Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The next Respironics machine
The next Respironics machine
While picking up my new Wisp mask from my DME last Friday the respiratory therapist and I also discussed my ailing PRS1 and the S9 Autoset that I bought from Supplier #2 to replace it. He said that he had information from Philips Respironics that their next machine will have a Bluetooth radio and there will be a smartphone app so you can just pick up the data from the machine wirelessly and view it on your iPhone or Android.

I think I'd still like to see it on my computer, depending on how fully featured the smartphone apps are. It sure would be nice not having to schlepp an SD card back and forth, and sometimes forget to put it back in the machine before going to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The next Respironics machine
(01-24-2013, 01:58 PM)JJJ Wrote: While picking up my new Wisp mask from my DME last Friday the respiratory therapist and I also discussed my ailing PRS1 and the S9 Autoset that I bought from Supplier #2 to replace it. He said that he had information from Philips Respironics that their next machine will have a Bluetooth radio and there will be a smartphone app so you can just pick up the data from the machine wirelessly and view it on your iPhone or Android.

I think I'd still like to see it on my computer, depending on how fully featured the smartphone apps are. It sure would be nice not having to schlepp an SD card back and forth, and sometimes forget to put it back in the machine before going to bed.

That's why I'm still considering ResMed's USB adapter. Perhaps I can network it to the computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
it would help before anything else, stop making so many useless machines with confusing names
the 60 series machines even more confusing

Post Reply Post Reply
With the System One original series (550) that was introduced in 2009, and the 560 series that was released in 2012, I'd be willing to bet that a new PR series won't be available on the market until around mid to late 2014 at the earliest.

That said, I believe PR has lost market share over the past 2 years due to the greater success of the ResMed S9 units, so PR may jump the gun and introduce a newer bells-and-whistles version before 2014, who knows.

I'd be willing to bet that ResMed will be doing something like this in their new S10 machines, whenever those come out (probably not until 2014, if I had to guess)

But, those innovations do sound interesting. I could use an Android app to look at my data via bluetooth. That would be kind of cool, assuming I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. Happy Eyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2013, 02:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: But, those innovations do sound interesting. I could use an Android app to look at my data via bluetooth. That would be kind of cool, assuming I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. Happy Eyes

Apps for smartphones are typically free or very low priced, so if they want to charge big money for it they will have an uphill battle.

After my original post it occurred to me that getting data from the machine to the doctor or DME needs to be addressed. I suppose the smartphone app could have a built in e-mail functionality. Something has to replace the present system of taking the SD card to the doctor or DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would bet they don't drop the SD card option. Not everyone has a smart phone. Not everyone even has cellular or internet access.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2013, 02:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I'd be willing to bet that ResMed will be doing something like this in their new S10 machines, whenever those come out (probably not until 2014, if I had to guess)

I know! I'll write to them and offer to be a beta tester if they send me a free prototype!

Yeah I'm dreaming. But I still like the thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't give a damn about these daft bells and whistles - is the machine itself better? Quieter? Using less electricity? Honestly, having a wireless access to the data is just junk if that is the only improvement. Toy value and nothing else. It is no more onerous to take your sd card out of the back and put it into your computer as it is to get the data wirelessly, and, as correctly pointed out, not all of us have iPhones or wireless connections or other such things.
Just make the machine smaller, lighter, way quieter and better at sensing the oxygen needs of the user. The rest, throw it in if you want, but if it the only improvement, keep it thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lower price would be nice, too.

By convincing us we want the Bluetooth and the other stuff, they divert us from what is really important: liking and using our machine. If I don't use it, doesn't matter what kind of access to data they have. There's not any data to download.

But, in all reality, I'm betting access to the data by the actual user is not their intention. It hasn't been before, why start now? Respironics doesn't exactly make their software easily accessible. ResMed barely does. Icon does but for a price.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2013, 03:26 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Lower price would be nice, too.

I'm not holding my breath. Sad

(01-26-2013, 03:26 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: By convincing us we want the Bluetooth and the other stuff, they divert us from what is really important: liking and using our machine. If I don't use it, doesn't matter what kind of access to data they have. There's not any data to download.

I can't imagine that Bluetooth would be the only improvement. They have been tweaking the algorithms with each firmware update on the PRS1, in addition to adding new features (ability to use slimline hose comes to mind.) And I am sure they are aware of the competitive pressure they feel from Resmed, among others. For example, I am sure that they know that a screen that users can read without having to shine a klieg light on it would be appreciated.

(01-26-2013, 03:26 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: But, in all reality, I'm betting access to the data by the actual user is not their intention. It hasn't been before, why start now? Respironics doesn't exactly make their software easily accessible. ResMed barely does. Icon does but for a price.

I find this the most interesting part of all. Does the Bluetooth connectivity signal a change of attitude? Empower the patient? I doubt it, but I can hope.

Also, Respironics will have to write the smartphone apps. The normal way these things are installed is via the Apple Store or the Android Play Store. The majority of apps are free, and those that cost money are rarely more than a few dollars. I see it as unlikely that sales of software will be a revenue source for Respironics. This strikes me as further evidence that Respironics might be wanting to get the patient involved.

And as for Bluetooth, I do want it. About once every couple of weeks I forget to put the card back into the machine before going to bed. The last time this happened (with my S9 Autoset) I got No Data for the night. Plus, it might be useful to be able to look at my progress when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Mention was made previously that not everyone has a smartphone. That is true, although for the US 95% now have a cell phone of some type, and 50% have smartphones. But you don't need a smartphone to use the Bluetooth connectivity - almost all laptops made in the past five years have built in Bluetooth, and an add-on Bluetooth USB dongle for a desktop computer can be had for about $10. If you are looking at your data on your computer you can continue to do so; it will just be easier because you won't have to schlepp an SD card back and forth every day.

And as a final comment, I should add that I am not an employee or stockholder of Philips, I am not a DME, and I have not been given an advance view of the next Respironics machine. All I did was pass on a comment made to me by a respiratory therapist. Consider it gossip. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,428 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,298 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,190 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.