Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: The worst steak
(04-29-2015 07:10 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  
(04-29-2015 01:53 PM)AirSign Wrote:  
(04-29-2015 01:18 PM)GeoffD Wrote:  GMO food isn't the problem. Almost everything we eat has been selectively bred for centuries. The problem is Monsanto-created crops that can be weeded with RoundUp. I'd be totally happy eating GMO food that was grown using organic techniques so I'm not eating pesticides and weed killer.

The whole purpose of GMO seeds, though, is to make them resistant to the herbicides and other chemicals used. There's no point in buying Genetically Modified seeds if you are going to grow them organically.

I am not sure that this is totally accurate. I do not know about genetic modification to make crops resistant to herbicides. I do know, however, that genetic alterations are done to make crops more resistant to pests and diseases. They may also make modifications to make crops more resistant to spoilage. I would think that crops more resistant to diseases and pests would be a benefit to organic husbandry.

I am not necessarily in favor of some of the modification that is done to crops. Take the tomato for instance. It appears to me that tomatoes have been created with tougher skins so they travel better. At the same time tomatoes from the store have lost a lot of their flavor.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Actually they are genetically modifying the crops to produce pesticides. the pesticide is now in the dna of the plant and cannot be washed off; this is how they are being made "resistant"

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
04-30-2015 02:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

(04-30-2015 02:20 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  Actually they are genetically modifying the crops to produce pesticides. the pesticide is now in the dna of the plant and cannot be washed off; this is how they are being made "resistant"

Yes.

And the interesting thing is, the bugs are developing immunity to the pesticides. Requiring the companies to develop new profit centers by creating new modified organisms.
And there are now "super-weeds" which are immune to the glysophate.

Like the war on drugs, it's a growth industry. Bain Capital created a very impressive business strategy for Monsanto between 1977 and 1985, when the company was under attack for PCB contamination and Agent Orange disabilities. New PR message - we're going to help feed the world.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 08:13 PM by AirSign.)
04-30-2015 08:12 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

The correct term is "transgenic" organism. The GMO term is simply wrong, but it does get misused by a LOT of people.

"Transgenic" is transferring a gene from a different organism.

"Cisgenic" is transferring a gene from a related organism. You can do this through crossbreeding, but you usually use the "cisgenic" term only when you use some sort of DNA manipulation by other than the normal sexual reproduction path.

I'm not sure there's a clear term for "transgenic" organisms using fully synthetic DNA, rather than DNA from another living organism. I don't think they're doing that with our food yet.

I'm not that concerned about "GMO" food, but we do need to throw Monsanto's management and all the politicians they've bought off in jail for the rest of their lives because of the lawsuit abuse they've done and the fact that their stuff spreads in the environment to other farmer's crops.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
04-30-2015 10:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

(04-30-2015 10:25 PM)archangle Wrote:  The correct term is "transgenic" organism. The GMO term is simply wrong, but it does get misused by a LOT of people.

"Transgenic" is transferring a gene from a different organism.

"Cisgenic" is transferring a gene from a related organism. You can do this through crossbreeding, but you usually use the "cisgenic" term only when you use some sort of DNA manipulation by other than the normal sexual reproduction path.

I'm not sure there's a clear term for "transgenic" organisms using fully synthetic DNA, rather than DNA from another living organism. I don't think they're doing that with our food yet.
Thanks
Thanks for those terms, archangle. Very helpful clarification.

As for synthetic DNA, and whether they're doing that yet, the worry for me is that we don't know. We're not told. There's immensely inadequate oversight from the regulatory agencies, such as EPA, FDA, USDA, and not because their staff are bad people, but a lot because they've not been adequately funded to do the work of protecting us. Not even for basic meat and slaughterhouse inspections, and let's not mention ports and imports, let alone what goes on in immensely wealthy corporations' labs.

Oh, and yes, I do eat meat. Fortunate enough to live where I can be an locavore, getting my meat from farms I can visit, and often have done so. Probably about 70% locavore. What's imported here is more from Prince Edward Island and Florida than from California.

But also love those fresh bamboo shoots from Domincan Republic. Today's menu includes dandelion greens from a pasture nearby. Harvested* by me. Hope to get more so I can make some dandelion pesto for the freezer.

A close relative is a retired Ag economist. Wish I could share some of the stories I've heard.

*Edit -- guess the more correct term is "foraged."
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 09:26 AM by AirSign.)
05-01-2015 09:25 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

(04-30-2015 10:25 PM)archangle Wrote:  I'm not that concerned about "GMO" food, but we do need to throw Monsanto's management and all the politicians they've bought off in jail for the rest of their lives because of the lawsuit abuse they've done and the fact that their stuff spreads in the environment to other farmer's crops.

Agreed. Their stuff spreads to other non-Monsanto farms via the wind, then the non-Monsanto farmer's crops get inadvertantly cross-bred with the Monsanto-patented genetic material (or whatever it's called) whereupon Monsanto sues the non-Monsanto farmer into oblivion for "using" their patented genetically-altered seeds.

They are able to take samples from his crops that were inadvertently infected via the wind and falsely claim that the non-Monsanto farmer is infringing upon their patent. Thus, they effectively monopolize the seed market in the U.S. by destroying all competition. These small farmers simply can't afford to engage in a drawn-out legal fight with a huge multinational agricultural corporation and their heavy-handed legal team.

It's a losing battle for the farmers who refuse to use Monsanto seeds, since it's nearly impossible to have a "completely pure" crop that is not in some way infected with the Monsanto hybrid pollen. Unless the wind stops, which ain't gonna happen any time soon.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-01-2015 09:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

FDA would rather regulate consumer prooducts like 23andme than do the work to regulate monsanto and their ilk Angry

[Image: beb3fe78995795395d3f8533621bc9cb.jpg]

05-01-2015 10:02 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Humphhh... None of this stuff has anything to do with finding my pet cow, which is why I started this thread....... I didn't start this thread? Oh... Well then, where's my pet cow?
05-01-2015 12:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-01-2015 10:02 AM)DariaVader Wrote:  FDA would rather regulate consumer products like 23andme than do the work to regulate monsanto and their ilk Angry

I was very disappointed that 23andme was no longer offering their tests.[Image: censored.gif]

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-01-2015 12:14 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

(05-01-2015 12:14 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 10:02 AM)DariaVader Wrote:  FDA would rather regulate consumer products like 23andme than do the work to regulate monsanto and their ilk Angry

I was very disappointed that 23andme was no longer offering their tests.[Image: censored.gif]

they still offer tests! they just can't give health reports... you can take the raw data tho and plug it into all sorts of third party tools, tho. Some like Livewello keep the record (and your genome) on their servers, but others like promethease leave the data on your computer.

05-01-2015 12:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(05-01-2015 09:36 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  They are able to take samples from his crops that were inadvertently infected via the wind and falsely claim that the non-Monsanto farmer is infringing upon their patent.

You don't understand how evil this really is. The way the law is written by the bought and paid for politicians, if their patented pollen infects your seed plants against your will and without your knowledge, if you plant your own seed, you have committed a crime.

If you raise your own seeds, you may be committing a crime because the GMO pollen invaded your plants without your knowledge. Note that you have committed the crime, not the invader.

You can't plant seeds from your neighbor, or from the commodity market, either. With their corrupt politicians and their lawyers, the genetic engineering companies have effectively made it illegal to not buy seeds from the agribusiness giants.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
05-01-2015 04:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question What's the secret to cooking steak? SuperSleeper 13 2,274 03-01-2014 07:45 PM
Last Post: mjbearit