Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Think i just need a better chinstrap
Think i just need a better chinstrap
here is one from amazon
comments
the one i have is just a piece of junk. I really think i can get leakage
under 10 and ahi < 1 if i just have the right chin strap. should these
chin straps be put on after you put on mask.
thanks to all. i will not give up

[commercial link removed - instead, search Amazon for "Happy Sleep - Chin Strap"]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Think i just need a better chinstrap
I have tried commercial "chin straps" and agree that they are mostly junk. The best thing I have found is strips of Velcro ONE-WRAP Cable Management, Self Gripping Cable Ties attached to both sides of my lower mask strap. Adjust under the chin to whatever works for you. No more mouth breathing from me since using them.
I use the ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're a mouth breather and using a nasal mask it's unlikely that any chin strap is going to solve your problem. I think it would be better to search for a FFM that works for you. Perhaps a minimal one like the Amara view would work for you. I'm a side sleeper and successfully used it until I switched to a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
For people using nasal masks, there is no good chin strap available that incorporates some method for preventing air leaking from between the lips. For many users, that is a deal killer and they end up abandoning their attempt at using a nasal mask. That's a shame considering how much more comfortable they are for many people.

However, all is not lost. You can modify a 3" wide chin strap and add a small strap to cross over the lips. It takes some experimenting and sewing operations but nothing complex at all. I'll attach a clip that I took during the development of the method for my own use that may inspire you to make your own. The chin strap is a 3" one that is available on Amazon for low cost. I have experimented with different materials for the added lip strap and have found several types that are satisfactory. For my own use, I settled on a piece cut from the 3" strap. The strap was sufficiently long as shipped so it provided ample for my new lip strap. I have it sewn to the 3" strap but am in the process of developing a version that will use Velcro for attachment. That would provide for some adjustment and also allow for easier cleaning.

It's important to position the lips together properly before putting the strap across them but that all comes with experience. Once you get it right for your special face shape, it's very easy to put on and adjust. The nasal mask then goes over the top and you're all set!

Edit: Incidentally, I find it necessary to use EPR when using the nasal mask since they are harder to exhale through by nature.

[Image: rbwkti.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Reminds me too much of this:

[Image: dibujo20100407_anthony_hopkins_play_hannibal_lecter.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's it! That is what Frank has been searching for! Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 403 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 853 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 649 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,000 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bit of a battle with the chinstrap, P10 itch Bassline 9 1,989 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  No sweat chinstrap damonbarnum 9 2,635 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.