Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
I have severe sleep apnea (AHI 31). I am in shock and disbelief because... 

I only slept for 1 HOUR. I could not sleep at all other than that 1 hour. Wasn't tired at all. Totally expected them to say there was not enough data. 

My at home study showed only a 5.4 AHI.

I don't snore (to my knowledge).

I am NOT tired all day to the point where I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. (low energy and want to lay down, YES).

I dream every night. People with apnea are supposed to have trouble making it to REM state. 

I didn't feel like I had a rough night on the day on the test.

Again. Still in disbelief. Don't know what to say. Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'd rather my problem be this than some other mystery illness that no ones heard of.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
Home studies notoriously underestimate AHI because they have no means of determining that you are asleep. With a positive result, the next step is to be issued an auto CPAP or to take a titration sleep test. Give that you are not very tolerant of the clinic environment, I think you should argue for the self-titration with auto C-PAP. Many of us have done this, and with a full-data machine it is easy and quick. Doctors and clinics make more money with in-clinic titration, but self-titration is easy and you will end up with a better machine and more knowledge of your condition.

I recommend you specifically request a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. This machine is more responsive to apnea, hypopnea and flow limitation, and is easier to self titrate. It also offers a "comfort" exhale pressure relief (EPR) that acts like bilevel, and offers a lot more therapeutic flexibility in case you need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bright side is you caught the problem and with treatment your adding years to your life. Also you have the best support group in this web side that anyone could hope for.

It's not a curse it's a blessing! Way-to-happy Too-happy-2
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

One important thing I want to add.

When I lay on my back (awake), sometimes it is difficult to breathe. My brain compensates by making me hold my breath for seconds at a time while I regain my energy to take another breath.

They said I had a mix of OSA and central. But could the central NOT be my brain "forgetting" to breathe, but purposely making me hold my breath as it does while I'm awake???

If that's the case, the OSA is causing what appears to be central sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2018, 09:46 AM)Broomstick Wrote: Again. Still in disbelief. Don't know what to say. Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'd rather my problem be this than some other mystery illness that no ones heard of.

Allllrighty.  Here is something to make you feel better.

You've come here.

Seriously.  This one fact should make you feel better - you're not going to find more information, more support, or more knowledge of what you're going through then you will right here on this forum.  We've all been through it, we've all had questions, and we've all had the same challenges.  As they say in Jamaica... welcome home.

They really do that, you know - every time I've been there, everyone I meet says "Welcome home."  It's really awesome.

I have one question... given your post, you don't seem to have any severe symptoms... what prompted the sleep study in the first place?  To me it sounds like there must have been something... but it also sounds like you are so new to the experience that catching it now might be the best thing that's happened to you.

My personal apnea journey was that I really, honestly, knew I had sleep apnea, but didn't want to admit it.  I spent 5 years not admitting it.  When I finally did, and got treatment for it, my life changed.  I could stay awake long enough to finish a conversation, for instance. (God forbid I found the person I was talking with to be a bore... snoring is not socially acceptable conversation. :-) )
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2018, 10:14 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 09:46 AM)Broomstick Wrote: Again. Still in disbelief. Don't know what to say. Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'd rather my problem be this than some other mystery illness that no ones heard of.

I have one question... given your post, you don't seem to have any severe symptoms... what prompted the sleep study in the first place?  To me it sounds like there must have been something... but it also sounds like you are so new to the experience that catching it now might be the best thing that's happened to you.

Sometimes I struggle to breathe laying on my back. Turning sideways I'm OK.

I will often feel myself struggling to breathe while dreaming (about all kinds of things. NEVER drowning). When I wake up, I often STILL struggle to breathe. I sit up and everything is OK. The minute I lay down, it's hard to breathe again. 

The continuing to struggle has become less severe lately. (Is my diaphragm becoming stronger? If so, cool.) But now I'm waking up and I certainly FEEL like I've been struggling to breathe for the past (however many) minutes/hours. I feel an immense relief once I start breathing better again. And the feeling lasts for minutes. Like when you urinate after holding it in all night. 

