Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Theoretical Setting for a Bi-Level Machine Question
Question 
Theoretical Setting for a Bi-Level Machine Question
This is based on my curiosity only.  My understanding is a Bi-Level PAP addresses EPAP and IPAP as separate entities, only being connected by a delta value, Pressure Support(PS).  

My questions are:
1. Can you set the EPAP to a fixed value and allow the IPAP to vary only? (I don't recall ever seeing a setting like this.)
2. If so, what conditions or indicators would warrant such a configuration?

Thanks in advance.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Theoretical Setting for a Bi-Level Machine Question
The Philips BiPAP auto has settings for minimum EPAP, maximum IPAP and can automatically vary PS in a set range. The Resmed VPAP auto has min EPAP, max IPAP and single PS. None of these can perform the fixed EPAP trick while varying IPAP. The ASV machines are capable of fixed EPAP with variable IPAP and PS.

As far as what purpose there might be in the capability to fix EPAP and vary IPAP, the machines it is used in (ASV) speaks for itself. Variable EPAP is desireable in an auto ASV to treat the obstructive component of complex apnea; however someone treating straight central might benefit from a fixed EPAP with the variable IPAP being to induce breathing. The advancement of ASV was really the variable EPAP capability, so this was apparently thought to be more valuable than a fixed value. What surprises me is how few doctors ever prescribe auto ASV vs fixed, which is the older technology.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,086 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 115 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 241 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 141 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 517 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 244 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 141 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.