Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The times next to events on OSCAR
The times next to events on OSCAR
  The numbers in ( ) on OSCAR is the number of seconds that an event lasted.  On your wiki an apnea is defined as l" Cessation of breathing for 10 or more seconds during sleep"  Does that mean the numbers in ( ) start at the 10 second mark?  For example, I had 3 obstructions, they were (8), (8), and (9).  Does that mean they were really 18 and 19 seconds?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The times next to events on OSCAR
Interesting question. Hopefully the smart people on here have the answers.

I too have noticed many events marked less than 10 second.
When I examine the event graph closely the 'event' is definitely just the length of the number in brackets, I often see 6s and 7s.
My understand is that your machine marks the events and durations, not OSCAR. I'm using a Dreamstation myself.
Equally, I frequently see obvious hypopneas and apneas well over 10s on the flow chart that don't get marked.
There also appears (to me) to be far too few pressure pulses to accurately discern CAs from OAs. Only 1 in 5(ish) marked seems to have a pressure pulse, so how can the machine determine one or the other? I'd be expecting to see a pressure pulse each time a full cessation of breathing is detected.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Philips machines the duration is not exactly seconds but it is close enough. But the event in the brackets is the total duration reported by the machine there is no need to add an additional 10 seconds
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 147 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 225 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 229 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 725 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  CPAP CA Events brainfoggysleeper 2 208 02-29-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.