Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

They gave me the wrong machine !!
They gave me the wrong machine !!
So, I go to the VA this afternoon, and at first, before looking at my data, the respiratory tech tells me " it's common to have central apnea for the first few months", and I'm thinking "oh God; here we go". Then she looks at the data, starts saying " hmm, that's not good", then looks at the sleep study and says "oh wow!", then notices that the doctor had put in a STAT order for the Aircurve 10 ST-A, and the traveling tech had given me the Vauto. Boy, they were P*ssed! They called up the medical supply company and told them that they needed to make this right tonight, and sure enough, I was able to stop on my way home and pick up the new machine. Yay!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: They gave me the wrong machine !!
You will really like the st-a, It's a great machine with ivaps, that will give nearly a straight line on your minute ventilation. Who is titrating it with you?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
So we have an error! I remember discussing your titration results and was shocked at the dispensing of the VAuto when the best efficacy was shown with ST-A. That said, my recollection is your best result was an AHI of 6. I think you may still need ASV, but this should be a lot better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There may have been one of the contraindications to exclude the ASV. The ASV is a lot cheaper than the ST-A. It's something that could be talked about at the next appointment.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys! I have some questions. Machine is hyperventilating me!
Post Reply Post Reply
We talked about the drawbacks of the ST machine at some point...it uses the same pressure support with a backup rate all the time. For someone with central apnea, this actually causes you to have more centrals and more reliance on the ST pressure support to cause breaths. Contrast this with the ASV which can use a minimum pressure support of zero and applies pressure support as needed, when needed.

What are your settings? EPAP, IPAP, BPM?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2017, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: We talked about the drawbacks of the ST machine at some point...it uses the same pressure support with a backup rate all the time.  For someone with central apnea, this actually causes you to have more centrals and more reliance on the ST pressure support to cause breaths.  Contrast this with the ASV which can use a minimum pressure support of zero and applies pressure support as needed, when needed.

What are your settings?  EPAP, IPAP, BPM?

Here are the settings: IPAP 15, epap 8, iBR off, backup rate 12 (I dialed it back to 9, but that didn't help much),Timax 2.7s, Ti min 0.3s, rise time min, trigger medium, cycle medium, I set the ramp settings from off, to ramp time 30 min, ramp down on, start epap 5.0, all alarms off except alarm vol test medium, essentials plus, confirm stop and smartstart off, desat rule 3%. I will try to get my script.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 321 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 471 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 574 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is there something obviously wrong with my CPAP use? [pull off mask while asleep] Cpapaya 4 671 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.