Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
RE: This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
11 hours of sleep .. I don't get that some weeks in 2 or 3 days ..

Am following your thread as it appears we are similar in the effects the machine has on us .. during the 3 day sleep study I never reached Rem sleep and am wondering the last time I did reach it..

Chest/lungs hurt from over inflation it seems .. tying to get Doc to lower PS from 15 to something more tolerable for me ..
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, sounds like we're the same. So here's what I've done so far:

Max PS (pressure support) originally at 15, now down to 6.
Min PS (pressure support) originally at 10, now down to 1.
This makes the net ps at the required 5.

EPAP originally at 8, now down to 7.4. I am still lowering this every week or so by .2. Vsheline says it can go as low as 5. I'm still finding it hard to breathe against the pressure. But in the first few days of lowering the epap I feel like I'm not getting enough air. When the inhalation comes, I'm fine. So I don't quite get this, unless it's just a problem of emptying my lungs against too much pressure still.

I have no obstructives and no centrals anymore, just hypopneas. I can finally keep my machine going all night. Every few nights I wake up with some swallowed air, but it's usually mild. Before I was getting up many times and having to walk around to dislodge it. It was very painful. And I haven't had the sore over-inflated lungs since I dropped the max ps from 15 to 8.

Hope this helps. It really can get better. Just keep in mind that you're a central type, not an obstructive one.

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Max PS (pressure support) originally at 15, now down to 6.
Min PS (pressure support) originally at 10, now down to 1.
This makes the net ps at the required 5.

Phyllis, you have drastically reduced all of your settings .. I am learning much from your past discomfort and the steps you have taken to help alleviate it. Am wondering if mine are that far off also from where I am starting ..
How long have you been adjusting from the starting position ? I see you joined in May have you been fighting this that long ??

The sleep study showed I had mainly Centrals with no obstructive but with hypopneas and when they increased pressure the centrals increased drastically .. according to the software I am now only having hypopneas and no centrals have shown up .. but haven't been able to stay on the machine for over 3.8 hours .. am now so sore I will take a break of at least tonight without its use.

My doctor has agreed to reduce Max PS from 15 to 10 and is agreeable to more changes to get it to work for me if that is what is needed, so I will be on 5/4/10 and you are 6/1/5, so the numbers getting closer to matching except for my Max PS is double yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 11:29 AM)Whitewabit Wrote: I will be on 5/4/10 and you are 6/1/5, so the numbers getting closer to matching except for my Max PS is double yours.

Yes, we both will have a net pressure support of 5, with you at 4/10 and me at 1/5, so you will be at double what I'm at.

I started the adjustments at the start of this month, September, because what Vsheline said finally made sense to me, and seemed to address my feeling of getting over pressurized. And I understood that centrals need a different approach. My obstructives in the sleep study were handled by cpap of 8, so why was my machine regularly hitting over 24? And I noticed more threads taking about limiting the pressure ranges, not leaving things so wide open that the machine was swinging all over the place, banging against the extremes.

It's a good thing I saw those threads because I was ready to give up. Like you, I was in terrible pain, both with my chest tight, sore and too wide, and the swallowed air keeping me up and pacing.

And the funny thing is, my husband with his OSA and S9 auto has developed lots of centrals, more than obstructives, so I've been gradually lowering his pressures, too. He's now sleeping almost 8 hours, where before he was only getting maybe 6 hours a night during his 6 months of therapy. So in our case, we've both been given pressure prescriptions that were too high for us.

Post Reply Post Reply
What is your EPAP pressure set to ??
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 12:37 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: What is your EPAP pressure set to ??

from a couple of conversations previous:
"EPAP originally at 8, now down to 7.4. I am still lowering this every week or so by .2. Vsheline says it can go as low as 5. I'm still finding it hard to breathe against the pressure. But in the first few days of lowering the epap I feel like I'm not getting enough air. When the inhalation comes, I'm fine. So I don't quite get this, unless it's just a problem of emptying my lungs against too much pressure still."

I think your EPAP is lower than mine, so that gives me hope that I can lower mine a bit more. That's what I'm adjusting now, lowering the EPAP by about .2 every 4 days or so. I'm just confused about why I feel breathless on the exhale, after a change downward, but am fine on the inhale. Not sure if still too high or going too low.

Post Reply Post Reply
took mine in for them to make the adjustment and got home to find the Max PS was lowered to 9. Even better I think then the 10 I was expecting .. stopped and picked up some lanolin cream in advance of any nose soreness .. figured better to have on hand then to need it and have to go find some ..
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a central guy too. My settings for EPAP are 4-15 and my PS is 3-15. My AHI has been mostly under 1.0 for a few months now. So part of me wants to try and narrow it down a bit, but another part says if it's working, why fuss with it! I don't feel any of the lung soreness or air intake or anything like that either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 06:24 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: I'm a central guy too. My settings for EPAP are 4-15 and my PS is 3-15. My AHI has been mostly under 1.0 for a few months now. So part of me wants to try and narrow it down a bit, but another part says if it's working, why fuss with it! I don't feel any of the lung soreness or air intake or anything like that either.

Well, now I'm confused again, unless you have a VPAP Adapt running in a different mode than ASV? I don't seem to be able to set a range for EPAP, can't touch the IPAP settings at all, and PS (pressure support) ends up being a range that can only calculate to a net PS of 5.

I bet most will say if it's not broken don't fiddle. But then, I tend to fiddle.

Anyway, nice to know there are some centrals around, instead of all these obstructives.

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2014, 06:45 PM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 06:24 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: I'm a central guy too. My settings for EPAP are 4-15 and my PS is 3-15. My AHI has been mostly under 1.0 for a few months now. So part of me wants to try and narrow it down a bit, but another part says if it's working, why fuss with it! I don't feel any of the lung soreness or air intake or anything like that either.

Well, now I'm confused again, unless you have a VPAP Adapt running in a different mode than ASV? I don't seem to be able to set a range for EPAP, can't touch the IPAP settings at all, and PS (pressure support) ends up being a range that can only calculate to a net PS of 5.

I bet most will say if it's not broken don't fiddle. But then, I tend to fiddle.

Anyway, nice to know there are some centrals around, instead of all these obstructives.

Wink

Yep, I'm glad you arrived! I feel like I'm on the outside with the central stuff. But that's ok. Here are my copy/paste settings from sleepyhead:

ASV
EPAP 4.0 - 15.0 PS 3.0 - 15.0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 628 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  [Pressure] aircurve 10 asv constantly corrects me and i can't adapt Emtvalenti 7 681 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Treatment] Air curve Asv CPAP mode vs AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP mode (I don't adapt autoasv) Emtvalenti 0 399 05-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.