Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The war of the mask -- looking for advice from experienced warriors
RE: The war of the mask -- looking for advice from experienced warriors
(06-25-2013, 10:32 AM)APNEA_Sam Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 09:55 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Actually the total face mask does not direct any airflow across the eyes.

Learn something every day. I didn't know that even existed. I can only imagine the complications of anything but sleeping on your back with that one though...

In fact, I avoid sleeping on my back by wearing a back pack stuffed with tennis balls.
I use the Wet Ones on the mask seal just before bed and then on my face.
The mask stays stuck on all the way up to 20cm pressure.
I run infra-red time lapse videos now & then to see how I am doing.
I don't move around that much except to roll to the other side every few hours.
---
Getting up to answer the call of nature is a drag because you have to take the thing off so you can see.
In short. I hate this mask, but it works best for me so I use it.

Meh...

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2013, 11:53 AM)onsonby Wrote: I then switched to a hybrid, giving me mouth and nose breathing options but without constricting the bridge of my nose. But it just never worked, and I ripped it off regularly.

From the problems you describe, it does sound like a hybrid mask would be your ideal solution. Can you elaborate on how it wasn't working? While I have no direct experience with those masks, I have read that they take a fair bit of fiddling to get properly fitted.

As others have said, it may be that a total face mask is in your future.

Sadly, archangle is correct that the gel customization appears to only be available for the (now discontinued) ComfortGel (non-Blue) mask. You could try to see if there is old stock to be had. If it does work, you'll need to buy a lifetime supply of replacement gel cushions.

You might also try the customization technique with other gel masks. The danger is that the manual for the ComfortGel Blue specifically warns against attempting a heat customization, so you run a real risk of ruining the gel pad. Of course, a replacement gel pad is still going to be cheaper than having a custom-made mask. If you are interested, I could quote the appropriate part of the ComfortGel manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I use respirator dusk masks in my work and HATED the pain on my nose.

So I asked for the full total face mask first thing. (Check my stuff)

Being a Sci-Fi fan I tried making friend with the mask by dreaming it as a Space Suit, breathing mask for Mars..diving mask for diving deep sea ship wrecks..

So I "got along" with it from the get go.

My only problem has been how tight I have to make it and some leaks.

BUT now a days I am very used to it and I almost never see/feel any high pressure.

Not to brag but two months in and I sleep with Low AHIs , see my personal thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid38972

I have a Van Dike style bread and no problems.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Shave ASAP. Then try as many masks as you can. Everybody is different. When you find the right one, you will know it immediately. First of all you won't rip it off because you will fall asleep and will not wake until morning. You will be astonished the first time this happens and you will love the feeling better than sex! Then you will get committed to the process of not ripping it off. It took me 5 years to stop doing that. Persistence my friend! It will pay off in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 263 58 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 787 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.