Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy Questions, EPR, CA, Low O2
RE: EPR question
(08-13-2019, 10:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your Autoset is only capable of 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale (IPAP/EPAP).  That is the EPR setting.  The IPAP (inhale) pressure range is 8 to 12, which results in pressures of 8/5 to 12/9.  So EPR reduces pressure.  I have never felt like bilevel pressure "pumps up my chest" however, it does part of the work of inspiration, and that is why it helps with flow limitation.

With an auto bilevel you could increase the pressure difference to 8/4 to 11/7 or something like that.  The pressures would actually be lower, but with more pressure support to make breathing easier.

Okay.  So with a BiLevel, there still is EPR, but may not be called that but is determined by the difference between the IPap and EPap settings?  Since I am sensitive to EPR, would a BiLevel be worse, or would it be something to just get accustomed to for the benefit provided?  (Sorry for all the questions!)
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
What is C Flex for Resmed AirSense A10?
Hi.  Finally got the results today from my new sleep test.  Recommendation was:  CPAP therapy with CFLEX at 6cm/H20 with 2Lpm O2.  Since I knew my prescription would be 6cm, I had already changed my setting from first sleep study setting of fixed 7cm to 6.2cm with no EPR.  I am going to lower the setting down to just 6cm but want to know since my AirSense for Her machine doesn’t have a Flex setting, if I should use EPR?  Maybe at 1??  BTW, the optimized setting the forum provided in June of 8 min/12 max, EPR of 3, I believe, just did not work for me.  I am one of those people who has a low AHI (it was 0.3 last night) who finds a low fixed pressure much more comfortable than higher BiLevel settings.  During the test, my O2 level was less than 85% for 12.6 minutes, hence new prescription for O2 therapy.  Anyway, should I use my EPR setting, and if so, at what level (1, 2, or 3).  Maybe I can tolerate EPR at the low 6cm setting.  Thanks much!
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is C Flex for Resmed AirSense A10?
Please post your Sleep Studies, both your diagnostic study and your titration study, the full copy with the charts and tables.  
I would suggest setting EPR = 2, Fulltime to best match with flex which is most typically about 2.  Then evaluate the results with OSCAR and adjust as appropriate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2019, 10:24 PM)bonjour Wrote: Please post your Sleep Studies, both your diagnostic study and your titration study, the full copy with the charts and tables.  
I would suggest setting EPR = 2, Fulltime to best match with flex which is most typically about 2.  Then evaluate the results with OSCAR and adjust as appropriate.

Thanks, bonjour, I plan on doing that, even though the test results came from a scanned copy and is not the best quality.  Will try EPR at 2 and will post 6cm charts both with and without the EPR so we can compare the difference. 
Thanks
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Kingskid, CFLEX is a proprietary name for Philips Respiroics brand exhale pressure relief used with their fixed continuous CPAP. It works differently than EPR on a Resmed machine, however a CFLEX setting of 2 will provide up to 2-cm of flow dependent pressure relief, and is most closely equivalent to EPR at 2 using a Resmed machine.

Your doctor has prescribed fixed CPAP pressure, which can be met by using your machine in CPAP mode, or in any Autoset mode with the same minimum and maximum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(09-04-2019, 10:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Kingskid, CFLEX is a proprietary name for Philips Respiroics brand exhale pressure relief used with their fixed continuous CPAP.  It works differently than EPR on a Resmed machine, however a CFLEX setting of 2 will provide up to 2-cm of flow dependent pressure relief, and is most closely equivalent to EPR at 2 using a Resmed machine.

Your doctor has prescribed fixed CPAP pressure, which can be met by using your machine in CPAP mode, or in any Autoset mode with the same minimum and maximum pressure.

Hi Sleeprider.  I have been in CPAP mode for some time now as that works best.  Changed from previous setting of 7 to 6cm and tonight will be my first night at 6 cm with EPR of 2.  Kind of excited about it....!
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my sleep test results from Aug 14 2019.  There are 8 pages, so I may have to do this in two separate posts....we'll see.

[attachment=15180][attachment=15176][attachment=15177][attachment=15178][attachment=15179]
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully, pages 6, 7, and 8 of sleep test will post here...

[attachment=15181][attachment=15182][attachment=15183]
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
P.S.  Any comments re my sleep test results are appreciated.  I will post my 6cm charts without EPR and with EPR of 2 after tonight.
Thanks
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, without much doubt, you achieve efficacy from apnea, rera snore and other obstructive events at relatively low pressure of 5 or 6. This was an extremely limited CPAP titration test that did not attempt to resolve your oxygen or flow limitation issues, which would have required bilevel therapy. Your results posted here have never had high AHI, but you have a lot of flow limitations, which were not really considered in this titration. With 2-L/min of supplemental oxygen, your SpO2 stayed above 90%. I don't think that is anything to celebrate, but I suspect that either low pressure or flow limitation is what suppresses oxygen.

Basically, your titration did not evaluate flow limitation or the potential value of bilevel therapy, and instead is going to use supplemental oxygen to provide the therapy and maintain oxygen saturation. I would have far rather see a test that progressed to bilevel to see if flow limitation could be resolved and oxygen improved, but I'm just a forum moderator, not a test designer. I hope you have improved comfort, but it seems to come thanks to supplemental oxygen, rather than a positive pressure regimen that solves the root problem of UARS. What a waste of time! Welcome to the world of toting around an oxygen concentrator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 75 1,380 Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 155 Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 75 1,571 Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 2 78 04-21-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 119 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 288 04-19-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 448 04-19-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.