Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Sex: Male

RE: The worst steak
Several of us are going to burn in PC heck

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
04-29-2015 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GeoffD Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Integral + ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 14-17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(04-28-2015 09:20 PM)me50 Wrote:  a big portion of food is gmo and we do our best to stay away from gmo food. takes a lot of work and money to do it though

GMO food isn't the problem. Almost everything we eat has been selectively bred for centuries. The problem is Monsanto-created crops that can be weeded with RoundUp. I'd be totally happy eating GMO food that was grown using organic techniques so I'm not eating pesticides and weed killer.

I don't eat beef very often. When I do, I want to use prime rather than choice. These days, I don't live in an area affluent enough to support a butcher who carries prime beef unless I need a lot of it and do a special order. The nearest Costco is almost an hour. Regional competitor BJ's Wholesale has very limited amounts of prime beef CRYOVACed as individual small steaks but it's not like going to a butcher and having them carve off some steaks to my specifications.
04-29-2015 01:18 PM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

Sex: Female

(04-29-2015 01:18 PM)GeoffD Wrote:  GMO food isn't the problem. Almost everything we eat has been selectively bred for centuries. The problem is Monsanto-created crops that can be weeded with RoundUp. I'd be totally happy eating GMO food that was grown using organic techniques so I'm not eating pesticides and weed killer.

The whole purpose of GMO seeds, though, is to make them resistant to the herbicides and other chemicals used. There's no point in buying Genetically Modified seeds if you are going to grow them organically.

The cross-breeding which occurs in nature, and described by Gregoire Mendell, is not the same as Genetic Modification as practiced by Monsanto. And you are correct that it has been happening forever.

Cross-breeding happens via pollen, birds, wind, and seed companies have used it for centuries.

[attachment=1444]

Even purple and orange and green cauliflower isn't GMO:

Quote:Andrew Coker, a spokesman for the plant company Syngenta - which is developing the plants in Europe - stressed that the colourful cauliflowers were not the result of genetic engineering, but came after decades of traditional selective breeding.

The point is, that essential composition of food is being changed, and this might not be a problem, but there has been almost no testing that is not paid for by the corporations that will profit from these changes.

So we really don't know what effects they will have on us. Our digestive system evolved over millennia, and the microbes that make it work have not been selected for these new materials.

No one knows if GMO foods are good for us. Or if they are not only indigestible but even treated by our digestive systems as noxious, triggering auto-immunity reactions.

The Rodale Institute, in 2008, added GM corn and soy to their 30+ year study of organic vs conventional agriculture. So we'll learn more.

For now, as published in 2012, here's what they have learned:
Organic Trumps Conventional Across the Board: Highlights from The Rodale Institute’s 30-Year Report

So, they are not better at feeding the world.

And I have resisted telling what I know about the marketing methods, especially the dramatic results in India, where thousands of farmers committed suicide when they were bankrupted by the contract fees to Monsanto. By not being allowed to replant seeds from the harvested crops, which they did for centuries. Many of them died by drinking the very herbicides they were supposed to apply to the GM crops.

Are GMO foods harmful? We don't know. The testing has not been done. Even some universities which wanted to test them were not allowed to purchase the seeds.

So, bravo, Vermont, for a good labelling law.

But even scarier than that, is that somewhere in the West, don't recall where, the EPA has just recently cleared fracking waste water to be consumed by cattle.

600+ chemicals, and corporations have not been required to even provide a list of them.

Will that make your steak taste better?

