Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Therapy Tweaks] Dad's Turn
[Therapy Tweaks] Dad's Turn
Ok, finally got dad into the sleep doctor. Turns out he has moderate sleep apnea and has a deviated septum as well.

The ENT suggested he utilize cpap and forgo treatment for the deviated septum as he's likely had it for years.

His pre-therapy numbers were 29 AHI with some central, hypnea, oa and even a bit of restless leg.

The tritation study recommend an APAP with 8-20 for the pressure. He was given a dreamstation set that way. He's using a wisp for a mask. His current challenge is that he's waking up in the middle of the night and can't breath through his nose. Under normal circumstances he can't really only breath through one nostril.

I have recommended he adjust the humidity/heat because I know from my experience as a user that cpap unclogs my nose.

He has a full santa beard and may need a full face mask (because of the deviated septum). He's not keen on the idea. He's happy with the wisp though and did like the dreamwear mask which was used in the studies. So far compliance and hours of use are good.

His numbers are staying on the higher side but are consistent. I'm at a loss in his case on how to improve these numbers.

Open to suggestions?

Here is a link to some charts:

https://imgur.com/a/LEtyn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Therapy Tweaks] Dad's Turn
How long has he been on it?

My suggestion is to talk him into a full face mask. He's going to be more comfortable with that. It is possible to use one with a beard.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you bumped the minimum pressure to 10cm you'd see most of those events disappear.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, officially bumped.. Smile I'll work on the full face mask.. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dracus,
I didn't think I could ever get used to a full-face mask. I thought it would be chlostrophobic for me; and while it was at first, after a while, I just got used to it. I also wasn't sure I could talk with air coming at me, but with little practice, I was able to overcome that fear.
I wish you much success with helping your dad through his CPAP therapy, and keep up posted on his progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have a deviated septumbas well as other blockages in the sinuses. A nasal solution was never an option.

Humidity cannot overcome a structural issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wishing he had gotten the Resmed Autoset. Post some charts. We can do a lot more from the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too sleep rider. Apparently, they get to bill for both the cpap and separate humidifier which is why Dme sells the inferior dreamstation.

Charts posted in first post. Link goes to 3/4 charts on imurgr.

I've upped minimum pressure to 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't go the min above the 95% number 10, unless there is a reason. 9 may have been okay and give it some time to settle down. I can't see a Santa beard working with a FFM and it looks like the D/septum and mouth breathing may be giving some trouble. If the nose is still a problem in a few weeks, I'd tell him to suck it up and get an electric razor
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Dracus, have you considered outfitting him with a P10 instead of the Wisp? As you know, the pressure is applied in a way that can nullify a deviated septum. Since you're a P10 user, it should be pretty easy to lay your hands on an extra mask.

FWIW, a titration of 8-20 seems like a guess, not a titration. Get the study. Finally, your dad would do great on a BiPAP Auto. His problem is far more to do with hypopnea than OA. That problem responds to pressure support like a dream. I think with a starting EPAP pressure of 8 to 12 and PS of 3 to 5 cm, his results would be amazing at much increased level of comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 21 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 61 2,257 Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Therapy using Lumis 150 ST StuartC 135 7,148 Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 4 82 03-17-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,291 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 13 699 03-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: marcinpiskala
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 3 159 03-15-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SleepyLlama

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.