Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
This Connection is Untrusted
Due to having trouble with my internet connection speed using Chrome and Safari on my Imac, I downloaded Firefox to see if I could get any improvement before going back and complaining to Verizon again. Unfortunately, when I try to connect to any site, I get the above error message.

On some sites, it lets me add a security exception and on others, like google, it doesn't even allow me to do that. I started to do a google search on Chrome to see if I could find a solution but so far, I haven't found anything.

If anyone has any clue as to what is going on, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

49er
12-12-2015 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: This Connection is Untrusted
What program is throwing the error? What is your anti-virus? Try running Malware bytes. Seems to work for me when things get wonky.

12-12-2015 10:18 AM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S

Other Comments:

(12-12-2015 10:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  What program is throwing the error? What is your anti-virus? Try running Malware bytes. Seems to work for me when things get wonky.

Thanks for responding SR.

It is Firefox that is generating the error every time I visit a website. Haven't had the problem with Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

Malware bites just said everything is fine and Avast Mast Security is 75% scanned without any problems.

Turning the wireless feature on seems to have helped speed wise. I will give it more testing to see what happens.
12-12-2015 12:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

(12-12-2015 10:13 AM)49er Wrote:  Due to having trouble with my internet connection speed using Chrome and Safari on my Imac, I downloaded Firefox to see if I could get any improvement before going back and complaining to Verizon again. Unfortunately, when I try to connect to any site, I get the above error message.

On some sites, it lets me add a security exception and on others, like google, it doesn't even allow me to do that. I started to do a google search on Chrome to see if I could find a solution but so far, I haven't found anything.

If anyone has any clue as to what is going on, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

49er

Hi 49er,

This sounds suspicious. You said the initial reason you downloaded Firefox was that you had trouble with your internet connection speed using Chrome and Safari.

I would get the Verizon tech guys on the phone to have a look at the performance issues. As for the alerts, I haven't been a Mac guy in many years and I understand the Mac is more resistant to malware than the PC; however ...

... one of the symptoms of malware is your internet connection slows down (because of stuff the malware is doing). Couple that with a new Firefox installation complaining about untrusted sites, and it may be time to take a critical look at it.

I defer to Mac folks but I have heard malwarebytes is a place you might start to scan your Mac. [edit... um, SleepRider just said that, maybe that's where I heard it Smile]

Even if the machine itself checks out clean, it is possible that something came in via your web browser and set your internet connection settings to go through a 3rd party proxy site which could do bad things, intercept your searches and URLs to redirect you to land on sites or present you with ads that make money for someone. If you have downloaded any new software lately, it's possible those terms of service we never read included the installation of some "free" software you didn't really want.

A strange thing happened to our home network years ago ... a family member was looking for a download, along the way some malware agent got installed on this person's computer. The malware was a clandestine peer-to-peer agent and it began file sharing using the infected machine as a server. Our internet performance gradually degraded until one day I got inside the router and looked at what was going on. When I did I found a ton of traffic going to and from this one computer. On that computer there were files, over a hundred gigabytes of files, that I know this family member would not have been interested in. We got the malware out of the machine and deleted all the files it had created. Once it was no longer sharing stuff to the world via our internet connection, our home network and internet connection performance returned to normal. The moral of the story is if you are on a local network it is possible that another machine on the network could have malware that affects your performance.

This firefox alert you are seeing may be telling you that the sites you think you are going to don't match the known IP addresses for various well known sites. When you permanently register an exception without thinking, you suppress the security mechanism that might be protecting you. It's possible that the other two browsers were compromised, and the fresh install of firefox is giving you legitimate alerts.

Trusted site alerts show up just often enough for sites we really intend to visit that we get in the habit of registering exceptions without much thought. If you are seeing this alert for every web site you try to visit (or at least all the well known web sites you try to visit) then there's a yellow flag you might want to pay attention to.

Bottom line, it seems like you need to figure out what is causing your squirrelly internet connection speed issues and all those alerts. The performance may be issues on the verizon network, or it may be that something you don't want has got hold of your browsers or your computer or your home network.

hope you figure this out and it turns out to be something benign.

good luck,

Saldus Miegas
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 06:58 PM by SaldusMiegas.)
12-12-2015 06:47 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Check the extensions of the browser. It is possible your firewall or antivirus software has added a plugin that is being oh-so-trigger happy.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-12-2015 07:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Thanks SM.

As a test, just disabled the web shield feature of Avast Mac Security and the problem with the websites appear to have disappeared. Google and Yahoo work fine so i assume the rest should be ok. I will do a more thorough test because I also want to see if this browser is any speedier than the others. Of course, if it is, I will have to find another security program that doesn't clash with the browser.

Regarding net browsing speed, I have had this problem with slow speed the day I hooked up the internet service to my computer when I set it up in August. I just didn't get around to complaining about it until recently.

I will certainly look into whether there is Malware but when I downloaded Opera this morning, that also operated slowly. So who knows?

At least I have figured out what was causing the error message.

Thanks again.

49er
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 08:20 PM by 49er.)
12-12-2015 08:19 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Paula,

My apologies for completely missing your post yesterday. And as you see, you were right about antivirus software being the problem since Avast Mast Security was causing the issues.

Just switched to Avira and everything seems fine with Firefox. And even better, the browser seems to be fast which has greatly improved my browsing speed.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Is is greatly appreciated.

49er

PS - After I wrote this post, when I had to check something in Chrome, the speed now seems to be alot better. It looks like the Avast Security Software was the culprit.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015 08:00 AM by 49er.)
12-13-2015 05:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

49r,

I run Bitdefender on my iMac and my PC. N=Malwarebytes for the PC and Mac Scan for malware on the Mac. BTW, these are the paid versions. IMac is my primary machine and I use Google. Never like Firefox as I found it was a resource hog.

Homer
12-13-2015 09:40 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

It does like to suck up the memory, doesn't it? Even when run naked, it is still the top running process.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-13-2015 10:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(12-13-2015 09:40 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  49r,

I run Bitdefender on my iMac and my PC. N=Malwarebytes for the PC and Mac Scan for malware on the Mac. BTW, these are the paid versions. IMac is my primary machine and I use Google. Never like Firefox as I found it was a resource hog.

Homer

Thanks Homer, I will look into those. So far, everything still seems fine but it is always nice to have a list of security software to investigate in case god forbid I run into other problems.

Since Google is working fine and I have the settings the way I want, I am going to delete Firefox. No need to mess with success.
12-14-2015 04:10 AM