Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New user
RE: New user
May I expand a bit on Domeo's post above. "Treatment emergent CA" is mentioned, and you may wonder what that means. When a person first goes on PAP therapy, the body breathes more efficiently, and thus gets rid of more carbon dioxide. The level of CO2 in the blood is what causes the brain to send the 'breathe now" signal to the lungs. When the body exhales more CO2, the CO2 level does not rise sufficiently to trigger the breathing signal; 10 seconds go by without no breathing signal yet the airway is not blocked -- this is the definition of a Central Apnea. Since the centrals can appear when a person first goes on PAP therapy, they are known as "treatment emergent." Treatment-emergent CAs often go away spontaneously after 2-3 months, as the body adjusts to PAP therapy.

In your case, you had some centrals in your sleep study, so they may NOT be pre-existing not treatment-emergent. If it were me, i would give it a couple months and see what happens. Many people have a few centrals here and there -- and it is no big deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Switched to dreamwear nasal cushion and mouth tape for the last three days.

AHI drops significantly. Can it be true? or is it too good? Is it possible that events are not detected with nasal mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
It's true! You've licked the leak problem, your new settings are doing a better job of preventing obstructive events, and either you're having fewer arousals + CAs or your body is adjusting to the PAP effects on CO2. Keep on keepin' on, then please come back and let us know how it's going. There may be an opportunity to fine-tune once you've used these settings for a while.

Have you tried the collar yet?
Post Reply Post Reply
Haven't tried the collar yet because it is difficult to fall asleep with all changes(mouth tape, new mask, etc). Will try again after some time.

Skin under nose was sore from new mask, so I switched back for full face mask for one day. Again get a lot of CA events. Is it possible to get such different results with nasal mask and full face mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the mask-change is unlikely to be the culprit. CAs are what we might call "consistently inconsistent." Especially where CAs are concerned, it's good to wait for a while before trying to draw conclusions.

I'm curious: do you see any correlation between your data, on the one hand, and how you feel the next day, on the other?
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for getting back to me.
don't see much difference between how I feel next day with different AHI during the night before. To be honest, don't feel much difference with the time before CPAP treatment.
May be I need more time to see improvement.
Will keep the same settings for a couple of weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's common to need time to see improvement, so hang in there and keep in touch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Continue to use the same settings: pressure min=6, max=12, pressure relief=2. still was not able to use collar.

last three days data

should I change anything?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.