Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thinking of Switching from Full Mask to Nose Mask
Thinking of Switching from Full Mask to Nose Mask
Hello Friends,

Looking for some advise on switching from a face mask to a nose/nasal mask.  I’ve been using a standard mask for the last 8 months with good success. However, the gas has been an issue?.  I’ve dialed down the pressure from 10 to 9 with no relief.  I was never given the option to switch to the nose mesk.  But, my dr does not seem to be opposed.

Anyone out there have any experience with switching from a full mask to a nose mask?  Did it help with the gas?   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thinking of Switching from Full Mask to Nose Mask
I've used both and I don't think the mask will make any difference with gas. It has more to do with swallowing air which can happen with any mask.

Some find elevating their head up can help reduce the problem.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are not a mouth breather then the nasal mask is much better as air leakage is definitely less than the full face mask ( at least, the air leakage aroung the perimeter of the cushion ) .
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only ever used the nasal mask, the AirFit N20.  I still get some aerophagia some nights.  It's never perfect, but some nights seem to be worse than others. 

I do know, from reading here over the past several months, that many users keep a variety of masks to use when they seem to be going through a bad spell with their 'favourite' mask.  It would be useful, if not possible through your supplier...???...to try a nasal mask for a week to see how you manage.  It just might be the ticket, but I haven't been free from swallowing air using my headgear and mask.  That's about all I can offer...………...sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2018, 01:53 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I have only ever used the nasal mask, the AirFit N20.  I still get some aerophagia some nights.  It's never perfect, but some nights seem to be worse than others. 

I got the opposite of your problem :  air rushing out of my mouth and waking me up several time during the night . I am struggling to find out why & looking for a permanent solution .
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have that problem, and it's why I have to tape my mouth shut, tommyngo.  As a user of a nasal mask whose jaw invariably sags open when I fall asleep, if I don't tape my lips closed I soon find myself waking with a gale of air rushing out of my mouth.  As it is, the tape stops the leak, but it doesn't stop my cheeks from puffing out due to my relaxed tongue and slack jaw muscles letting go and the PAP air wanting to build pressure evenly across all surfaces....mouth lining included.  But I also must swallow air at times as evinced by the trail of flatus and eructations that soon begin to erupt as I walk about the house upon rising each morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FJD3!
I have experience from nasal to full, not the other way.
The driver is your ability to use only your nose to breathe. If this presents no problem for you, a nose only solution is far preferable and easier. But if you use your mouth at all, then you have no choice but to use a full version. Or find a way to prevent using your mouth which is something you can train yourself to do with not too much practice.
Its not a matter of preference but rather your ability to use each mask's features.
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my first machine back in 2011... It came with the quattro full face mask... I used it for 3 weeks, and packed it on the shelf and never used it again... It felt smothering... If I didnt lay straight on my back, it would leak all around the edge when I turned over... I got the full face mask because I thought that I breathed out my mouth during the night..

This year, I decided to give it a go again, and my doctor said I should try a nasal mask instead... I tried it, and had instant success with it.... Turns out that I either didnt mouth breathe all night, or using the new mask caused me to stop, because its been 5 weeks now and I NEVER work up to being choked by the machine.

I still had a little issue with it leaking a bit around my eyes, because the mask was a bit big.... I decided that I then wanted to try a nasal pillow mask. I was given the Brevida mask, and it is the option for me! It fits nice and snug... Rarely leaks (my leak rate is around 2L/min) and I barely notice I am wearing it!

Of course, your mileage may vary, but for me, the mask made the difference between being able to use the machine and not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 110 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 165 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.