Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sores on edge of nasal passage
Sores on edge of nasal passage
I am using a ResMed AirTouch N20 Nasal Mask. This is not a pillows mask. The mask does not touch my nasal area. Problem is, I get very painful sores on the edge of my nasal area. And my nose is red almost like Rudolph The Red Nose Rain Deer. I clean my equipment usually once a week but now twice per week. It hasn't made a difference. To clean, , I soak the hose, mask and water tank in white vinegar during the day and wash it with soap during the evening before going to bed. For years, that was fine. But now I'm getting the sores. Any body else have these issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sores on edge of nasal passage
Are you using the version with the silicone cushion or the memory foam cushion?  And if the memory foam version, note that the cushion is supposed to be cleaned only with their special wipes; normal cleaning techniques will damage the foam, and the foam is supposed to be replaced every 30 days.

If you're getting redness in an area that does not get pressure, it may be an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis (and the redness can appear in areas that aren't necessarily where the mask normally is in contact with your skin).  Make sure you aren't causing it by improper care of memory foam (which may be breaking down or retaining cleaning materials). 

In any case, you will probably need to switch to a different mask, at least temporarily, that contacts your nose differently so the inflamed area can heal.  Maybe use nasal pillows for a week (although if that's the most inflamed area, you may need a nasal mask that contacts your skin in a different location than the current mask). It may help to apply some over-the-counter cortisone cream to the inflamed area during the day (wash it off at night before putting the mask on).
Post Reply Post Reply
and while you get the answer to the irritation, try slipping cotton fabric (50% cotton at least) between the nose and the mask cushion. I sometime slide an edge of a handkerchief in between the cushion and the irritated area(s).

QAL

Post Reply Post Reply
'Lansinoh' works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 378 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 612 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.