Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
RE: Therapy numbers, lack of them, weight loss, etc
I'm not sure we've ever gotten a definition from Respironics. I believe Encore just reports both of them as "snore." Mark found out there were two different numbers recorded by the machine, labeled VS and VS2.

My impression is they're sort of lesser indications. Not as clear as an apnea or hypopnea, but an indication of something wrong, and also something that will cause the machine to trigger an increase in pressure.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 10:21 PM)archangle Wrote: I'm not sure we've ever gotten a definition from Respironics. I believe Encore just reports both of them as "snore." Mark found out there were two different numbers recorded by the machine, labeled VS and VS2.

My impression is they're sort of lesser indications. Not as clear as an apnea or hypopnea, but an indication of something wrong, and also something that will cause the machine to trigger an increase in pressure.

Interesting, thanks for the information, much appreciated.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok guys I am now 7 days on Bipap, the final results for the last two days are below.

In my opinion things look ok, so I don't know if there is anything else that I should mess with or just leave it be.

The only thought I have in the back of my head is maybe lowering the EPAP, as it seems to stay solid, and rarely has gone up.

Can anyone else think of anything else I might do or should I let sleeping dogs (and me) lie?

Thanks again guys and gals for all your help!

[Image: 25zjnl1.jpg]

[Image: 24351d3.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good to me. Circle the bed 3 times and lie down and sleep soundly. If you had readings like that when you took your sleep test, they would have sent you home empty handed.

JMHO

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, you're done Galactus. You can stick a fork in it.

Just keep an eye out for any reoccurring goofiness, but basically you look great.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen some of his reoccuring goofiness. Geez...I don't think that's treatable with the machine he has.

Dielaughing

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Galactus,

Great job! Unless you are a certified, dyed in the wool, habitual futzer like R_G, you should just lay back and enjoy.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 07:04 PM)Galactus Wrote: The only thought I have in the back of my head is maybe lowering the EPAP, as it seems to stay solid, and rarely has gone up.

Hi Galactus,

Actually, I do have a suggestion, which would be to leave EPAP at 13 and raise the Min PS to 2, and watch for another week.

Your AHI looks fantastic, but AHI is not everything.

How is your sleepiness versus energy level and mental clarity during the day? Any improvements there?

Some folks have a great AHI but are still fatigued during the day. Sometimes this is because they are having RERA events during the night, which are Respiratory Effort Related Arousals (arousals are disruptive to sleep) but which are not counted in the AHI.

The events which you are still having are obstructive in type (OA, FL, RERA, Snore), and lowering Min EPAP may make these events worse. But after optimizing PS by setting Min PS for the level which makes sleep the most restful for you, then, I suggest trying lower and higher Min EPAP values.

Raising the Min PS would be expected to actually make it easier to breathe in, so you may find your sleep more restful if the Min PS setting is raised to 2 or 3.

The higher PS is, the more the machine is doing the work of breathing for you.

Raising the Min PS setting would be expected to help avoid Flow Limitation and help avoid RERA events. But if it is raised too high you may see your Clear Airway events (Centrals) and Periodic Breathing events go up.

By the way, I am pretty sure that the RERA detection algorithm used by PRS1 machines tends to under report RERAs. The algorithm used by Respironics doesn't score a RERA unless it is pretty obvious that a RERA event occurred, and I suspect maybe only half or less of the true number of RERA events are getting reported.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 07:26 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Looks good to me. Circle the bed 3 times and lie down and sleep soundly. If you had readings like that when you took your sleep test, they would have sent you home empty handed.

JMHO

Thank you for the input!

(09-18-2014, 07:55 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Yep, you're done Galactus. You can stick a fork in it.

Just keep an eye out for any reoccurring goofiness, but basically you look great.

I'm angry at you. You said we would futz around till we broke it. You lied to me. That I can not forgive! Unsure

(09-18-2014, 08:00 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I've seen some of his reoccuring goofiness. Geez...I don't think that's treatable with the machine he has.

Dielaughing

Sleep-well

Excuse me is that recurring or reoccurring? And yes either way it has 2 r's Tongue

(09-18-2014, 08:18 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Galactus,

Great job! Unless you are a certified, dyed in the wool, habitual futzer like R_G, you should just lay back and enjoy.

I'm gonna try with Vsheline down below Big Grin

(09-18-2014, 10:41 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 07:04 PM)Galactus Wrote: The only thought I have in the back of my head is maybe lowering the EPAP, as it seems to stay solid, and rarely has gone up.

Hi Galactus,

Actually, I do have a suggestion, which would be to leave EPAP at 13 and raise the Min PS to 2, and watch for another week.

Your AHI looks fantastic, but AHI is not everything.

How is your sleepiness versus energy level and mental clarity during the day? Any improvements there?

Mrs G says I am less of an Ahole these days.... But I disagree! Seriously I feel a bit tired now but I think it is due to getting less sleep than I need rather than apnea.

(09-18-2014, 10:41 PM)vsheline Wrote: Some folks have a great AHI but are still fatigued during the day. Sometimes this is because they are having RERA events during the night, which are Respiratory Effort Related Arousals (arousals are disruptive to sleep) but which are not counted in the AHI.

The events which you are still having are obstructive in type (OA, FL, RERA, Snore), and lowering Min EPAP may make these events worse. But after optimizing PS by setting Min PS for the level which makes sleep the most restful for you, then, I suggest trying lower and higher Min EPAP values.

Raising the Min PS would be expected to actually make it easier to breathe in, so you may find your sleep more restful if the Min PS setting is raised to 2 or 3.

The higher PS is, the more the machine is doing the work of breathing for you.

Raising the Min PS setting would be expected to help avoid Flow Limitation and help avoid RERA events. But if it is raised too high you may see your Clear Airway events (Centrals) and Periodic Breathing events go up.

By the way, I am pretty sure that the RERA detection algorithm used by PRS1 machines tends to under report RERAs. The algorithm used by Respironics doesn't score a RERA unless it is pretty obvious that a RERA event occurred, and I suspect maybe only half or less of the true number of RERA events are getting reported.

Well Sir I am at this point all in. So we shall raise the PS to 2 tonight and we shall sleep on it and see what we see. Your advice has been pretty damn good so far so I see no reason to start ignoring it now Smile

I'll do that tonight and we shall start another 7 day free trial and see where we get.

Thank you all again, so very much, for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have raised PS to 2, left all the other settings alone. Only issue is I have a cold, and stuffiness, which is making it hard to use the machine. But I am fighting the urge to not use it even though I don't feel well. But my hours are down a bit. On night 1 I actually woke up a few times coughing my head off. Night two, was the first time I ever got 0 as AHI, but I couldn't keep it on much longer with my congestion, and I forgot to put the SD Card back in the machine so I lost some of the data. Been a rough two days and today is not looking much better but I am going to suffer through. I wonder what others do when they are sick.

Here's the data so far;

[Image: 29cl2sp.jpg]

[Image: zl7muh.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,074 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 119 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.