Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy for LPR, OSA, and… UARS?
RE: Therapy for LPR, OSA, and… UARS?
I think our standard time window if it's more or less defined as treatment emergent is 3 months PAP use. Some we'll know before then, especially telling is if there's CA on a diagnostic sleep study. In that scenario, CA are pre-existing and not treatment emergent. Sometimes these 2 types respond similarly to pressure swings or lack of them. We may attempt editing settings to see what happens on OSCAR and how you feel. Noting these result inputs then you need to decide if it had gotten good enough on therapy or if it's not responding. There's a 3rd CA type that's a catch-all, idiopathic.

I'd start this ASAP, make a notebook of symptoms and complaints regarding therapy in general and specific on CA. You'll want to present this to doc if in fact you need to get an ASV.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Wow, noted. The idea of having even 23 centrals in a 5 hr night (last night's improved result) for three months is pretty scary to me. And I have a 60 day window to return the machine if it's wrong. This could prove to be an expensive year. But I need to get healthy, so I'll be patient -- I'm only 2 days in.

I had only a handful of centrals on my WatchPAT. I suppose it's possible that the obstructives were miscategorized, or, perhaps more likely, that the RDIs were central. I did get the raw WatchPAT data, perhaps there is some way I can figure that out.

I've done as you instructed and started a sleep journal for the time being!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I'm fairly certain we can make a determination of how your CA are being treated or not before that 60 days expiries so you should be able to do something.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave! It truly is such a relief to not be alone in this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Some fun oximetry observations.

1) I'm sure that this has been pointed out before, but look at the correlation between heart rate spikes, movement sensor spikes, and flow rate disruption between the O2 Ring and the Vauto! There's some latency between the O2 Ring and the Vauto, and who knows which is off-clock, but when zoomed out it really starts to line up.

2) Seeing the role of my heart in this run of 60 second+ CAs from the first night is quite interesting too. Which is to say, aside from the moments of labored breathing and hypopnea -- it's not doing much! I consistently have 30 bpm spikes through the night and this makes me think they aren't due to CA? Though they may be due to related events. Data is so cool. Someday we're gonna be able to pull up OSCAR and look at everything that's happening, and maybe even figure it out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. Keep trying it so you have attempts at the therapy. Don't quit until it becomes unbearable. Probably you'll need to clue doc in soon that you're running into CA trouble. You may need to consider finding out if this doc will support treating CA or if there's CA blindness. If the latter you'll need a new doc.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a rough night last night. I woke up often and laid awake too long for the data to be legible. That being said, I think I made some real progress at tolerating the higher trigger setting! I'll be back with more charts soon.

In the meantime, there are two flow rate interpretation mysteries this beginner is trying to solve. 

1) What makes this 60 second (!!) OA from last night an OA? There doesn't seem to be any flow limitation or much waveform distortion as far as I can tell. Could it be it's a CA that's been mislabeled? 

2) On the other hand, with this cluster of CAs, we see that there is a mask leak with flow limitation, leading to increased tidal volume, followed by a ton of labored breathing before recovery. In terms of airway patency this seems worse than the OA? Or is it just that the mask leak leads to increased pressure which tips the apneic threshold and sends things spiralling out of control.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with wife's therapy GuyScharf 6 182 02-22-2021, 07:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bipap Titration for Preliminary UARS Diagnosis marasmus 1 71 02-21-2021, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user! (UARS). Need serious help please! Data included, much appreciated CentralApneaUser909 55 1,023 02-21-2021, 07:13 AM
Last Post: slowriter
  low AHI, poor sleep, UARS/mild OSA JEDP 8 214 02-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Dapal's Therapy Thread. dapal 124 3,576 02-06-2021, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Went ahead and bought a BiPAP. Why is it better for UARS? CentralApneaUser909 6 232 02-04-2021, 09:52 PM
Last Post: CentralApneaUser909
  Optimizing UARS Therapy From ASV to Vauto UARS.DDS 17 519 01-31-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: UARS.DDS

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.