Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
RE: Recommendation for cervical collar for positional apnea
Gotcha. One thing I don't like about these collars is the thickness of the strap on the back part of the neck that causes it to shift when on the pillow. Maybe I'm better off with a more shallow pillow. This shifting is worse on thicker pillows.

For the above reason, I'm considering Dr Dakota's collar that uses thin straps around the back half of the neck. Anybody try Dr Dakota's collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the trick no matter what you use is to make sure you use the length correct for your neck circumference, such that it doesn't overlap.  You should just end up with the velcro strap holding both ends together end to end.  I also use an orthopedic pillow that seems to help.  I used to use two pillows, but naturally, the flatter you can get your head neck with your spine, the more it helps with the CPAP treatment.

That said, I have tried the Dr. Dakota.  Please note there are two sizes, one that is the standard, and the other is larger/taller.  I tried the Std and needed the Lg, but in the end, it didn't work so well for me, so it's sitting on the shelf in the closet.  I found that in order to get it tight enough to avoid spinning, it was too uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion, mrmagloo

I decided against Dr Dakota type collar based on you saying it shifts around.

update: I found a 2.5" collar that works well for me (until now, I thought 3" was the lowest I can go), and doesn't cause jaw aggravations. I use Alpha Medical Universal Cervical Collar Neck Brace (2.5" Wide)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HT...UTF8&psc=1

There's a made in USA tag on this one.

The shape works for me, and I use it upside down for the upper portion to not hit my jaw first, but my chin instead. So, this one is short and actually doesn't cause any cluster obstructions for me (which is quite a pleasant surprise). Also, my 95% FL last night went to lowest at .01 (it was usually around .03 with a good mask, and .05-6 with a worse mask). The lower FL value is telling me it's working well.

The main differentiations between the generic looking collars is the shape, they somewhat vary in shape. That is the main difference that one may work better over another.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2021, 01:27 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, mrmagloo

I decided against Dr Dakota type collar based on you saying it shifts around.  

update: I found a 2.5" collar that works well for me (until now, I thought 3" was the lowest I can go), and doesn't cause jaw aggravations.  I use Alpha Medical Universal Cervical Collar Neck Brace (2.5" Wide)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HT...UTF8&psc=1

There's a made in USA tag on this one.

The shape works for me, and I use it upside down for the upper portion to not hit my jaw first, but my chin instead.  So, this one is short and actually doesn't cause any cluster obstructions for me (which is quite a pleasant surprise).  Also, my 95% FL last night went to lowest at .01 (it was usually around .03 with a good mask, and .05-6 with a worse mask).  The lower FL value is telling me it's working well.

The main differentiations between the generic looking collars is the shape, they somewhat vary in shape.  That is the main difference that one may work better over another.

Awesome news!
Post Reply Post Reply
Now, I do not wear a collar at all. No clusters of OA. However, my 95% FL increased from .01-.04 to .06-.08

When I have the collar on, it feels restrictive (and ironically, I feel like I can't breath as well, when I'm awake, but it's probably a different story when asleep). I feel like my sleep quality might be better without the collar. Not too sure, there maybe no difference despite the increased FL.

The reason why I can sleep without a collar is the usage of nasal mask. I cannot do that with FFM or I will get clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm back to using a collar. I realized taking the collar off or going too narrow of a collar would increase my FL, and it seems reducing my FL helps me get better quality sleep. It seems like it's not aggravating my jaw now either. I'm using the Walgreens brand 3" collar, and works well. I guess i'm sensitive to FL when it comes to sleep quality. I'm a sensitive sleeper.

Also, what help is the pillow I use. Just last night I realized I wasn't using the right pillow and using a more shallow one. I swapped it back with the cheap Target firm pillow, and the side position of my body is more ergonomic and it's helping as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 215 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 81 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.