Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
RE: This VPAP Adapt is beyond me, sorry to say.
(10-12-2014, 05:28 PM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: ...I think I can bring min PS to 0 if I remember right. Then must bring max PS down by 1 for that 5 spread. That will limit the max pressure...

The "5" requirement for PS is only that it must be AT LEAST 5. It can be more--so you CAN have a higher max pressure (maxPS>5),
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 06:21 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Good thinking. It just goes to show that when you have a problem after not having it for some time, you need to think about all of the things that have changed and possibly change them all back or identify a most probable parameter and change it back first.

I made the same mistake for a short while recently and started worrying about what I was going to have to do about the increase in the problem that just came up. Then it suddenly came to me that I had changed something for another reason that might have had an impact on the problem. I changed it back and voila' problem disappeared.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yeah, I know that, but when I get into a new field I don't know it for awhile. This sleep apnea thing is quite complex, with lots of things to learn. I've been too focussed on getting up to speed and getting well.

The problem with the ramp issue is that I noticed that most people here turn it off, so of course I should do that, too. I thought after 3 months I should discard my 'training wheels'. But I think I have had a limited understanding, not seeing that my machine is very connected with my own personal breathing, even constantly recording it and pushing the pattern back at me. But it's my sleeping breathing it should be following, not my lying awake worrying about tomorrow breathing. I should be asleep when it comes on board to do its job.

Maybe this is something for those with ASV machines to think about. At the end of the ramp time, if we're not asleep, maybe we need to turn it off, then back on to start up the ramp again.

Am I on the right track, thinking this might be a good plan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Everybody is different, but you can learn from others experiences and decide how to fold them into your own situation.

I use a ramp of just 5 minutes to ease getting mask on, mosly. Everybody is different,

did you see
The "5" requirement for PS is only that it must be AT LEAST 5. It can be more--so you CAN have a higher max pressure (maxPS>5)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 06:52 PM)jcarerra Wrote:
(10-12-2014, 05:28 PM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: ...I think I can bring min PS to 0 if I remember right. Then must bring max PS down by 1 for that 5 spread. That will limit the max pressure...

The "5" requirement for PS is only that it must be AT LEAST 5. It can be more--so you CAN have a higher max pressure (maxPS>5),

Jcarerra, that's the problem, my max pressure is so high that I'm swallowing air too much and having terrible chest pains. When I started (wide open on the VPAP per the doctor) 4 months ago, max pressure was reaching 23 for 3 months straight. Then I started adjusting EPAP downward and PS support ranges downward. Lately max pressure is 10 or so, still with the air problem. I really want lower max pressure, and that's what I'm struggling with.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 08:15 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Everybody is different, but you can learn from others experiences and decide how to fold them into your own situation.

I use a ramp of just 5 minutes to ease getting mask on, mosly. Everybody is different,
Yes, I must remember not to copy everyone just because they have great ideas.
:grin:

(10-12-2014, 08:15 PM)jcarerra Wrote: did you see
The "5" requirement for PS is only that it must be AT LEAST 5. It can be more--so you CAN have a higher max pressure (maxPS>5)?
Yes, but I want PS to be SMALLER than 5. Why can't it be like an EPR of 1,2, or 3 on your guys' machines? I'm envious, and probably butting my head against a pretty brick wall. I have to learn to live with my machine's unfathomable rules, that's the short story.

But maybe turning the ramp full on might be the simple answer. I'll see tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually you can set the machine to "Autoset" and it will function as a regular S9 Autoset, allowing minimum and maximum pressures, and an epr of 1, 2, or 3.

If I remember my history correctly, you were originally diagnosed and prescribed CPAP with pressure 8. Then, someone else read your reports and decided you had all these Centrals, so you needed something more than a pressure 8.

I have always thought you should be at pressure 8.

Again, this is just me, but if it was my machine and my cute little body, I'd be telling it to run in "Autoset" mode, minimum pressure 6, maximum pressure 10, EPR perhaps 2 to start with, and ramp turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 09:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Actually you can set the machine to "Autoset" and it will function as a regular S9 Autoset, allowing minimum and maximum pressures, and an epr of 1, 2, or 3.

Hi retired_guy,

Actually, the S9 VPAP Adapt does not have the standard AutoSet mode. Only has fixed-pressure "CPAP" mode and ASV mode(s).

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 09:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Actually you can set the machine to "Autoset" and it will function as a regular S9 Autoset, allowing minimum and maximum pressures, and an epr of 1, 2, or 3.

If I remember my history correctly, you were originally diagnosed and prescribed CPAP with pressure 8. Then, someone else read your reports and decided you had all these Centrals, so you needed something more than a pressure 8.

I have always thought you should be at pressure 8.

Again, this is just me, but if it was my machine and my cute little body, I'd be telling it to run in "Autoset" mode, minimum pressure 6, maximum pressure 10, EPR perhaps 2 to start with, and ramp turned off.

Yes, several conversations back I remember you giving me that advice. And others chimed in that my centrals wouldn't be helped with CPAP. But now I'm rethinking this, along with what you're saying. My clinical manual says I can run this machine in CPAP mode (doesn't mention EPR that I can tell), my mode (ASV), and ASV Auto, which adds a range for EPAP. Vsheline says that I can go to that mode if all this doesn't get resolved soon.

A pressure of 6 to 8 feels the best for me. And yet my machine is still maxing out at over 10. I have a few more things I can do in this mode, then it's on to ASV Auto mode to try that out.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 09:12 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi retired_guy,

Actually, the S9 VPAP Adapt does not have the standard AutoSet mode. Only has fixed-pressure "CPAP" mode and ASV mode(s).

Well, I was looking at page 16 of the Clinician's guide and it sure looked to me like it has the autoset mode. But I haven't ever actually even seen one of these machines so I could be reading the manual incorrectly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 09:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(10-12-2014, 09:12 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi retired_guy,

Well, I was looking at page 16 of the Clinician's guide and it sure looked to me like it has the autoset mode. But I haven't ever actually even seen one of these machines so I could be reading the manual incorrectly.

It does look like the manual I have is not the manual I wanted. So sorry for the confusion. If the option is CPAP only, then that at a pressure of 8 as originally prescribed might be a good place to start. A second place to go is to return this machine for one that will give you all the options. Such as the S9 VPAP™ Tx which is the one I got the manual for.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 628 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  [Pressure] aircurve 10 asv constantly corrects me and i can't adapt Emtvalenti 7 681 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Treatment] Air curve Asv CPAP mode vs AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP mode (I don't adapt autoasv) Emtvalenti 0 399 05-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.