Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The supplies keep coming...
RE: The supplies keep coming...
Just before I pinched off DME CPAP supplies coming from Florida (?) I hoped to qualify for a FL-needed VAuto to replace--put on standby or hold for lending-- my M/C-Anthem paid low hour Autoset. It was nearing its 5-year mark in September of 2020. I  stopped supply deliveries back then and those remain stopped as I still have plenty of all supplies. 

The shipping-supplying DME site in Florida promptly began pushing me to replace my Autoset that September. I told them don't call me more, I'll call you, but soon had to forcefully remind them of that and they did stop pestering. But I do get come back letters, etc. 

I contacted my pulmonologist to help me get the VAuto. He, on the phone when working to treat Covid in a hospital, said it was doubtful I would qualify and, in any case, I'd be required to have a supporting sleep study and he doubted it would support VAuto replacement by insurance. 

Of course all was dead in the water with C19, no way to do anything then if I had wanted to and I did not want to pointlessly waste the money and time. 

As a long time well FL-treated user of an out of pocket used VAuto, some months later I did discuss with the reasonable local DME manager my getting a new Resmed A11 when available. I could sell it as truly new and recoup most of the cost a new out of pocket VAuto. But he said that, minimally, I would have to establish initial compliance to keep the machine, and I believe he said, that I'd have show compliance near my 1-year mark of use to own it. 

I had no stomach for the nonsense or somehow gaming the system any more than I've stated.

In the end I bought a new VAuto out of pocket for a  low price from one of the suppliers on the ApneaBoard list (soon after that, it was removed from the ApneaBoard list).  

The system Loco it seems:  Sleep study cost + new A11 cost: OK....................but  VAuto cost = new A11 cost + a couple or few hundred dollars: not OK without costly sleep study.

It could be, I suppose, that an in--lab sleep study costs less than I think, but I'd guess it's much more than the cost difference between a VAuto and the new A11.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The supplies keep coming...
(10-31-2021, 12:49 AM)clownbell Wrote: This may not be Big Guy's situation, but I think some DMEs have an automatic replenishment system for which a user can sign up. No phone call from DME to user, thus no opportunity to decline supplies. Things just "appear" in the mail according to replenishment guidelines of user's insurance, whether they are needed or not. This is good for the DME because it keeps sales volume up (and presumably profits too), albeit artificially and unnecessarily.

Yes, that's how my DME supplier (Rotech Healthcare) operates. They do advise me when it's time to ship. They confirm my previous order as far as supplies go, and if I want anything different this time? 

I suppose I could decline an order easily enough. I have an appt. with my sleep doctor on Nov. 17th. He and I are going to discuss my feelings in regards to CPAP Therapy. It's been over three years now and nothing is happening. I sleep just was well (if not better) w/o my gear than I do with it. 

No way I'm gonna be doing this the rest of my life. So.....that being the case, I need to decide when I stop it altogether.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 171 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 218 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,432 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 323 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 968 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 427 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 1,042 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.