Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
RE: This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
Therapist called and asked how I did last night and told him I didn't use it per the Doc's nurse to take it slow. He recommended that I try it again since it had been almost 48 hours from the last time I used it for over a few minutes. Told me to set in chair and use it at the new settings for 10-15 minutes but no more and to do it several hours before bed time to see if any soreness returns. Thought that was sound advice, so set watching the news with it on for 16 minutes.. Oops a minute over!

The new setting, although I think may be still too high, weren't nearly as uncomfortable as my old settings and now an hour has passed and no discomfort yet. Will put another call in to the nurse to see if they will lower them to 4-3-8 tomorrow.

But that may depend on if I can wear it all night and sleep with it tonight and what numbers I will see in the morning.

It still seems hard for me to exhale against an EPAP of 5 and wonder if it I need it that high since 27 out of 29 events in my sleep study were centrals. The IPAP pressure is much better but I feel it's still needs to be lower
Post Reply Post Reply
I think practicing with it during the day is probably a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 06:32 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: The new setting, although I think may be still too high, weren't nearly as uncomfortable as my old settings and now an hour has passed and no discomfort yet.
Yay! Good news for sure.

Whitewabit datelne='1412119932' Wrote: It still seems hard for me to exhale against an EPAP of 5 and wonder if it I need it that high since 27 out of 29 events in my sleep study were centrals.
That's my same question. If we have centrals, why do we need extra pressure on the EPAP? Our airways are not closing up (OA's) and we're swallowing all that extra air or over inflating our lungs. Or maybe we can't empty our lungs enough with all that pressure during the exhale.

I wonder if doctors are too ingrained with the CPAP mode, and are not looking at the whole picture when it comes to centrals. It seems to me that we need enough pressure on IPAP to handle any OA's and enough ventilation to handle the centrals.

Anyway, Whitewabit, I think you're on the right path, making adjustments downward.

Post Reply Post Reply
"If we have centrals, why do we need extra pressure on the EPAP?"

Going to ask my doc the same question when I see him the end of the month. During the sleep study the higher the pressure the more centrals I got. Was borderline at best with only 7 apneas an hour at beginning of testing and then they made that worse by everything they seemed to do. And then they started me off on pressure that was high I didn't/don't understand why.

Least yesterday they were willing to work with me unlike some of the horror stories I've read about doctors unwilling to change settings as if they know best. After all it is our body and no one is better suited to know how we feel then ourselves !

I fiddled around with my mask also and got a better fit with it and no leaks at all in those 16 minutes. and I moved around on purpose to see how it would do at each new adjustment I made. Think one of the keys beside being comfortable with the pressure is ones mask fit. You won't sleep if its making noise leaking or is pinching/pressuring a spot on face/head. Am trying the Swift FX again the AirFit P-10 is just too lose, and moves around. Put the straps in hot water trying to shrink them back a bit, drying now. But if that doesn't help will have my wife take up a piece of the strap and re-sew it with her sewing machine. I wonder if the women's size on that mask is just a hair smaller .. anyone out there ever measure them??

Used HPA Lanolin on the nose pillows and it seems to help keeping them in place and should help with any irritation. Its kind of a stick substance, and it didn't make my nose to itch which I was afraid it would.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 09:18 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: "If we have centrals, why do we need extra pressure on the EPAP?"

Going to ask my doc the same question when I see him the end of the month. During the sleep study the higher the pressure the more centrals I got. Was borderline at best with only 7 apneas an hour at beginning of testing and then they made that worse by everything they seemed to do. And then they started me off on pressure that was high I didn't/don't understand why.

Least yesterday they were willing to work with me unlike some of the horror stories I've read about doctors unwilling to change settings as if they know best. After all it is our body and no one is better suited to know how we feel then ourselves !

I fiddled around with my mask also and got a better fit with it and no leaks at all in those 16 minutes. and I moved around on purpose to see how it would do at each new adjustment I made. Think one of the keys beside being comfortable with the pressure is ones mask fit. You won't sleep if its making noise leaking or is pinching/pressuring a spot on face/head. Am trying the Swift FX again the AirFit P-10 is just too lose, and moves around. Put the straps in hot water trying to shrink them back a bit, drying now. But if that doesn't help will have my wife take up a piece of the strap and re-sew it with her sewing machine. I wonder if the women's size on that mask is just a hair smaller .. anyone out there ever measure them??

Used HPA Lanolin on the nose pillows and it seems to help keeping them in place and should help with any irritation. Its kind of a stick substance, and it didn't make my nose to itch which I was afraid it would.
Hi Whitewabit,
It's good to hear that your Doc is willing to work with you.
I dry my P10 headgear in a dryer ,on very low heat, and I have found, (at least so far,) that it keeps its original size and that I don't have to do any re-adjusting.
It's great to hear that the HPA lanolin doesn't cause you any problems, it's good stuff.
Best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy and, BTW,, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I was getting a lot of Centrals with a pressure of 12 - I dropped the pressure to 9 and the centrals dropped significantly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to encourage all of you that make changes in your pressures, etc., to make one change at a time and then leave that change there for at least a week and watch the data. One night won't tell the story as each night will be different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 05:38 AM)me50 Wrote: I would like to encourage all of you that make changes in your pressures, etc., to make one change at a time and then leave that change there for at least a week and watch the data. One night won't tell the story as each night will be different.

I think we all realize that .. I have yet NOT been able to wear it over a couple of hours though because of the soreness I have in chest/lungs because of the pressure settings being were too high at their starting points. will probably lower them again today as called and talked to nurse .. and she was going to speak to my Doctor.

If I am unable to wear it without the pressure being lower what good will it do me .. I would think even at lower pressures then I need to have it set at eventually .. just to get use to it is the best option, the other being to discontinue its use, and I don't want to do that!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't understand the previous comment about shrinking the straps.
All of my masks have adjustments available by pulling off the Velcro, tightening the strap, then sticking the Velcro back down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 12:21 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Don't understand the previous comment about shrinking the straps.
All of my masks have adjustments available by pulling off the Velcro, tightening the strap, then sticking the Velcro back down.

The P10 does not have any adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,501 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 328 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 667 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 652 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 496 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  [Pressure] aircurve 10 asv constantly corrects me and i can't adapt Emtvalenti 7 704 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Treatment] Air curve Asv CPAP mode vs AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP mode (I don't adapt autoasv) Emtvalenti 0 414 05-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.