Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
The real Blue Blocker
I think we are not supposed to provide links, but if you google "digital trends stay away from the light!" there is a product that might interest those who are struggling with circadian rhythm issues and insomnia, both of which can be aggravated by SA. Personally, I just wear my orange-y BluBlocker shades when I am forced into blueish light at night (evening shifts at work). But these look interesting. I have no affiliation with any company.
07-21-2015 07:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: The real Blue Blocker
You can mention the product name and the manufacturer. You just cannot link to them if the link is commercial.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-21-2015 08:43 PM
kaiasgram Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Aloha
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-10

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I don't have the shades but I do have f.lux installed on my Mac (there's a PC version too). It filters out blue light starting at sunset. It does this gradually over about an hour, and it works really well for me. It's free to download, just google f.lux and it should pop up right away.
07-21-2015 10:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

I use f.lux too. Mine is set to transition within 20 seconds. I don't spend a whole lot of time on the PC after sundown but at 3am when I've had enough of leaks and hoses I do. This may sound dumb but the best thing I like about f.lux is when the screen has transitioned, the mouse cursor stays a bright white and it's real easy to see.
Oh-jeez

Did you know f.lux can interface with Philips Hue? Just found that out this morning.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 05:35 AM by AlanE.)
07-22-2015 05:33 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Neat-o. I am going to show this one at the hospital. I like it.
07-22-2015 06:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sptrout Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
Humidifier: HumidAir
CPAP Pressure: 8-11

Other Comments:

Below is a link to an article that really dives into why light, but especially blue light, is a sleep killer. This site is almost 100% dedicated to diet issues, but once in a while they do publish a non-diet article. One of my favorite sites regarding diet, if you search around the site, you will find some real surprises. Very few ads, which are scattered around.

http://authoritynutrition.com/block-blue-light-to-sleep-better/
07-22-2015 10:00 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Is one supposed to wear these blu-blocker shades in the evening after sunset, or am I not understanding this correctly? What about people who wear prescription eyeglasses? I'm not tech savvy, so hesitate to download too much stuff to my PC. Most interested in cutting my dependence on sleep aids like benzodiazipines.
08-02-2015 06:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sptrout Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(08-02-2015 06:42 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Is one supposed to wear these blu-blocker shades in the evening after sunset, or am I not understanding this correctly? What about people who wear prescription eyeglasses? I'm not tech savvy, so hesitate to download too much stuff to my PC. Most interested in cutting my dependence on sleep aids like benzodiazipines.

If you are referring to the blue blocking glasses in the article that I posted a link to, then yes you wear them for a couple hours before bedtime. They are just plastic that are large enough to wear over prescription glasses. Nothing fancy at all. I am not sure what you are referring to about downloading anything. It is just a link to an article. The glasses mentioned are from Amazon.com.

It is weird to watch TV, for example, with all the blue light blocked, but you can get use to it. They will not "put you out" like a sleeping pill, but just help your body know that it is dark, when it is not, to help start the process of getting to sleep with the natural production of melatonin. Just a simple thing to try to see if it helps.
08-02-2015 07:45 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(08-02-2015 07:45 PM)sptrout Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 06:42 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Is one supposed to wear these blu-blocker shades in the evening after sunset, or am I not understanding this correctly? What about people who wear prescription eyeglasses? I'm not tech savvy, so hesitate to download too much stuff to my PC. Most interested in cutting my dependence on sleep aids like benzodiazipines.

If you are referring to the blue blocking glasses in the article that I posted a link to, then yes you wear them for a couple hours before bedtime. They are just plastic that are large enough to wear over prescription glasses. Nothing fancy at all. I am not sure what you are referring to about downloading anything. It is just a link to an article. The glasses mentioned are from Amazon.com.

It is weird to watch TV, for example, with all the blue light blocked, but you can get use to it. They will not "put you out" like a sleeping pill, but just help your body know that it is dark, when it is not, to help start the process of getting to sleep with the natural production of melatonin. Just a simple thing to try to see if it helps.

I'm sorry, I was referring the the f.lux download suggestion. Just thinking out loud and not explaining myself very well I'm afraid.

Interesting idea. I do have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Might just try this.
08-02-2015 09:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sptrout Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(08-02-2015 09:26 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 07:45 PM)sptrout Wrote:  

I'm sorry, I was referring the the f.lux download suggestion. Just thinking out loud and not explaining myself very well I'm afraid.

Interesting idea. I do have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Might just try this.

The f. Lux program is a small program that is effective if you are using your computer in the evening before bedtime, or while in bed. It removes the blue light spectrum from the computer's display and it does look a little odd. It is easy to setup and it is automatic thereafter. Since it is free, and easily removed if you don't like it, it is worth a try IMO.
08-03-2015 09:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How could this happen in real life DariaVader 7 490 07-29-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [News] Real-time WInd Map Netskier 7 3,454 04-01-2012 06:44 PM
Last Post: Netskier