Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
RE: Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
(08-17-2014, 12:06 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(08-16-2014, 04:42 PM)vsheline Wrote: Take out the water tank and turn over your machine to see whether the REF# is for a 50 series or a 60 series machine. Since your machine is new, it should be a DS260 with the humidifier which allows a heated hose (the 50 series machines and humidifiers do not allow heated hose to be used and rain-out would be a potential problem in the winter).

Hi Galactus,

I think you would want to know whether your existing humidifier is for a series 50 or series 60 machine. If it supports the heated hose option then it is for the 60 series machines.

I do not know if a 60 series humidifier can be used on a 50 series machine, or if a 50 series humidifier can be used with a 60 series machine.

My bad for not mentioning, 60 series heated hose support.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 12:09 AM)Galactus Wrote: 60 series heated hose support.

Judging from the info on Supplier #1 website, I think this is compatible only with 60 series machines.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 02:29 PM)Galactus Wrote: So that makes it a bit harder as I have to keep messaging and saying; Hey can you tell me the model number. But beyond that there is a wide selection of them out there it seems.

You may have more luck saying "send me a close up picture of the top of the machine and the label on the back or bottom."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 11:24 PM)Galactus Wrote: I messaged for the number, he has a single picture that looks like this (his says Bipap Auto though not Pro2);
Yes, will definitely check and he claims no hours as new etc., but agreed must test. Trust but verify!

[Image: respironics_bipap_AutoSV_1063372.JPG]

That's what we call the "Legacy" Respironics models. There have been two complete redesigns since then. It's probably at least 8 years old. The newer machines have many improvements, particularly in the software and data collection. That one uses a smartcard, not a SD card, needs a special smartcard reader, and won't work with SleepyHead.

It's not Philips Respioronics, it's "Respironics" from before Philips bought out Respironics.

i.e. the seller is a scam artist.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it thank you both. So basically when I see pictures I am looking for one of these two;

[Image: System-One3.jpg]

[Image: S9+AutoSet™+with+H5i™_36015.jpg]

Is this also an older one as I have seen it frequently and am just wondering, though from what you said I am going to guess it is the unit between the first one I pictured in the original post and the current model I have pictured;

[Image: 5985AC3D025E6D45B73D5676614BE74799B5AC64.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 12:16 PM)Galactus Wrote: Is this also an older one as I have seen it frequently and am just wondering, though from what you said I am going to guess it is the unit between the first one I pictured in the original post and the current model I have pictured;

Looks like an old "M Series" machine.

Pictures for many machines:

http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ur-machine

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 12:16 PM)Galactus Wrote: Got it thank you both. So basically when I see pictures I am looking for one of these two;

[Image: System-One3.jpg]

That's a PRS1 50 series machine. The 60 series have a slightly different color on the faceplace around the display, but look basically the same.

There is very little difference between the 50 and 60, other than that the 60 can use the optional heated hose, if you have the correct version of the humidifier. Either one is good.

Quote:Is this also an older one as I have seen it frequently and am just wondering, though from what you said I am going to guess it is the unit between the first one I pictured in the original post and the current model I have pictured;

[Image: 5985AC3D025E6D45B73D5676614BE74799B5AC64.jpg]

Respironics M series. Good machines, but the PRS1 machines are much improved. Skip the M series unless you can't afford the PRS1 or S9.

Even some "honest" people will use a "stock" photo instead of a picture of their own unit. If the picture looks professional like this on a CL ad, double check. The sellers often just google a picture of something like "Philips Respironics CPAP" and post a picture of a machine that's similar. The picture may say "REMstar Auto," but it's actually a "REMstar Plus." You can sort of tell the ones that are laid out on someone's bed.

Even some of the online CPAP sellers occasionally put the wrong picture up on their web site. If you zoom in really close, you may find that their ad for the PRS1 Pro is actually a picture of a PRS1 Auto if you read the text. Other than the text, it looks the same, so I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one.

