Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The trip from ignorance and denial
RE: The trip from ignorance and denial
(11-18-2014, 12:39 AM)Galactus Wrote: There was no denial for me. I had no clue wth was wrong. I was falling asleep anywhere and everywhere. Couldn't even sit in the passenger seat for more than 3 minutes. The car was really the only place I could sleep. Everywhere else I just passed out and that was that. It was the worst feeling ever, just trying to stay awake and couldn't do it. After being diagnosed my whole life has changed.

As it was 18 years ago I have little memory of the first few months with a machine except that at one point I cried because it was such an improvement on nodding off at my desk at work and my boss not comprehending the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am sure I have been suffering from OSA for many years, I finally saw an ENT guy here who basically said my nose and sinus were blocked, did a sleep test and prescribed surgery. From what I remember it was a nasal turbinate or something along those lines. Anyway as a result I could breath much easier and my partner at the time stopped complaining about the snoring.
There were two reasons I went for the surgical option, the first being I was a very keen and prolific scuba diver, but always had a bit of an issue with equalizing my ears. The second was I didn't want to sleep on my own.

After another 10 or so years I have been getting all the classic symptoms, headache, tiredness inability to concentrate etc and of course the snoring problem that my dear wife just put up with.
If was finally referred to an ENT doc who put a camera down my nose and showed me that my tongue was very large and he suggested a sleep test. So I went home that night with the testing gear, very nearly fell asleep without pressing the on button, and did the test, dropped it back at the clinic the next day and was told the following day that I had AHI of 22.
I then trailed a Cpap machine for a week and felt an immediate difference. Fortunately during that trial I came across this site and realised that I could get a top line APAP machine from the U.S. at half the price here, also with a great selection of masks to choose from. The only choice I had here was nasal pillows, nasal mask or full face mask all from the same brand.
Well to cut a long story short, I invested in the AS10 and the P10 mask and am absolutely delighted with the results.
I should have gone this route years ago, but the thought of sleeping with all those tubes etc put me off completely, and docs here prefer surgery to therapy, it pays better, so no advice was given.
So if anyone is unsure whether to go the CPAP route and persevere with it, I would categorically say " GO FOR IT "you will be amazed at how much better your quality of life can be.

Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 07:44 AM)lab rat Wrote: As it was 18 years ago I have little memory of the first few months with a machine except that at one point I cried because it was such an improvement on nodding off at my desk at work and my boss not comprehending the problem.

I have to say that was a really big issue, people who have not been exposed to this do not comprehend that we really can not stay awake. I was at the point of toothpicks in the eyes, crazy gluing my lids open, and doing anything I could to stay awake and I just couldn't manage to do it. As soon as I was in an upright position like a desk chair, or car bucket seat I would nod off almost immediately. It is only now I realize it is likely the only time my osa relaxed enough for me to get some sleep. And you know no matter how long you've been married or seeing someone there is no way you can feel good or make that person feel good when you fall asleep during the act. I mean you can make the tired excuse once or twice but after that it begins with "you must not want to anymore" or "you don't love me" or "I don't excite you" I mean what do you say? Having not been diagnosed I had no idea what was wrong with me, I just flatly couldn't stay awake. It was no way to live. Add that with changes in personality, short temper, and all the rest of the effects, it is just bad news. So much better now, so happy to know what was wrong, and that it can be resolved so easily.

(11-18-2014, 08:10 AM)Eurika Wrote: There were two reasons I went for the surgical option, the first being I was a very keen and prolific scuba diver, but always had a bit of an issue with equalizing my ears. The second was I didn't want to sleep on my own.

It's funny you mention the pressure thing because one of the issues I am having now is every night after donning the mask my ears pop and it is so annoying. I have found that opening my mouth and allowing some of the air to get through actually seems to alleviate the issue. It has taken me 6 or 7 months to get that information, lol.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had tubes put into my ears due to repeated inner ear infections. I was told they will fall out by themselves in 3-4 yrs. It's been right at 5yrs now, lost the left side last year, still have the right one in.

The *idea* of the tubes is weird and sucks - but the reality of the tubes was fine - don't notice anything, and stopped having issues.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
So what did the tubes do allow the inner ear to breathe and prevent infection, or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
They allow for easy viewing from one ear through the other ear to the outside world.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey you quit picking on my snail.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 11:37 PM)Galactus Wrote: So what did the tubes do allow the inner ear to breathe and prevent infection, or what?

Unlike what RT thought...

I have small eustation(sic) tubes, that block/clog easily creating both pressure, plugged ears, and inner ear infections. I would get ear-aches on planes, etc...

With the tubes in - all the above goes/went away.

I am not an ENT, I do not know what if any effect this can have on hearing (mine is so-so for my age, or, not so great), have also popped an ear-drum more than once (bleeding from the ear).

In *my* case, there were no down-sides from adding the tubes (yes, I could and did swim without earl-plugs with no issues).
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
(11-20-2014, 02:59 PM)Galactus Wrote: Hey you quit picking on my snail.

Hehe - "your" snail - what are we - going steady or something??

Dielaughing Dont-know Huhsign

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2014, 04:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 02:59 PM)Galactus Wrote: Hey you quit picking on my snail.

Hehe - "your" snail - what are we - going steady or something??

Dielaughing Dont-know Huhsign

Damn you! I thought we agreed to keep that our little secret. You said "Tell no one" and I haven't, now LUnsureUnsureK what you did!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP or not on short trip? mcman56 8 962 09-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 1,995 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Obesity, Pride, Ignorance, and CPAP Traumer 11 2,102 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My spouse is in denial readyforsleep 13 2,288 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: readyforsleep
  Medicare Denial Kidnap 91 17,814 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Kidnap
  Korea business trip trip report, machine died GeoffD 13 6,380 04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Last Post: GeoffD
  what spares to take on trip? worn_out_in_lebanon 12 4,313 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.