Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue
Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue
This is not a thread I will post any personal OSCAR findings on.  It's more for discussion.  In my short time here, the one theme that is apparent is most who use CPAP/BPAP with great AHIs are always posting (including me) that they feel like crap still. It makes me think back to the new sleep doc I saw making a comment some may have permanent damage that is irreversible.  I assume the doctor was referring to brain damage from prolonged hypoxia when untreated for months, years, etc.  I'm starting to wonder if this is true. AHIs of .5/hr seem to mean little when it comes to energy and that just seems counter-intuitive.  Starting to wonder if it's already too late to address sleep apnea by the time most of us take action. It's kind of a scary thought.  It's like we're always chasing a dream.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue
I honestly don't know with any conviction if this is true or not. I expect many variables are at play as well:

The age of an individual will make a big difference, if you're not young, aches and pains are part of life, even if you sleep well.

Apnea treatment on its own, won't cover up an unhealthy lifestyle. You may be sleeping, but if obese, eating a bad diet (high sugar, junk carbs), drinking too much, drugging, you're going to still feel bad still.

The other thing I would add. A lot of people just feel burned out right now and have done since the pandemic. I know a lot of folks who swear they have not felt themselves for the past few years due to the craziness playing out which impacts our mental health. Poor mental health and depression are also going to a general feeling of fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue
I have been wondering about things that may play a role, for example thiamine deficiency. The book about Thiamine Deficiency by Lonsdale and Mars has some eye-opening points. The book is pretty expensive on Amazon, it can be read it via Scribd dot com.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 36 6 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 76 7 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 180 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,381 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 4 393 01-27-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,109 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.