Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The new ResMed S9 non-dishwashable tank is meltable
The new ResMed S9 non-dishwashable tank is meltable
I recently received one of the new style ResMed S9 non-dishwashable water tanks.

It was used, so I wanted to be sure it was germ free. Since I had several other tanks available, I tried dropping it into some water I had just boiled that was sitting at 200F/90C or so.

It warped and become unusable.

The "old style" S9 non-dishwashable tank and the dishwashable tanks all seem to be able to stand near boiling water temperature. They appear to be polycarbonate and can stand the heat. The newer non-cleanable tanks appear to be a different type of plastic.

I suspect it would survive the dishwasher, since water temperature is considerably lower, but attempt at your own risk. It might be worth trying if you have a spare non-dishwashable tank.

Obviously, ResMed does not recommend this method of sanitizing a non-dishwashable tank.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The new ResMed S9 non-dishwashable tank is meltable
Not surprised. My first tank was solid as a rock. They've gotten cheaper made.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did whoever sent you the new tank warn you about it not being able to handle very warm water?

If not, I would go back to them and demand a new one (not used by anyone else). If you had used your medical insurance to purchase this replacement, your insurance should not have paid for a used part.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 06:24 PM)cbramsey Wrote: Did whoever sent you the new tank warn you about it not being able to handle very warm water?

If not, I would go back to them and demand a new one (not used by anyone else). If you had used your medical insurance to purchase this replacement, your insurance should not have paid for a used part.

I clearly violated the manufacturer's instructions for how to clean the tank. I dropped it into boiling water, for goodness sakes.

No big deal, I have other tanks.

The dishwashable tanks (ResMed or Respironics) have all survived the boiling water treatment. If they didn't, I wouldn't be ticked off at that, either.

By the way, by "boiling," I mean "boil the water, turn off the heat, then dunk parts."

So far, I've done a lot of "boiling" experiments. Each time I've done it, it's been with old or "spare" parts that wouldn't be a big inconvenience if they were damaged.

i.e. try at your own risk.

So far, I've done:

12 quart stock pot. Fill with water. Bring to rolling boil. Turn off stove. Wait 30 seconds or so. Drop parts in, cover, leave until the water cools.

Respironics Legacy, M series, and PRS1 tanks - OK
ResMed S9 tank. Dishwashable tank OK. Old style non opening non dishwash tank, OK.
ResMed S9 new style openable non dishwash tank - damaged the lid and ruined it.
ResMed Swift FX mask all parts including short hose except cloth/foam headgear - OK
ResMed Swift LX mask, all parts except the headgear with foam attached. - OK
Respironics ComfortGel Blue and non-blue except headgear - OK.
ResMed slimline unheated hose - OK
Oracle oral mask without headgear or short hose - OK

Respironics style unheated hose. Not ruined, but did seem to be a little bit "crinkly." I no longer do the full "boil" with hoses.

For hoses, I now use a 75C water and try to keep the water around 70C for 30 minutes. This requires running the stove gently and cautiously.

Some of the "short" hoses on masks seem to be less able to take heat. For these, either don't heat sanitize, or try the 75C for 30 minutes process. (At your own risk.)

Some of the manufacturers publish some guidelines for "sanitation" of masks between patients. These often include temperatures for hot water treatment, and lists of parts that can be cleaned.

Note that I don't normally "sanitize" parts with boiling water. I only do this with used equipment or if I have some particular reason to want to kill germs.

When I get used masks, I soak the cloth/velcro/stretchy foam headgear overnight in a sealed container with 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I put in enough alcohol to get everything dripping wet and leave a little in the bottom of the container. No damage so far.

Note that:

1) Even boiling water won't kill all bacteria, but it gets most of them.
2) Alcohol doesn't kill many viruses, some bacteria, and fungus.
3) Alcohol is flammable. (duhhh...)
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 521 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank GuitarRebel 24 4,948 08-29-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 7 1,933 08-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Last Post: car54
  Humidity set to 0, no water in tank. Is this ok to do? JohnReam 5 884 09-27-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket? pkersey 12 1,658 09-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  pink residue in humidifier tank hegel 12 23,067 08-10-2022, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  DS1 and DS2 - Are the Filters and Humidity Tank Interchangeable? brianc18t 2 733 04-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Last Post: DaveCar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.