I also have extremely low energy and struggle to get out of bed. I put 2 and 2 together one day (February 2018). "Maybe me struggling to breathe and waking up suffocating has something to do with my low energy" I thought. And It took all this time to get to this point due to paperwork issues, long waiting times, and, mostly, my fear of the doctor and putting off making phone calls.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the absence of a pulmonary, restrictive or neuromuscular disorder, or obesity hypoventilation, the symptoms you feel are unlikely to be related to sleep apnea, and may simply be stress or a sleep transition issue where you don't breathe for short periods. If you are concerned about the central component of your diagnostic test, the a titration may be a good idea, otherwise I'll stick with the suggestion for self-titration.

I think it's more likely you and I share in common a frequent symptom of obstructive apnea. I have a lot of difficulty as I fall asleep without positive pressure therapy, taking easy normal breaths. I frequently startle away and generally sleep poorly if for some reason I don't have CPAP/BPAP. This may be the sensation you are describing. It goes away once you are treated with positive pressure as your airway becomes less restricted, and the machine actually provides some respiratory assistance. Part of the reason I suggested the Airsense 10 Autoset is because it can change pressure between inhale and exhale by up to 3-cm H2O. That's not a lot, but it can make a difference in making exhale easy and inhale effortless. Try not to worry too much about the restrictive or lack of effort you may feel now and think how good it's going to be to have some help to breathe normally.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2018, 11:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: In the absence of a pulmonary, restrictive or neuromuscular disorder, or  obesity hypoventilation, the symptoms you feel are unlikely to be related to sleep apnea, and may simply be stress or a sleep transition issue where you don't breathe for short periods.  If you are concerned about the central component of your diagnostic test, the a titration may be a good idea, otherwise I'll stick with the suggestion for self-titration.  

I think it's more likely you and I share in common a frequent symptom of obstructive apnea.  I have a lot of difficulty as I fall asleep without positive pressure therapy, taking easy normal breaths.  I frequently startle away and generally sleep poorly if for some reason I don't have CPAP/BPAP.  This may be the sensation you are describing.  It goes away once you are treated with positive pressure as your airway becomes less restricted, and the machine actually provides some respiratory assistance.  Part of the reason I suggested the Airsense 10 Autoset is because it can change pressure between inhale and exhale by up to 3-cm H2O. That's not a lot, but it can make a difference in making exhale easy and inhale effortless.  Try not to worry too much about the restrictive or lack of effort you may feel now and think how good it's going to be to have some help to breathe normally.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you think my difficulty breathing while awake is unrelated to apnea? 

The way I feel while I struggle to breathe laying on my back awake, is EXACTLY what I feel in my dreams just before waking up and, often, continue to feel once awakened.

I was concerned that my problem wasn't related to sleep apnea because I can experience it regardless of sleep. The doctor didn't agree and mentioned gravity. 

I assume the weight of my own body crushes my airway a little. I'm not a heavy person though. 

I don't feel like my breathing is ever stopping but that the airway is becoming narrow when laying down.

Again, I automatically hold my breath while on my back because that becomes the most efficient way to breathe. It's too strenuous to breathe normally so my diaphragm takes a breath then rests up while regaining the energy to take another deep breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have trouble breathing while awake and on my back, with me it's COPD. Does not mean anything for you, but yes it can happen without sleep apnea being involved.

My example for you is my FIL. his claims were exactly like yours. he did not think he shored (wife said different), he did not think he was tired, though he sat in a lounge chair for most of the day and slept on an off. he fought getting the CPAP, but since then he has not slept a night without it. He made on adjustment to humidity level and has left it alone since that. He loves it.

Turns out he had adapted his habits to his apnea and just got used to it. He is so much happier now. Not saying this is you, but again it can happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi broomstick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Its great that you have come here for support and ask as many questions to help you better understand.
Good luck as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.