If there's any doubt, ask them to send you a picture of the labels.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok then it's those two units or nothing. PAP or Bust here we go, lol. Off to the battle I shall go!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all, How's this; Phillips Respironics BiPap System One REF 1091398 760P and DS6HFLG Humidifier asking $395. Looks almost very similar to my current machine.

Also found; Phillips Remstar Auto Aflex with Humidifier asking $150 (Trying to get numbers now)

1- Deal or no deal?
2- Is this an APAP unit in the sense that it will detect my breathing and adjust the pressure automatically?
3- I understand in PAP the C=Constant A=Auto And Bi=Bi Level. I get Constant as I have that. I get Auto as it senses and adjusts I believe. But what is this Bi Level? And don't think I was too lazy to read up, I did, I just didn't understand what I read. Mostly because they were saying it was only prescribed for certain conditions and there was much jargin as opposed to the ease of C vs A.

Thanks again to everyone helping me, most appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 01:05 PM)Galactus Wrote: Hey all, How's this; Phillips Respironics BiPap System One REF 1091398 760P and DS6HFLG Humidifier asking $395. Looks almost very similar to my current machine.

Also found; Phillips Remstar Auto Aflex with Humidifier asking $150 (Trying to get numbers now)

1- Deal or no deal?
2- Is this an APAP unit in the sense that it will detect my breathing and adjust the pressure automatically?
3- I understand in PAP the C=Constant A=Auto And Bi=Bi Level. I get Constant as I have that. I get Auto as it senses and adjusts I believe. But what is this Bi Level? And don't think I was too lazy to read up, I did, I just didn't understand what I read. Mostly because they were saying it was only prescribed for certain conditions and there was much jargin as opposed to the ease of C vs A.

Thanks again to everyone helping me, most appreciated.

Hi Galactus,

Using google I found that the 1091398 refers to the power brick, and indicates it is the 60 Watt model, too low power to power a humidifier with heated hose, which needs an 80 Watt brick:
"60 Series System One REMstar 60 Watt Power Supply
Product Code: 1091398"

So the power supply and humidifier don't support a heated hose, but if you like to use the heated hose then you would use your existing humidifier and power brick with the 760 blower unit, and the smaller power brick and humidifier would be a partial backup, allowing humidification but not heated hose.

The 760 is both an auto machine (it adjusts pressure higher to avoid future obstructive events, like the REMSTAR Auto would also do) and a bi-level unit, which means it is able to adjust the inhale pressure (IPAP) higher than the exhale pressure (EPAP), by as much as you like. Most people who try bi-level prefer about 3 or 4 cm H2O pressure drop during exhalation, but some prefer or need more. The REMSTAR Auto would not be able to do this, except A-Flex would allow a little pressure relief during the first part of exhalation. Bi-level pressure relief lasts the whole period between the beginning of exhalation and the beginning of inhalation, but A-Flex or Bi-Flex or C-Flex only last as long as we are strongly exhaling and typically the pressure climbs back up to full pressure approximately half way through the time between the start of exhalation and the start of inhalation. Many find bi-level more comfortable.
In addition to making breathing more comfortable, bi-level also makes breathing easier, which in itself may be more restful.
In addition to bi-level being easier, for many it is actually needed, in order to avoid RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) events, which are arousals from sleep because of the effort of breathing but the event was not scored as a Hypopnea because the associated reduction in Flow was less than the 40% or 50% needed to call it an hypopnea. But sleep is disturbed (an arousal occurred), preventing restful sleep. RERA events are not counted in calculation AHI, which is one reason why people with low AHI may still suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness.

So the DS760 would adjust both EPAP and IPAP independently, to lower both AHI and RERA events.

With your high pressure, I recommend the BiPAP Auto unit rather than the plain REMSTAR Auto unit, even if your investigation were to find the REMSTAR Auto is a System One unit which as full data reporting.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 67 1,235 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 866 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 580 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 187 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 12 371 04-16-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 204 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 484 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.