Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The trip from ignorance and denial
The trip from ignorance and denial
I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea 12 years ago or maybe more but for some reason I did not follow-up with the treatment

4 years ago I was getting up feeling sick and the morning headache becoming unbearable.
All of the sudden I saw the light, almost like being on the road to to Damascus

The following day saw the doctor, asked for a a script and got myself an S9 AutoSet. What followed is history, also had couple sleep studies since then and both confirmed "severe OSA" as the original study diagnoses

I read a number of stories similar to mine, get diagnosed, get CPAP and shove it in the cupboard ... revisit years later and CPAP becomes best friend. As the saying goes ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The trip from ignorance and denial
Couldn't agree more Zonk.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 10:30 PM)zonk Wrote: I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea 12 years ago or maybe more but for some reason I did not follow-up with the treatment

4 years ago I was getting up feeling sick and the morning headache becoming unbearable.

The following day saw the doctor, asked for a a script and got myself an S9 AutoSet. What followed is history, also had couple sleep studies since then and both confirmed "severe OSA" as the original study diagnoses

I read a number of stories similar to mine, get diagnosed, get CPAP and shove it in the cupboard ... revisit years later and CPAP becomes best friend. As the saying goes ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Often wondered back in the late 90's if the denyers I came across had since died of a heart attack or stroke.

Seems not Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Not died but came close, my cardiologist said something sounded like .. missed the train this time, might not be that lucky next time around

I can say to all newbies, stick with it while you can otherwise you'll come back much sicker than what you,re are now

Life is too short ... enjoy it while you can
Now I'm so grateful and appreciative for every day
Gift from god

I cannot imagine, life without PAP
PAP is a way of life ... my life
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasnt diagnosed though Im sure I have had OSA for twenty years or better. When I was younger and driving a semi cross country I knew I snored like bull elephant and stopped breathing during the night because others would tell me when we happened to share a motel room over weekend or some such. I also always had trouble with my BP being high. Nothing radical when I was younger but always right on the border. 140/90 to 95. The nurses giving physicals for companies I leased too or drove for would pass me blowing the BP off as being a bit high due to driving all night the night before or riding a bus all the previous night.

My present wife once we were married also commented on the same thing but I simply blew it off. Didnt know about OSA.
Then it messed up my heart heart rythem and blew my BP out the roof. Still Id go to ER after ER by ambulance from my truck and did so for about a year until my CDL was pulled because of my heart.

Developed Afib, PVCs, thickened LVetentrical wall, some other things as well. Finally now on Cpap Afib is gone, PVCs are gone. BP is controllable on on two meds instead of four. And in good numbers even a tad low at times.

Ventrical wall is slowly thinning due to no OSA induced ventricular after load.

Im with Zonk. If you are lucky enough to get diagnosed before bad thing happen for Petes sakes stick with it. OSA will mess you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that was my attitude. "Better to have to sleep for the rest of your life with a mask than to die"
Post Reply Post Reply
I was forced to drink the water. As a long-haul truck driver, had to get a medical every year. Have had the same Primary doc for some 20 years. Heart rate every year bout 80 - not great, but not bad for a fat guy that sits all day. One year I go in for my yearly exam and my heart rate is '122' - doc waits five minutes, tries again, '122' - figures I've just be running hard lately, sends me home to sleep and tells me to come in tomorrow morning, I do, '122' - now Doc is concerned, gives me a shot of 'valium', waits 5 minutes til I am almost nodding off - '122' - yanks my medical card, and starts all sorts of tests, no go, 4 days later sends me to the sleep Doc - the rest is history.

Took CPAP and heart meds some 10+ years, but my at rest heart rate is in the 70s now.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2014, 12:43 AM)lab rat Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 10:30 PM)zonk Wrote: I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea 12 years ago or maybe more but for some reason I did not follow-up with the treatment

Often wondered back in the late 90's if the denyers I came across had since died of a heart attack or stroke.

Seems not Smile

That story sounds like me. And while I didn't die from a stroke, I certainly had one. I was initially paralyzed on my right side with great difficulty stringing
two sentences together. I made a dramatic recovery, such that on day three of my hospitalization I was discharged to my home with outpatient rehab rather than a rehab hospital. Four months later I'm 99% and very thankful for that. Very thankful. And the CPAP has come of storage and onto my face.

As to why I abandoned CPAP therapy, I have three reasons: initial discomfort, denial, and vanity. Not any more

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that maybe my story is a little different. I had elevated blood pressure, that is how it was described by medicos and was prescribed medication that kept the BP controlled. Then in a routine eyesight test it was discovered that I had a serious eye condition. Many opthalmologists later I was diagnosed with central serous chorioretinopathy (mouthful) and after eliminating most causes of the condition I was referred for a sleep study. OSA was the cause of the eye problem and if I didn't have therapy via APAP I guess that I would be blind. Also after starting therapy my BP has decreased.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was no denial for me. I had no clue wth was wrong. I was falling asleep anywhere and everywhere. Couldn't even sit in the passenger seat for more than 3 minutes. The car was really the only place I could sleep. Everywhere else I just passed out and that was that. It was the worst feeling ever, just trying to stay awake and couldn't do it. After being diagnosed my whole life has changed.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP or not on short trip? mcman56 8 962 09-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 1,997 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Obesity, Pride, Ignorance, and CPAP Traumer 11 2,102 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My spouse is in denial readyforsleep 13 2,288 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: readyforsleep
  Medicare Denial Kidnap 91 17,817 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Kidnap
  Korea business trip trip report, machine died GeoffD 13 6,385 04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Last Post: GeoffD
  what spares to take on trip? worn_out_in_lebanon 12 4,313 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.