Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leak/Low Flow Rate
RE: Large Leak/Low Flow Rate
(02-28-2015, 10:59 AM)jms722 Wrote: I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add the attachment of the screenshot!! Says I've reached my attachment quota.
I /we wish every night could look as good as last night!
To answer your questions... before changing to 20cm his 14 day AHI was 2.45 with large leaks on many, but not every night. One night he had a leak of 108 minutes, then things returned to normal. Since changing to 20 cm, excluding some days with faulty readings due to a card issue, his AHI is 4.02. That being said, he also has had no RERA since the increase in pressure.
Today we will go through the mask fitting video and do that. I think that may be an issue. Every time I tell him his mask is leaking (buzzing) he tells me he has it as tight as he can get it. Now I understand that is not the answer to the leaks.

I also understand, thanks to the experience of the members here, that when he is having these leaks the machine cannot read properly.
However I'm still not convinced that his lying on his back and not breathing (normally) isn't causing the machine to think it is having large leaks. If one stops breathing or breathes very shallowly, the air has to go somewhere, right?

(02-28-2015, 11:13 AM)jms722 Wrote: BTW, last night he had just 5 hypopnea, 6 obstructive for an AHI of 1.71. No large leaks or anything else!!

The most recent night is encouraging. You are going to have to consider if this increase in pressure is actually beneficial, and that will take a week or two to figure out. I would encourage you to evaluate not only AHI but how he feels. It seems he received adequate therapy results with the lower pressure, and might even benefit from a bilevel that would drop pressure on exhalation. Leaks remain your biggest challenge.

I hope you will remain engaged in his treatment and post updates. As your post count goes up, your allotment of attachments will also increase. You can also just link images hosted off-site. Best of luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
His machine WAS set to sound an alarm and shut off during a large leak (mask removal). The alarm actually did go off and the machine shut off one night while he was wearing it. The alarm woke me up, so I can confirm this. I talked to the respiratory therapist who works for the equipment provider about my concern. She suggested turning the alarm off which in turn keeps the machine from turning off while he's wearing it during large leaks.
I am 99% certain that he is not taking the mask off during the night.
This problem seems to happen only when he is on his back, so we will fit the mask while lying on his back before he sleeps tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
What may be happening is that when he sleeps on his back his airway starts to collapse and his machine responds by raising the pressure. So it's the higher pressure that's pushing his mask off. You can try adjusting the mask. Another trick is to sew a tennis ball into the back of his night shirt to keep him from rolling onto his back.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a theory: I think when he sleeps on his back his mouth falls open farther, making the mask leak. I say farther because he says he sleeps with his mouth open all the time.
Sleeper: he is at a constant pressure of 20cm though
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.