Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy for LPR, OSA, and… UARS?
RE: Therapy for LPR, OSA, and… UARS?
Talked to my sleep doc / ENT today about my ear problems and he said to try Sudafed before bed but if that didn't work there wasn't much that could be done for me and I would fail PAP therapy. He said what I'm dealing with is unusual but he's seen it a fair bit.

Here's the problem I'm having: intermittently while trying to fall asleep, my ears will pop and unpop. Sometimes I will feel air pressure build up and press on my Eustachian tubes, sort of the same way that I feel it build up in my mouth sometimes.

I thought I could tolerate this weird discomfort, but five days ago, when I woke up, my left ear was ringing. It was louder than the air purifier in my room, and then it rang all day long. This continued each morning for the next three days.

Two days ago I got desperate and read all the threads on here about ear trouble. I tried a lot of things (only swallowing after exhale, neti pot w saline twice a day, Xlear spray, not drinking water before bed, mucinex, chewing gum all day) and when I woke up, both my ears were ringing instead of just my left, but a little quieter. I decided to stay the course and even used Afrin last night, but I experienced the same ear discomfort while going to sleep, and this morning both ears were ringing like bells.

I suspect either my eustachian tubes are too open or too closed. I've had problems with my ears in the past because of LPR. But my pressure is so low, I don't get why it's an issue.

I work with sound and I can't risk hearing loss. I feel pretty stupid because I bought my machine outright and I spent so many sleepless night the past two weeks self-titrating the centrals away. And bless them - the experts here helped me fine tune my settings to near perfection already! I really enjoy what PAP has done for me, even on only 4 hours a night (clearer thinking, no all day bodily stress response). The doc's already talking about a MAD, but I know that a MAD won't treat me nearly as well (plus TMJ/bite stuff) and surgery is spotty at best.

Is there anything else I can try for this while I do the Sudafed run?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried Flonase?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used it the first couple nights I started PAP. Could try it again. I don't have any allergies to my knowledge (had a full workup done when I was trying to figure out what ultimately proved to be OSA/UARS).
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found Flonase (fluticasone propionate) to be effective in reducing inflammation form any source and to keep the airway open. It's certainly preferable to Sudafed. Follow directions. I can take time to develop the desired response of congestion and inflammation. Give it a try for at least 2-weeks before deciding.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 930 4 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.