Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapeutic massage ?
(07-16-2017, 09:36 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 12:02 AM)ajack Wrote: You aren't T2 as well by any chance?
but either way a change of diet may help
https://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1...3ZYhSQ88ao

No, not T2 but T1 and that's another different ball game in itself.  In the past I haven't always made the best food choices but recently chose to be more careful.  I've loosely followed LCHF for the past year, but after a recent insulin pump download I realize that 'loosely' is not getting the job done.  Trying harder now and have lost a few pounds, but have a long way to go.  Thank you for the link as it gives me a lot of reading and I feel knowledge is good for me.

untethered basal insulin has helped some stabilize the BG, you use a basal insulin for 75% and the pump for 25% and all bolus. It's also enough not to go into DKA range, if you get a bad set.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clin...thered.htm

even though you are on a pump, If you don't have it, I'd get bernstein's book diabetes solution from the library. 
he also has a free youtube channel. find it by entering 'bernstein diabetes' into youtube search bar. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

With lchf/keto or whatever else you want to call a diet with under 50g of carbs a day. you may need to split bolus for up to 50% of the protein grams, for a rise about 2-3 hours in.  but it's easy with a pump

What diabetes forums do you use? tudiabetes, diabetesdaily and diabetes.co.uk I find are 3 of the better ones.
new user http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
From machine or sleepyhead, set the min CPAP 1cm below median pressure. Or 2cm below 90/95%. max at 20cm for now. Forum will help you fine tune settings
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 06:29 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 05:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 11:19 PM)chill Wrote: Just don't expect a therapeutic massage to be a relaxing time.  I've had a few that I would have told any secret to get them to stop.  It was, however, effective.

Oh heck yeah. Find a knot and they press into it to get it to break up.

Hammer  ???  So I guess it feels like this?
Nope. That's how a migraine feels.

When a massage therapist who knows what they are doing is pressing into a knot (or a trigger point) the pressure is constant and deep.  It can be painful, in a good kind of way.  But when the knot begins to relax, that's when the pain starts to disappear and THAT can be very, very relaxing.

I've been getting therapeutic massages now for about a year and a half.  In my case they are for dealing with trigger points (tight muscle knots) that trigger tension headaches as well as some referred pain.  And I love my massage therapist.  We talk a lot while she's working on my knots---she appreciates the feedback about what feels good, what doesn't, when she's almost, but not quite on the center of the knot, and most importantly (but quite rarely) when the deep massage stuff she's doing is causing too much pain so that she knows when she needs to back off.  She's told me that it is critical for the client to let the massage therapist know what's going on in terms of pain and to be up front about when something is hurting too much; she's also said that a lot of people just are too shy to do that until the very end of the massage, when they say that they're in pain instead of feeling better.

She's also now working on loosening up a very tight shoulder. I get a massage every two weeks, and we alternate between whole body and mainly left shoulder.  By the end of each massage, I do feel very relaxed and in significantly less pain that before the massage started---even when I didn't think I was in any pain before the massage started.  She's that good at locating the trigger points and tight muscles that are creating low grade aches all over my body and getting them rubbed out.

At the very first massage with a particular therapist, it's important to spend some time talking about why you are there and what you want/expect/need out of the massage. A good massage therapist should be able to explain (in layman terms) what kinds of things s/he thinks will help you get where you want to be.  There are a lot of different techniques that can be used and combined depending on what your individual problems are.  

And once the massage starts, it's important to talk to the therapist about how you're feeling. If something feels really great, let the therapist know.  If something is getting too painful, let them know so they can back off a bit. If the heat packs are too hot, let them know and they can put more covers between your skin and the hot packs.
Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 07:34 PM)ajack Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 09:36 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 12:02 AM)ajack Wrote: You aren't T2 as well by any chance?
but either way a change of diet may help
https://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=1C1...3ZYhSQ88ao

No, not T2 but T1 and that's another different ball game in itself.  In the past I haven't always made the best food choices but recently chose to be more careful.  I've loosely followed LCHF for the past year, but after a recent insulin pump download I realize that 'loosely' is not getting the job done.  Trying harder now and have lost a few pounds, but have a long way to go.  Thank you for the link as it gives me a lot of reading and I feel knowledge is good for me.

untethered basal insulin has helped some stabilize the BG, you use a basal insulin for 75% and the pump for 25% and all bolus. It's also enough not to go into DKA range, if you get a bad set.
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clin...thered.htm

even though you are on a pump, If you don't have it, I'd get bernstein's book diabetes solution from the library. 
he also has a free youtube channel. find it by entering 'bernstein diabetes' into youtube search bar. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

With lchf/keto or whatever else you want to call a diet with under 50g of carbs a day. you may need to split bolus for up to 50% of the protein grams, for a rise about 2-3 hours in.  but it's easy with a pump

What diabetes forums do you use? tudiabetes, diabetesdaily and diabetes.co.uk I find are 3 of the better ones.

I've had Dr. Bernstein's book for several years and also listened to a number of his youtube videos.  Also I've been following LCHF for several years.  After using MDI for 3 years, I love my pump and really have no intention at this point of being un-tethered.  Is it a lot of work?  Yes, but in my opinion it is a fair trade off for not having to do MDI every day.

These are the forums I visit in addition to the ones you've mentioned above.
https://www.diabetic.pub/forum/
http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_...1nd5o6&
diabetesforums.com
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-16-2017, 05:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 11:19 PM)chill Wrote: Just don't expect a therapeutic massage to be a relaxing time.  I've had a few that I would have told any secret to get them to stop.  It was, however, effective.

Oh heck yeah. Find a knot and they press into it to get it to break up.

At least you folks warned me.  The therapist found at least two knots I wasn't even aware of - it did hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Robysue said, it shouldn't hurt too bad but it depends on what the knot is. Muscle knots are one thing. Scar tissue or knots made of that fluid I can't remember the name of, breaking them up is the only way to get rid of them. One of the most painful series of PT sessions I've ever had was when they needed to break up knots on a shoulder tendon. It had to be done and they warned me but, still, ouch.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2017, 11:26 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Like Robysue said, it shouldn't hurt too bad but it depends on what the knot is. Muscle knots are one thing. Scar tissue or knots made of that fluid I can't remember the name of, breaking them up is the only way to get rid of them. One of the most painful series of PT sessions I've ever had was when they needed to break up knots on a shoulder tendon. It had to be done and they warned me but, still, ouch.

Paula,

Does it depend on the individual if the 'improvement' brought on by the massage therapy is lasting or for several days only?
Since I have lymphedema, I suspect that some of the knots the therapist found might be lymphatic fluid and have no idea if they are supposed to hurt a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply