, very comfortable, and doesn't block your vision. If I couldn't breathe through my nose, easy to breathe through mouth. Why it didn't work for me? I sleep on my side, stomach, my skin has always been oily, and even after washing my face before putting it on, I would still loose the seal and air would leak after the oil came back. This is not a mask for side sleepers, any bump would break the seal.

I was told all full masks would prolly do this, so enter Ultra Mirage II, and the FlexiFit HC40. No bueno for me. No seal problems(until), but did have some vision issues, and again i'm a side, stomach sleeper. Turn to the side, psssshhhhhh, wake up instantly. And now an annoying chin strap. But I could deal with it, so I tried the next in line.

Nose pillows. The Swift FX. Very light weight, couldn't break the seal on my stomach or side, and lots of pressure. Finally great nights of sleep. AHI dropped to 2.0, and I could feel it the next morning. Downsides.. For some reason, I really had to tighten it down for the seals not to break. Pushed my nose up to where I would have red lines on my nose and face in the morning that took a while for them to go away. Sometimes developed raw spots on my nose. Go away during the day, but came back at night, the minute I would put it back on. Search continues..

Hey, this is new, try it! Wow...Airfit P10. Can't tell you have it on in terms of weight. Very light. No seal breaks... and that's about it. They told me it really didn't need the swivel, since the hose was so light. They are correct, except that the hose bunches and kinks. The straps aren't adjustable, so the first 2 weeks, the one size fits all felt like I was feeding oxygen directly to my brain it was so tight. It started to loosen up, and I was getting some good night sleeps. Then it started to get too loose, and seal breaks would happen. Again, chin straps like the others. I can deal, as long as it works. I really need to stop mouth breathing.

Last night I tried the Pilairo Q. Very comfortable. It's a one size fit's all that actually balloons up, and has a hard guard on the outside. No seal breaks on side or stomach. Downfalls already though for me. I'm a hot body. The pillow balloons up past my lip, and causes me to sweat wherever it touches. When you are breathing in and out, it jolts a bit trying to keep up with filling the balloon. I had high hopes for this, but it seems to be another trip back.

I'm not picky. I just want a good night sleeps without interuptions. Before, at least I didn't know I was waking up. If I'm waking up because of the mask, then something needs to change. I did however try on a Nuance pro while I was at the sleep store. The gel in the pillows was very comfortable, and really wanting to try that now.

Funny thing is, they keep telling me.. "This one is quieter, and you can barely feel the air coming out". All in all, so far the swift fx has been the best. Yes, it is has more noise, and may bother your loved one in bed. But for hot sleepers like me, I actually enjoyed the air coming out if it. It was like a mini air conditioner! Dielaughing

I hope this helps the ones with similar body types as mine. I'll update if/when I decide to try a different mask. Thanks!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The long road so far.
Way to go, Khemeckal! Nice to have an understanding insurance company and DME. How long (i.e. how many nights) did the entire mask search take?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Khemeckal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are fortunate to have a good DME to work with.
Sounds like you have had a rough time of it with masks. Do let us know if you try another one.
Hopefully, you will find the holy grail of masks at some point, (Ha-Ha).
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 09:22 AM)PollCat Wrote: Way to go, Khemeckal! Nice to have an understanding insurance company and DME. How long (i.e. how many nights) did the entire mask search take?

I don't know if the insurance company is quite in on the whole (letting me try demo's) idea. Some I have worn for a week, to 5 months. I know i'll never find the perfect mask, but I want to try as many as I can to get the best comfort. My insurance does allow a replacement every 6 months of the whole/new mask. Pillows are bi/monthly. Along with the other components. Filter for the Resmed, chin strap, etc.

Has anyone worn this chin strap so much they stopped mouth breathing? I know 30 years habit maybe impossible to break, but that seems to be most of the problem. The hose I took care of with a flower pot hanger. I screwed it into the wall next to our bed instead of the ceiling to hang the hose through. It was a little long for me.
(05-28-2014, 10:37 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Khemeckal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are fortunate to have a good DME to work with.
Sounds like you have had a rough time of it with masks. Do let us know if you try another one.
Hopefully, you will find the holy grail of masks at some point, (Ha-Ha).
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank you Trish!
Yes, they have been very helpful. One of the girls uses one, so she understands when i'm trying to explain what's wrong. Yes, unfortunately it may be straps on me! That way i'll sleep on my back and wear a full mask without problem. Do not like the chin straps one bit.
You also!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I did try the Pilairo Q, and it is so comfortable. I do feel like something is beating on the top of my nose. Like the air is catching up, and filling the bag quick, making a beat feel to it. Tad bit annoying, but the "no go" sign was when it started to make me sweat. It touches allot of nose and all the way down to my bottom lip( The silicone balloon). So it was back to the trusty Swift fx. Yes it is heavier than the Airfit P10, but without adjustable straps, it just doesn't work for me. I did have a good nights sleep though. So all in all, if I don't try the Nuance pro, I'll most likely stay with this, or a mask that was suggested through my messages. Thanks, and i'll keep you updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 07:42 AM)Khemeckal Wrote: So to start off, I used the Mirage Quattro! Great for the mouth breather! No silly chin strap needed, very comfortable, and doesn't block your vision. If I couldn't breathe through my nose, easy to breathe through mouth. Why it didn't work for me? I sleep on my side, stomach, my skin has always been oily, and even after washing my face before putting it on, I would still loose the seal and air would leak after the oil came back. This is not a mask for side sleepers, any bump would break the seal.

Hi Khemeckal,

I find that using a mask liner helps eliminate or at least soften leaking, so a little leaking is no longer bothersome.

I use the Quattro FX full face mask with a RemZzz liner.

Planning on making my own liners in future, because the RemZzz need to be changed daily or every few days, because they stretch out too much. But they're good for testing the concept to see if it works for you.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Khemeckal,

I use the Mirage Quattro and I am a side sleeper. To tell you the truth I find it very difficult to dislodge the mask and start a leak once one gets the mask fitted properly. Assuming that you got fitted with the correct size mask I would recommend several dissertations on mask fitting, in case you have not read them yet. First there is Jeffy's at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...434#pid434. That is general for any mask. Then I would recommend The Mask Arrayed blog at http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/. Look for Taming the Mirage Quattro. Obviously this one is specific to the Mirage Quattro. Once you have read these over, drop me a PM or an email if you would like and I will tell you a few things that I have found that have not gotten included in either of these.

One other suggestion. I use a facial astringent to cleanse my skin of oils where the seals touch my skin. I think that it cleans oils better and maintains the surface less oily for longer.,

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a good idea to try different stuff if at all possible - I went from full-face to nasal pillows over the course of several years, and it's worth remembering that your needs may change as your body adjusts to the CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,813 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.