Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High AHI Levels
High AHI Levels
During the past 2 months, I have had AHI levels of 38 to 41 while using each of the 2 Auto CPAP machines that I own. What can I do to lower these levels. My Rx says pressure = 10. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI Levels
Are the events Obstructive? or Clear Airway? the answer for what action to take depends on the answer to that question... Which S9 are you using? Is it data capable?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2015, 12:01 PM)jmpower4 Wrote: During the past 2 months, I have had AHI levels of 38 to 41 while using each of the 2 Auto CPAP machines that I own. What can I do to lower these levels. My Rx says pressure = 10. Thanks.

First of all, these levels are way too high if they are frequent. You should probably be talking to your doctor to see what he or she suggests.

Secondly we need full details on the make and model to be entered into your account properties.

Thirdly you have a data capable machine you should be using software to check your data after every night and, SleepyHead is a good choice if it supports your machine. If you have an auto machine why are you using a constant pressure? The whole point of these machines is that they can adjust the pressure to prevent obstructive apneas.

Mostly we need more information, but if the machine isn't bringing your AHI below 5 every night you need to change things and you really need to let your sleep doctor know about it so he or she can advise how to deal with it. Every day you let that go on is another day you come closer to strangling yourself into a heart attack or stroke. No need to panic, but a BIG need to get on top of this and take action.

You've taken the first step by posting here. Keep doing that, too.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmpower4,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should mention this to your Doc.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2015, 12:01 PM)jmpower4 Wrote: During the past 2 months, I have had AHI levels of 38 to 41 while using each of the 2 Auto CPAP machines that I own. What can I do to lower these levels. My Rx says pressure = 10. Thanks.
Welocome to Apnea Board, jmpower4

If the machine is an S9 as in your profile, the S9 would be either AutoSet or Escape Auto
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

If Escape Auto, we're not going to find out, types of apnea events or duration of each in seconds, leak rate, ... or any detailed information using SleepyHead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

If AutoSet, you'll need to download the software to see whats going on and whether any events scored while you're awake
awake events are meaningless

The idea of an AutoSet is auto-adjust pressure throughout the night to suit your breathing needs. the machine can pre-empt an apnea by increase pressure in response to snoring and flow limitation which are early signs of coming obstructive apnea, not central apnea
Fixed CPAP have limitation, pressure cannot move lower or higher than set pressure, expect Ramp period but the machine does not detect events or provide treatment during Ramp

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 243 5 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 122 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 362 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,878 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 178 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 169 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.