Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
RE: Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
[quote='retired_guy' pid='79138' dateline='1407730764']
Yes, I would like it if everyone had a nice S9 Autoset or equivalent, and knew how to use it.

Hi, I have a question on the above. I'm pretty new to treatment (been using since trial started early May this year). I had a respironics unit I hated for two weeks on trail then switched to the Autoset S9 for remainder of the trial. I purchased an Autoset S9 online after my trail finished.

My question is what do you mean "... and knew how to use it."

I've seen the reports from both machines from the tech. The respironics machine report was much more detailed than the S9 report. It showed a timeline of events, pressures, leaks, etc... The S9 report is a basic compliance report and a summary of pressures.

I have got the link for ResScan just the other day but haven't installed it yet (and won't likely have time for a month due to vacation etc!).

I check my compliance hours on the S9 in the mornings (as I still struggle to keep it on some nights) and my AHI is well below 5, leakage is happy face. My sleep doc has my range set pretty well it seems. The challenge is usage and continued poor sleep but I don't think it is knowing how to use the machine.

I don't mean to come across like I'm challenging the statement. I just want to ensure I'm as knowledgeable as I can we with my treatment.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 04:19 PM)robsimpson Wrote: I've seen the reports from both machines from the tech. The respironics machine report was much more detailed than the S9 report. It showed a timeline of events, pressures, leaks, etc... The S9 report is a basic compliance report and a summary of pressures.
The S9 AutoSet report more detailed information on the screen than PRS1 machine

The S9 have two sleep reports menu, "standard info menu" (press the info button for 3 sec) display usage, AHI, and mask fit face
Advanced info menu (press and hold both silver buttons for 3 sec)
display usage, AHI, 95% pressure, 95% unintentional leak, AHI, total AI, Central AI

[Image: s9-pic2.jpg]

S9 setup video and pictures http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
All explained in the clinical manual, available via email, scroll to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so great information, great help, I am beginning my quest for a better unit.

I started with the advice so far which was; (seems everyone agrees);

1) S9 AutoSet (NOT Escape Auto), PRS1 Auto.
2) S9 Elite, PRS1 Pro.

So I looked on CL and at Supplier #2. Now I know the people on CL are not the greatest at advertising beyond saying "cpap machine" so of course I have to message each and say "Hey can you tell me the model number?" etc. But when I went to Supplier #2 website I was honestly astounded at how many of these machines there are, it's worse than car shopping, or coffee maker buying. I don't see any that just say anything like S9 Autoset or PRS1 Pro, there are all other names like aflex cflex, and apap, vpap, I mean really I feel like the challenged child. So I hate to ask an obviously stupid question (and I'm sure that puppy guy will be here soon to point a puppy at me) but I have to ask. Is there a specific machine and model number I should be looking for or what? Or how do I identify the two machines above if not by a model number? I feel as if I am missing something.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cut and pasted this directly from Supplier #2's website:

Gently Used ResMed S9 AutoSet and Accessories $479
Gently Used ResMed S9 Elite and Accessories $369

I also saw this one (yes it has more complicated descriptors, but I'm pretty sure this is the Respironics equivalent to the ResMed S9 AutoSet):

Gently Used Respironics System One DS550HS Auto CPAP $439
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 07:39 PM)NickDanger Wrote: I cut and pasted this directly from Supplier #2's website:

Gently Used ResMed S9 AutoSet and Accessories $479
Gently Used ResMed S9 Elite and Accessories $369

I also saw this one (yes it has more complicated descriptors, but I'm pretty sure this is the Respironics equivalent to the ResMed S9 AutoSet):

Gently Used Respironics System One DS550HS Auto CPAP $439

Thank you, I looked at that, and there are things after them, I mean if you just search the page for Resmed S9 there are quite a few, but after them there is other information like; Autoset and Auto with EPR with ER, and other things, beyond the humidifier which I get, so are you saying none of that matters? Just look for the S9 Autoset and or Elite and ignore the rest? Apologies if my initial question didn't clarify.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: PR-model.jpg]
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

Supplier #1: PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex $595.00
NOTE: the Heated Humidifier is included in the price of this machine

and

[Image: HERO_ResMedDrop2013D.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 07:52 PM)Galactus Wrote: Thank you, I looked at that, and there are things after them, I mean if you just search the page for Resmed S9 there are quite a few, but after them there is other information like; Autoset and Auto with EPR with ER, and other things, beyond the humidifier which I get, so are you saying none of that matters? Just look for the S9 Autoset and or Elite and ignore the rest? Apologies if my initial question didn't clarify.

