Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is best way to decrease events?
What is best way to decrease events?
Other than keep your mouth shut, on your own or with a chin strap, or trying to minimize mask leaks?

I have seen some mention of lowering or turning off the exhale relief feature. How does that work?

If that's so, what is more important, comfort or lowering the AI and HI level?

What if you have a low AHI level, mine is around 2.1? Is it worth messing around with this stuff?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is best way to decrease events?
Turning off EPR can reduce central apneas for people who experience them.

With an AHI if 2.1, that falls into the category of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Seriously, at 2.1, you're doing just fine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lanco,
Just a few thoughts: First, I would say comfort is more important because if you aren't comfortable with your therapy, you won't want to continue it.
Second, I know getting your AHI down below 5 is also important, but how you feel can play a part in this whole thing as well.
Third, You ask if it was worth keeping up with this stuff, yes, it's worth knowing what is going on with your sleep.
Hang in there for other ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Numbers are just a yardstick and AHI is a pretty rough measure. What is important is: how do you feel? Do you wake up rested, refreshed, and ready to go? Or you do you drag yourself out of bed and wish you could go back again? If you have an AHI of 2.something and wakeup feeling good, then I would not change anything.

Lowering or turning off EPR will increase the average pressure which can result in fewer events. Turning up your pressure will likely have the same result and may be more or less comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 08:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: Turning off EPR can reduce central apneas for people who experience them.

With an AHI if 2.1, that falls into the category of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Seriously, at 2.1, you're doing just fine.

I may assume that at 2.1 average AHI then there would be little point in me trying a chin strap or full face mask? Unless, for the face mask if I had a night when my sinuses were kind of plugged?

I had heard that one should only use a full face mask only when needed as you can get so used to it that you have trouble keeping your mouth shut on your own if you would want to go back to the nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 398 2 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.