Would you let your pregnant wife eat it? IF you even knew that was their water supply?
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:56 PM by AirSign.)
04-29-2015 01:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(04-29-2015 07:52 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:  Several of us are going to burn in PC heck

In that case, all my friends will be there. I flew airplanes for Uncle Sam for 20 years and was a contractor in the schoolhouse and never did quite learn to be PC. Too-funny

Homer
04-29-2015 02:19 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(04-29-2015 01:18 PM)GeoffD Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 09:20 PM)me50 Wrote:  a big portion of food is gmo and we do our best to stay away from gmo food. takes a lot of work and money to do it though

GMO food isn't the problem. Almost everything we eat has been selectively bred for centuries. The problem is Monsanto-created crops that can be weeded with RoundUp. I'd be totally happy eating GMO food that was grown using organic techniques so I'm not eating pesticides and weed killer.

I don't eat beef very often. When I do, I want to use prime rather than choice. These days, I don't live in an area affluent enough to support a butcher who carries prime beef unless I need a lot of it and do a special order. The nearest Costco is almost an hour. Regional competitor BJ's Wholesale has very limited amounts of prime beef CRYOVACed as individual small steaks but it's not like going to a butcher and having them carve off some steaks to my specifications.

Genetically modified foods (or GM foods) are foods produced from organisms that have had specific changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering. These techniques allow for the introduction of new traits as well as greater control over traits than previous methods such as selective breeding and mutation breeding.[1]
04-29-2015 04:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-29-2015 01:53 PM)AirSign Wrote:  
(04-29-2015 01:18 PM)GeoffD Wrote:  GMO food isn't the problem. Almost everything we eat has been selectively bred for centuries. The problem is Monsanto-created crops that can be weeded with RoundUp. I'd be totally happy eating GMO food that was grown using organic techniques so I'm not eating pesticides and weed killer.

The whole purpose of GMO seeds, though, is to make them resistant to the herbicides and other chemicals used. There's no point in buying Genetically Modified seeds if you are going to grow them organically.

I am not sure that this is totally accurate. I do not know about genetic modification to make crops resistant to herbicides. I do know, however, that genetic alterations are done to make crops more resistant to pests and diseases. They may also make modifications to make crops more resistant to spoilage. I would think that crops more resistant to diseases and pests would be a benefit to organic husbandry.

I am not necessarily in favor of some of the modification that is done to crops. Take the tomato for instance. It appears to me that tomatoes have been created with tougher skins so they travel better. At the same time tomatoes from the store have lost a lot of their flavor.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
04-29-2015 07:10 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

the reason tomatoes and other fruits, veggies, food don't have any flavor is because it isn't food as we know it. It is made of organisms. You can google it and get a better explanation.
04-30-2015 02:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

(04-30-2015 02:02 AM)me50 Wrote:  the reason tomatoes and other fruits, veggies, food don't have any flavor is because it isn't food as we know it. It is made of organisms. You can google it and get a better explanation.

Every living thing is an organism (by definition). I think the real reason is that they are bred for appearance and long shelf-life, in that order. Flavour and nutrition are no longer taken into account when breading for the supermarket market.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-30-2015 04:51 AM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

Sex: Female

Quote: I do not know about genetic modification to make crops resistant to herbicides.

Roundup [glyphosate] Ready Alfalfa -- Penn State Dept of Agriculture

RoundUp Ready Soybeans -- PBS

Glyphosate Poisoning -- Journal of Toxicology 2004 in NIH database

How It's Done and What Happens Next from U Colorado Extension Service, Aug 2014

Couple of areas where experiments and surveys are still needed:
1. Development of "weeds" that are resistant to the herbicide, requiring more expense and new compounds with even less-tested herbicides.
2. Long-term studies on human digestion, especially the microbiome, of effects of altered proteins and other nutrients in food.
3. Business-plan projections of the effects on international agribusiness, when all forms of food production become patented, and owned by major corporations.

The only 30-year study I've seen is the one by Rodale Institute on organic vs conventional agriculture. They started research on GMO crops in 2008 but I've not yet seen any reports of that.
04-30-2015 06:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

Interesting. Thanks for the links.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
04-30-2015 10:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question What's the secret to cooking steak? SuperSleeper 13 2,280 03-01-2014 07:45 PM
Last Post: mjbearit