Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Theyre trying to rip me off!!
RE: Theyre trying to rip me off!!
Some times I get the Impression that the Sleep Industry in the US is full of operators with the motto "I'll give you every possible assistance - short of actually helping you...."
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go to an online DME and find exactly what you want, print out the description of each item with a picture. Be sure to include the humidifier and the climateline hose.
I would make sure the prescription matches ALL of your selections, so the DME and the insurance company will not be able to argue with YOUR requirements.

I find that if I am crystal clear and complete, no one can argue successfully, afterwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sarah,

Because you have set your heart on the S9 AutoSet, I suggest you call the doctor's office before you leave home, to inform them that you have investigated what the best machines are and you will only accept a prescription for a ResMed S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto!) with heated humidifier and heated hose.

Since your insurance company has already informed you that it will pay for any prescribed machine, there is no legitimate reason for your doctor to refuse to prescribe the S9 AutoSet, since the S9 AutoSet can be set in basic CPAP mode if that is what the doctor wants, or in APAP mode if the doctor is willing to prescribe a range of pressures for you.

If they give you a hard time, perhaps they have some sort of financial arrangement with the DME which rewards them for allowing the DME to disburse the cheapest machines. In my view, giving you any sort of hard time would be very unprofessional of them, just like it was either incompetent or unprofessional of the DME to falsely claim that they had checked your insurance coverage and you must pay them $500 plus 30% of any additional amount.

Stick to your guns and don't let them railroad you into accepting anything less than what you believe you need.

If they start to give you a hard time, since their behavior would have made it very clear that they do not have your best interests at heart, I suggest you simply inform them that you are willing to start over with another doctor, one who will fight FOR you to get the best machine and best treatment available, not fight against you.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
What vsheline said.

And don't take any wooden nickles!

Big Grin
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank all of you for your help and your kind words Big Grin It definitely helps to have support.... you have no idea!!!! Well I guess you do cause your all on here too lol you guys are awesome Big Grin

So I went in to get my prescription and she did put my s9 autoset by resmed on there so I was very happy about that as for the climate line tubing and the hypoallergenic filters and the cleanable dishwasher safe water tub I will have to tell them once I get to the dme which is on Monday So I will be going home with my autoset on Monday and hopefully not having any issues with the things I ask for Im actually really excited which I know sounds really weird but I cant wait to feel better and get normal sleep Im staying with my mom right now (going back home next week) and she keeps coming in to check on me and waking me up telling me im not breathing and im like " im sorry what do you want me to do about it" lol so yes I want that peaceful feeling I woke up with during my second sleep study when I wore a mask that was nice I felt like I could breathe better for the rest of the day I dunno how that worked out but it was nice...It is uncomfortable wearing a mask and learning to breath against air but its a hell of a lot more uncomfortable dragging my butt around all day and having concentration/memory issues and not sleeping properly so I cant wait till I don't have to feel anxious about falling asleep anymore cause im worried ill stop breathing

I found out my air pressure and stuff so I will fix my profile as I find things out Smile

Thank you guys again
Sarah <3
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 01:10 PM)LolaBelle Wrote: So I will be going home with my autoset on Monday
Make sure it does say AutoSet next to stop/start button as noted here
[Image: img_usage.jpg]

Escape Auto is not data capable machine

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 03:29 PM)zonk Wrote: Make sure it does say AutoSet next to stop/start button as noted here

Escape Auto is not data capable machine

Thank you that's true! I haven't really been around these machines before so that's good to know.... I will definitely make sure it says autoset

Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting your apt but, it seems like they giving you a hard time. Keep pushing forward, the hard part is over now & may god bless you in receiving the machine you want. Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 05:24 PM)TBlizz Wrote: Congrats on getting your apt but, it seems like they giving you a hard time. Keep pushing forward, the hard part is over now & may god bless you in receiving the machine you want. Good Luck

Thank you Smile The hard part I think is over for the most part as long as I don't get any trouble at the dme Tongue but im prepared im going in expecting to get trouble so im ready! and hopefully it was just the people on the phone that didn't know what they were doing hopefully the person I work with that gives me my machine will be good and know what their doing and be for the patient instead of against Tongue Thank you for the prayers and God Bless you as well

Sarah <3
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 01:10 PM)LolaBelle Wrote: as for the climate line tubing and the hypoallergenic filters and the cleanable dishwasher safe water tub

The S9 AutoSet now includes the dishwasher safe water tub with it...You will adventually needto replace it so a extra one on hand cannot be bad. It also has a smaller sized 90 watt power supply. My DME showed me the older power supply and they made it approximately 30% smaller. As for the H5i tub she said to not open it up completely every day because it can wear out the plastic latches. I have been just draining mine out each morning thru he drain hole and just break it down once a week for a disinfecting.
I really like my AutoSet! Just had it a couple weeks, but using ResScan I was able to tweak it a little already and my AHI is now below 1.5 each morning.
Sounds like you got everything you need...
Darin aka Tiny...Still Serving and Riding with the ALR...

Support Our Troops, If you can't stand behind them...Please stand in Front of them !!!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.