Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This S9 sounds like a kazoo
This S9 sounds like a kazoo
Well,about two years ago I took out of service an S9 that had developed a wheezy sound when I exhaled (IIRC). Worse after running all night than when first started up.  I figured probably a bad bearing in the blower.  But I upgraded to the PR SystemOne Auto.  Bought a used one off of CL with about a dozen hours run time and liked it so much better than the S9 that it became my primary.  So this one sat unused since the start of 2015.  

But as some may have read, I have been going through an exercise measuring current draw on any PAP device I can to build a little database for run times on my backup batteries.  So I finished with the Intellipap Auto and last night switched to the S9 (yes I know that the ResMed folks include it in their battery guide, but I suspect they have been more on the, say, conservative side in publishing their numbers (that was the case with the S8 Auto II) and I wanted more realistic numbers for my application).  So, anyhow, as it was in easy reach, I hooked the "bad" S9 up to my 12V setup for a week-ten day test.  

It was a little wheezy going to sleep.  By the time I got up at 4:00 for a bathroom break, the noise was full time and I swear it sounded like a kazoo.  It varied in pitch up on inhale, lower on exhale, but always there.  Kind of like the HDM Z1, but at a much, much lower volume level.  And like the Z1, it seemed that the sound was coimng up the tube.  And definitely sounding like a kazoo.

Mostly, S9s have no perceptible sound.  I think for this one, I may finish out the test and then try the good S9 (also unused since early 2015) in the same test just to see if there is a difference in current draw.  Then I don't know what I should do with the one in question:  keep it against the slight possibility that it may some day be the only functional PAP I have access to, or go ahead and chuck it.  

Note that I got this particular S9 unit as a lightly used backup/travel unit from SecondWind and they were very gracious when I discussed the initial wheezy sound problem with them a couple of years ago, cutting me a screaming good deal on the S8 Auto II, factory new in box.  

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: This S9 sounds like a kazoo
Wondering out loud: be nice if you could play tunes of the S9.

OK more serious like: once you've got more data on battery testing, you are going to post results? I'm curious for real. I'd be interested more in how ResMed fairs on testing despite having the 24V ResMed "disadvantage" of needing converted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given what's happening just south of here, I think the discussion relevant. Some locations are looking at being without power for 3-4 weeks.

Course, it will be limited to models of my machines at my pressures with my sleep and breathing patterns, but it my be of interest to some.

I'll gladly post what I got when I get it. Right now I am running the S9 off of a 12 V system through the official ResMed 12-24 V converter with the patented SneakySecretHandshakeSignal®.

Thus far, I am a little bit surprised at how similar current draw for me is between the S-8 Autoset II, the PR SystemOne 560 Auto, the Intellipap Auto 54(?) series and even the S-9 (but I only have one night of data on thisunit). Of course, pretty much all testing is done without heated humogrification.

Stay tuned -
OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Copy on the humidifier off situation on testing. I'm guessing if I were in a power outage, I can deal with no humidifier and heated hose as opposed to no anything. I'll do my own search as well, but wondering how CPAP runs on a UPS. Good or bad option?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my Aircurve 10 ASV sounds like a calf looking for its mother Cow! oldfart59 23 8,380 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 11 makes "puffing" sounds after power off alexbtr 3 3,723 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: alexbtr
  Dreamwear loud sounds Mersim85 0 552 10-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Mersim85
  Resmed auto sense10 sounds like vacuum cleaner Beaumont1124 3 2,528 11-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mercergirl
Question [CPAP] Sounds like it gets cut off or bogged down at night taconerly 6 1,029 02-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Last Post: taconerly
  New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine S.L. Ping Beauty 12 3,004 08-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  System One Replacement parts? My new kazoo. quickerNu 3 1,031 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.