Some of the stuff does matter. I just happen to know the two ResMed's I linked are the ResMed's you are looking for and I recognized the 550 model number for the Respironics as one of the two of those you are considering.

All ResMed S9's have EPR, so ignore that part. Don't get a ResMed S8 of any stripe unless you desperately need to save the money: those are now 2 releases out of date. So on the page with their current stock (the earlier quotes were from their homepage and didn't include the humidifier), the ones you may be interested in are:

Gently Used ResMed S9 AutoSet with EPR with Heated Humidifier for $529

Gently Used ResMed S9 Elite with EPR with Heated Humidifier for $459

Gently Used DS560 REMstar Auto AFLEX Machine without Heated Humidifier for $369 (costs an extra $70 for the humidifier)

Gently Used DS460 REMstar Pro CFLEX Machine without Heated Humidifier for $289 (costs an extra $70 for the humidifier)

They also have the DS450 and the DS550 for similar prices, but I think those are older machines.

By the way, you can see that the premium for buying ResMed is about $100. I use ResMed because that's what I started with. The Respironics machines are highly spoken of by the people who use them. If you've been happy with the Respironics you've been using, then I think you might as well save that $100. You might even be able to use your old humidifier - check with the supplier about that. If your old machine was a "60" series and you decide to stay with Respironics you should be able to use your existing humidifier. If your old machine was a "50" series, it may be worth it to get the 450 or 550 to avoid buying a new humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 07:52 PM)Galactus Wrote: Thank you, I looked at that, and there are things after them, I mean if you just search the page for Resmed S9 there are quite a few, but after them there is other information like; Autoset and Auto with EPR with ER, and other things, beyond the humidifier which I get, so are you saying none of that matters? Just look for the S9 Autoset and or Elite and ignore the rest? Apologies if my initial question didn't clarify.

Find yourself an Autoset. If you shop around enough you'll probably do about as well on the Autoset as you would an Elite. So given the additional capability, go for the Autoset.

Have you checked Craigslist?

That's where I'll be heading to find my next machine. There are a ton of the out there that have almost no usage because some guy got them, tried it once or twice, didn't like it and put it in the closet.

Check hours, non-smoker, that sort of stuff of course. Take his kitty hostage as a guarantee against unit failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 04:19 PM)robsimpson Wrote: My question is what do you mean "... and knew how to use it."

I've seen the reports from both machines from the tech. The respironics machine report was much more detailed than the S9 report. It showed a timeline of events, pressures, leaks, etc... The S9 report is a basic compliance report and a summary of pressures.

I think he means the S9 Autoset report has all the information you listed above if you load the appropriate software (ResScan or SleepyHead) and view the detailed graphs. The tech was definitely not showing you the detailed results from the S9 Autoset.

I think another part of what he meant is that many DMEs and sleep doctors leave the autoset "wide open" with 4 min and 20 max. Most people find that range doesn't work as well as a narrower range.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 09:34 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Have you checked Craigslist?

That's where I'll be heading to find my next machine. There are a ton of the out there that have almost no usage because some guy got them, tried it once or twice, didn't like it and put it in the closet.

Check hours, non-smoker, that sort of stuff of course. Take his kitty hostage as a guarantee against unit failure.
The problem with Craigslist, there is no warranty or if the machine not used by a smoker
Prices are cheap, most of the machines properly comes out from the back door of some DME
Still illegal in US to buy machine without a script but they might find some loophole

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 152 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.